Windscreen condensation

Hear-Vier

B5 then a B8.5
Reaction score
Is it just mine or has anyone else noticed that the windscreen inside the B8.5 can get very damp/moist, especially during the winter months. Happens more so if left outside on a frosty night. Takes ages to blow away with the windscreen heater blower, much quicker to wipe away with a cloth first.

It wasn't until my old B5 got to about 10 years old before it started happening on that, and it turns out that was due to the drainage vents underneath the screen wash reservoir was blocked and the water built up in a sponge under the floor carpet.

Usual response from Audi main dealer, can't find anything wrong etc., etc..

Tips.

Neat washing up liquid on inside glass use sparingly and buff clear, I did a test against an anti fog , no competition !

Warm air left in cabin condensates on the cold glass, last few minutes of a journey put heating to cold and or lower a window a bit.

Reactions: Hear-Vier
I never have a problem.
Are you turning your aircon off? You should leave it on as it traps moisture.
Is your aux heater turned on, check via MMI.
How do you clear ice from the screen? I use warm water, it also heats the screen I suppose so no breath condenses as I get in it.

Tips.

Neat washing up liquid on inside glass use sparingly and buff clear, I did a test against an anti fog , no competition !

Warm air left in cabin condensates on the cold glass, last few minutes of a journey put heating to cold and or lower a window a bit.
Top tips, thanks, I'll give them a try. Have used Autoglym Car Glass polish which helps only a little.

I never have a problem.
Are you turning your aircon off? You should leave it on as it traps moisture.
Is your aux heater turned on, check via MMI.
How do you clear ice from the screen? I use warm water, it also heats the screen I suppose so no breath condenses as I get in it.
Air con always on. Have noticed that when using the windscreen blower it actually makes things worse for a couple of minutes before it clears up.

Not got MMI and don't know about aux heater, will check the manual later to see if the basic menu shows the status.

Usually clear ice with a scraper. The problem though is there even when it doesn't freeze.

I don't have the problem in my car as its garaged but my work van is prone to this!

I bought one of these from halfords:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...goryId=165732&productId=1145999&storeId=10001

I throw it on the dash every night when I park up, it works for id say 95% of the time, only when the front of my van is soaking wet that it doesn't
Another top tip, thanks. Bit annoying to have to buy something like this for a supposed "luxury" car but only a tenner so worth a try.

Have you lifted the carpets on both sides to check for water?

My leon has a wet drivers side under the carpet. Due to a leaky back door (oo-er)

cat litter in a sock is great for absorbing moisture

Reactions: Gazwould
How old is the car?

Has it had the pollen filter changed?

I would say you have water leaking in somewhere to generate that amount of moisture.

The old Passats had an issue which required the pollen filter housing to be sealed.
Think it was called a proactive repair.
I had my scuttle off last week and noticed just how many leave and sticks where under it. I've cleaned it out. Doesn't take much to block the drain holes.

i had this with my last B8, pollen filter was humped - replaced under warranty

Have you lifted the carpets on both sides to check for water?

My leon has a wet drivers side under the carpet. Due to a leaky back door (oo-er)
Haven't actually checked under the carpet, no. Regularly hoover out the interior and under the carpet mats without noticing any damp there. Guess there must be a technique to take up the fixed carpets without ripping them and getting them back in afterwards?

I would say you have water leaking in somewhere to generate that amount of moisture.
That's what I would have assumed. Audi did a pressure test but they said that didn't show up any leaks.

Maybe I'm just a really heavy breather or generate a lot of hot air...

The old Passats had an issue which required the pollen filter housing to be sealed.
Think it was called a proactive repair.
I had my scuttle off last week and noticed just how many leave and sticks where under it. I've cleaned it out. Doesn't take much to block the drain holes.
Had to look up what scuttle means so have learned something new. Think I'll try to do this too as all the debris build up in my old B5 partly contributed to its early demise. Would have thought this should be done during services but I guess not.

Had to look up what scuttle means so have learned something new. Think I'll try to do this too as all the debris build up in my old B5 partly contributed to its early demise. Would have thought this should be done during services but I guess not.
We as a service centre don't remove it unless the pollen filter is under it. (Vauxhalls and some fords) I had mine off as I was cleaning the car.

Seems like they haven't learned lessons and changed the design or location of the pollen filter housing since a 1994 B5.

Reactions: Stu2w
Haven't actually checked under the carpet, no. Regularly hoover out the interior and under the carpet mats without noticing any damp there. Guess there must be a technique to take up the fixed carpets without ripping them and getting them back in afterwards?
The foam under the carpet is inches thick. It can take a lot to show on top.

Reactions: Gazwould