window tints?

Taken from: Direct.gov.uk

The windows that matter
The law requires that the windows on the vehicle allow at least:
75 per cent of light through the front windscreen
70 per cent of light through the front side windows
In most modern vehicles there is a slight tint added to the windows when they are made. If you add any more tint it's likely to result in the windows failing to meet the legal requirements.
The rules on tinted windows don't apply to the rear windscreen or the rear passenger windows.

Some places you use give you a cert to say what % light passes through the glass after they have fitted and tested them. Carry this cert around in your glove box and if you do get pulled then you can produce the cert. This is what my friend does as the fronts on her astra do look very dark, and she has been pulled over serveral times. But each time she produces this cert and aloowed to go on her merry way.

what is the legal limit of fronts on cars today?

Put it this way, if there is any form of tint on the front windows, you can guarantee it's pretty much over the legal limit, as most standard glass come with a very light tint as standard anyways.
I had the lightest of light smoke on my front windows on my Passat, it's called a 30% tint, and drove it for almost 10 years with no problems, but got pulled over just before Xmas by a roadside check. Light sensor showed it was over the legal limit, only 54% I think it was, needed to be 70? Had to peel them off on the roadside!

Alot of my firends have found that if there is a noticable difference between the tint from the fronts to the rears (light smoke and then dark smoke) they are pulled less often. Strange i know...........

You can have the rear windows jet black if you want its only the windscreen and front side windows which can't be too dark....otherwise vans would be illegal!

Alot of my firends have found that if there is a noticable difference between the tint from the fronts to the rears (light smoke and then dark smoke) they are pulled less often. Strange i know...........

I can second this, a freind of mine was sick of getting pulled, so on his new car he asked the garage to do the backs as dark as he wished, and then to do the fronts just less than the legal limit say 60%, couple of years on and still no problem, even when he got pulled for speeding the naughty boy.

Oh I'm not recommending to go over the legal limit though, that was his choice!

I can second this, a freind of mine was sick of getting pulled, so on his new car he asked the garage to do the backs as dark as he wished, and then to do the fronts just less than the legal limit say 60%, couple of years on and still no problem, even when he got pulled for speeding the naughty boy.

Oh I'm not recommending to go over the legal limit though, that was his choice!
I had the lightest shade possible that wasn't clear on my front windows with a darker tint from B pillar backwards for 10 years, I got pulled over and had to take them off as they was illegal!

Put clearly, in the UK, apart from a clear film, any sort of tint on the front windows is not legal from my experience.... maybe I was just unlucky that morning, I've been parked up next to policecars at traffic lights and allsorts in the past, and they could still see me clearly. But since being pulled over and having my car on the 'system', I've not bothered to re-tint them.