Windscreen wipe marks - how to get rid of them.????

Q5 TRS

Reaction score
Hi,

anyone have the same problem as me?

when there is water on the windscreen, after wiping the windows, once the wipers return to their bottom of the windscreen position ie normal position, they leave a mark on the screen right in my field of view.

its really annoying. even with subsequent wipes, it is there.

the mark is shown inside the white circle, and also sometimes the shape of these marks is elliptical. and sometimes in heavy rain there is more than one mark.

it seems like the wiper is jumping but it is smooth, and i have tried pushing the wipers further onto the screen, but since the upward stroke is perfect, i cant understand why the downward stroke leaves this mark.

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

i have used autoglym polish, and fast glass, and even tried rainex cleaner. still there.

i just got new wiper blade for the drivers side. i swapped them over but its the same which points me to thinking there is some sort of contaminant on the glass.

any ideas anyone?

thanks

Last edited:
Could be the wiper not being pressed down on the screen hard enough. Try bending the wiper arm slightly.

I notice you're using B7 wipers, I'm sure i've read before about them missing slightly. So whether the B7 screen is slightly different I don't know, but it might be. Try bending the arm slightly.

i tried bending the arm, but didnt seem to improve. im going to give it a few more tries. thanks for the help. never thought of that, just pressing the arm on the screen.

as far as i know, i bought the wipers for the after 2003 model a4s. from vagparts, when it was still trading. some great stuff on there. pity its gone.

ill get back to you with results.

thanks

Bending the wiper arm slightly does seem to a common need when retrofitting aero arms for some reason....

If it's the screen, try claying it and see if that helps.

Not too sure about the green wheels on the Golf!!

I would firstly try giving the blade a good clean, also clean the screen and try sealing it which should help reduce the friction of the blades without effecting their performance.

Gav

try putting some vinegar on a cloth and giving the wiper blade a good clean, might be a build of crap on the rubber

@ 1210tech --- its a new blade. the second i put it on the same mark appeared.

@ quattrojames --- i have clayed it last summer. waiting for the temps to get higher before i do the car again, but if it persists in making a mark, i may do it again soon on a dry day. also, remember when u said if im fitting an S4 bumper you would be soooo jealous>???? welll ahahaha prepare to be jealous......:)
also, the green wheels belong to my brother, he is 20. original BBS wheels from germany cost him only £800 i think! good price for bbs. he had them satin black before that.

@ Detail Ecosse --- its a new blade. the second i put it on the same mark appeared.
i have cleaned the screen with everything i have, and to no avail. maybe it is a pressure thing after all.

gonna do some experimenting.

btw. whats the best method of bending the arm? there is NO WAY im taking it off again, as i snapped the original arm on removing it. so how to bend it without breaking anything?

Thanks

also, remember when u said if im fitting an S4 bumper you would be soooo jealous>???? welll ahahaha prepare to be jealous......:)

Nah that wasn't me ..... :noway:

:huh:

Pictures speak a thousand words!

also, the green wheels belong to my brother, he is 20. original BBS wheels from germany cost him only £800 i think! good price for bbs. he had them satin black before that.

Satin black I can see. Green? Less so.... :wacko:

btw. whats the best method of bending the arm? there is NO WAY im taking it off again, as i snapped the original arm on removing it. so how to bend it without breaking anything?

I took mine off and gently applied pressure to both ends of it over a block of wood in the middle, I wouldn't want to do it in situ personally, although I guess you could if you were careful, but I'd be worried about stressing the motor.

If I were you I'd be more more worried about ugly white circle going on round the wiper faul..........................ah, I see......................

DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE

Would it not miss on the upstroke also if it was a wiper arm bend needed to cure the downstroke.

on the plus side the green wheels match the hosepipe :)

DEVILS ADVOCATE HERE

Would it not miss on the upstroke also if it was a wiper arm bend needed to cure the downstroke.

on the plus side the green wheels match the hosepipe :)

Mine didn't. Don't ask me to explain.... :think: