Wing Mirror gap (yours)

SlapNutz

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen

So this is how it goes. When I went to collect my car the left mirror indicator wasn't working so mechanic ordered a new one in and then proceeded to install it. I got told in the process he broke the mirror while removing it so had to install a new mirror too. All good things happen.

Once I acquired the car adjusted the right mirror no probs...adjusted the left and it was so tight at the bottom that it was having trouble going inwards and then loud crack. Long Line across the mirror it broke. upon inspection it seems it was a very tight fit at the bottom inside. Upon inspection i noticed the mechanic hadn't clipped the bottom case on to the top one properly which was causing the issue so opened it all up re aligned the casing, clipped in everything properly, stuck the broke mirror back on and its moving freely and not scraping at the bottom any more but still a little too close for my comfort.

Instead of going back to Audi and asking them to replace it, I wasn't comfortable with seeing the workmanship that I decided to order a matching heated one and install it myself, all is working fine BUT this one seems to have a much bigger gap at the top for some reason compared to my right.. Please see pics. Is yous the same on the left?

IMG 0206

Right one
IMG 0207

Or could it be the mirror motor is not aligned and installed properly causing this issue?

What's your opinions

Regards
Slapz

Put pressure with your at palm or knuckles against the center so it clips in fully, then check, could be ofset due to too clip not seated.

Remember passenger side angles will be different.

Reactions: SlapNutz
Was your replacement mirror OEM or 3rd party?

Working overseas just now so no pictures, but on my 7 both mirrors are fairly snug fits within the mirror housing.

John :hi:

Was your replacement mirror OEM or 3rd party?

Working overseas just now so no pictures, but on my 7 both mirrors are fairly snug fits within the mirror housing.

John :hi:
Morning Raf

I had a look at the listing itself and it says OEM quality made in Germany which is not exactly OEM product I believe, I have written to the company to see what they come back with.

I will try and flip and place the broken one and this one against the right one to see measurement differences, see how that plays out and will report back.

Regards
Slapz

Reactions: RAF_S7
UPDATE

So upon further investigation it seems the issue was the top casing clips that slide into the motor housing were instead sat behind the motor housing creating a nice gap between the case and tilting the motor forward ever so slightly hence the scraping of the glass at the bottom.

The Audi Mechanic Upon not installing the top case properly which also prevented him from re installing the top motor screws into the case because of this gap created, so instead of trying to fig out where these screw go or to check whether he has done the work properly he must of thought oh they must of magically appeared to help me just in case I loose the originals and proceeded discarded them instead.

After installing the top case properly and clips sliding into the motor housing everything sitting flush but missing 2 screws. Installed original oem broken mirror and voila perfect fit no scraping and even space all round.

Now to order new mirror myself and bare the cost and install it, or get audi to order it for me because of their incompetency and install it myself?

Reactions: RAF_S7 and Eric_RS6
Replacing the mirror glass is actually quite an easy DIY, but if you have an auto-dimming and heated mirror, it’s actually a very expensive piece of glass, so if your not confident beware these can be broken - I know, I’ve done it :blink:

The trick is to get your fingers behind the glass and simply pull it out. It’s quite a tight friction fit but will pull off. I usually adjust the mirror so that it’s at maximum pointing towards the ground, then grip and pull. I broke mine by changing it when it was very cold, and I think that made it harder to unclimbed the plastic prongs from the holder.

john :racer:

done my dynamic mirror indicator strips and can sympathise with the awkwardness of removing and fitting the glass and mirror body trying not to break anything, it was a worrying time applying a lot of pressure on something you think could break at anytime

UPDATE

Mirror was replaced by audi about a week ago, also got to meet a really nice Audi techi who was a really cool dude sat and talked away sharing knowledge for over an hour. was a real pleasure to meet him.

Reactions: Eric_RS6
UPDATE

Mirror was replaced by audi about a week ago, also got to meet a really nice Audi techi who was a really cool dude sat and talked away sharing knowledge for over an hour. was a real pleasure to meet him.
Glad to hear it is sorted mate and that you had a decent tech! Which Audi was that?
I've found a excellent parts guy at an Audi dealer, very informative and helps out where he can (price wise). He even hand delivered a few bits to my house on a weekend!