Wing mirror damaged, replacement needed

Furryhobnob

Reaction score
Hi, so a football hit my passenger side wing mirror yesterday on my Le mans avant, and it's now drooping and flapping around while driving, it looks to have snapped the metal part inside,so looks like I'll have to replace the whole thing?? Unless anyone knows different? Anyhow I've been scouring ebay as mine is the face-lift wing mirrors with the indicators in them and can't find my colour , from googling and pictures it looks like the audi a4 b8 uses the same wing mirrors as my a6 avant, can anyone confirm this, Is the wiring the same etc, paint code is LZ7S daytona grey, if anyone happens to have one for sale, cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah so can see the shape & condition.

Yeah so can see the shape & condition.
Just took these now, let me know if you need anything more specific
d758be550237ac1d6f3e4aa41f9c5d30.jpg
541d646f14b3b518a4d32a2827ba33e8.jpg
09486f3502b48dfa57962bd4ca5e8752.jpg
68135cbb32112b6f47aaeade7865bf75.jpg

Don't know why it uploads them on the side?? Sorry

A football may dislodge the casing, but doubtful it's broken the metal casting, they're quite robust, does the cover move by itself & the glass stays still?

That mirror is known as dumbo style.

If it's the cover, you could probably fix it tbh, needs glass removing then assess inside before condemning anything major.

A football may dislodge the casing, but doubtful it's broken the metal casting, they're quite robust, does the cover move by itself & the glass stays still?

That mirror is known as dumbo style.

If it's the cover, you could probably fix it tbh, needs glass removing then assess inside before condemning anything major.

If I push the wing mirror in I can see the broken metal part, so it's not that robust lol, the glass doesn't move other than with the housing

Then I'd sign them up as a striker as it must have been a hell of a force to break that I can assure, but it's done now so if it's broken then reuse glass & cover & fit new base.

Are they electrically folding?

Then I'd sign them up as a striker as it must have been a hell of a force to break that I can assure, but it's done now so if it's broken then reuse glass & cover & fit new base.

Are they electrically folding?

No they're not electrically folding, and it was a shot that missed the goal by about 20ft too high, and as luck would have it landed bang on my wing mirror, do you know where I could get a new base from?

It has to be specific to your car, so either match with a used eBay base or buy from Audi.

Saloon & estate mirror bases can be different aswell.

It has to be specific to your car, so either match with a used eBay base or buy from Audi.

Saloon & estate mirror bases can be different aswell.

Do you know if the a4 b8 wing mirrors are the same? As if you look for wing mirror caps, the ones that fit the face-lift a6 c6 wing mirrors also fit the a4 b8 ones, I can't seem to find any bases on ebay for the a6 c6 on ebay, and I'm guessing I'd need a part number if I called audi?

I think all of the parts for these mirrors are available separately, at least that's what I was told when mine was forcibly removed by a youth in a Hyundai I10.

Reactions: Furryhobnob
I think all of the parts for these mirrors are available separately, at least that's what I was told when mine was forcibly removed by a youth in a Hyundai I10.
I'm guessing they are, but it's finding the part number that I need

Ahhhhggghhh just realised my mirrors are electrically folding!! Had to cancel the one I've bought, anyone know anywhere I can get a face-lift passenger side wing mirror that folds in electrically, doesn't matter on paint code as I can get it resprayed

Oops, thinks you might struggle to find a used electrically folding one. It seems to be quite a rare option.

Just a thought, but I wonder if the metal bits are common to all mirror types?
Is is the part that bolts to the door that has snapped, or the part after the hinge?

Just a thought, but I wonder if the metal bits are common to all mirror types?
Is is the part that bolts to the door that has snapped, or the part after the hinge?
If you look closely you can see some of the metal that's snapped on the pic, not sure if it's used on all mirrors or not, I've had a quote from audi for the whole mirror for £680 painted to my colour, or around £300 just for the internals

Have just ordered the internals direct from audi for £276, it seems to be a very rare option on the facelift a6 to have power folding, auto dimming with led indicator and led puddle lights, I've scoured the Internet for nearly 2 weeks, emailing people in Germany and other countries with no luck, my housing etc is ok so I'm hoping I can swap them over

The costs soon mount up.
I had a full mirror assembly (without power folding or self dimming), the chrome drip moulding that runs the length of the roof, chrome trim along the bottom of the window, black trim around the top of the door and the drip glass. Add in a little paint and the bill came to just under £2k
Glad I wasn’t paying for it, although no doubt I will be when I get my insurance renewal, even though it wasn’t my fault and the other drivers insurance picked up the tab.

The costs soon mount up.
I had a full mirror assembly (without power folding or self dimming), the chrome drip moulding that runs the length of the roof, chrome trim along the bottom of the window, black trim around the top of the door and the drip glass. Add in a little paint and the bill came to just under £2k
Glad I wasn’t paying for it, although no doubt I will be when I get my insurance renewal, even though it wasn’t my fault and the other drivers insurance picked up the tab.
It's crazy, they wanted £680 for one wing mirror, I've got to hope I don't break the glass when taking it off the broken mirror, as it's self dimming and heated, and that's £120 for that!
And you should be ok with your insurance if it wasn't your fault

Does anyone know what size torx I'll need to get the door card and wing mirror off?

Well wing mirror changed, it had well and truly snapped the metal inside, took about an hour to get the door card off, unplug everything, take the wing mirror off, take the housing and led indicator off mine, and get it all put back together again

My turn to have some fun. A pedestrian showed up between cars in the parking lot and hit the mirror with his arm. Very good feature, the antimony bolt that breaks easily but I have to fix it now.

Since the Bolt is on the car mount, I will try to get a non-folding one and import just the part that monts on the car body. Will give an update.

Attachments

• 8F59F24B-E6F5-464C-80F2-9197F357B2E9.jpeg
    8F59F24B-E6F5-464C-80F2-9197F357B2E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156
  • 990DDFF6-802B-4148-A073-D141B3FE1436.jpeg
    990DDFF6-802B-4148-A073-D141B3FE1436.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 350
Part arrived, this is what £276 gets you!!!
51912e99a8fc010ba0bd6913631810ef.jpg

Just bought this from Audi this week. Cost £368 as my car has auto everything on it and I couldnt find a used one anywhere! Now to go about fitting it. Glad you say it only took and hour, I will allow a lot more time and hopefully I wont break anything!

Yeah the glass alone is about that or more for some, mine is thats for sure.