winter on it's way.

froggy

Reaction score
Evening all,I know its only October but I was thinking about getting off my estate when it snows in the winter.I've got a slight incline to get up in bad weather.In my last car (m135 bmw) I couldn't get up the road with 3inches of snow.Will my S3 cope? cheers Froggy

It will be better than a BMW with rear wheel drive. But to be certain think about winter tyres.
There's lots of u tube videos showing just how much traction can be achieved with winter tyres

Evening all,I know its only October but I was thinking about getting off my estate when it snows in the winter.I've got a slight incline to get up in bad weather.In my last car (m135 bmw) I couldn't get up the road with 3inches of snow.Will my S3 cope? cheers Froggy

I have the same problem buddy...............usually send the staff out to clear the drive first ;)

3fee3-img_1990.jpg

Reactions: S32B, Rob2k68, David83S3 and 6 others
It will be better than a BMW with rear wheel drive. But to be certain think about winter tyres.
There's lots of u tube videos showing just how much traction can be achieved with winter tyres
Trying to avoid winters,once I'm off my estate I'm ok,on to a well salted bus route A road.

Been through 20 winters of driving in North East Scotland.
Never had winter tyres, never had an issue.
Had all types of driving set up during this time.
Adapt to your conditions and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Martinbanshee, Scottyg and 2 others
Winter tyres make a huge difference , far safer should be compulsory in Scotland. A4 unwilling to get out drive without them in the snow

Winter tyres make a huge difference , far safer should be compulsory in Scotland. A4 unwilling to get out drive without them in the snow

Really? I've lived here for 43 years, driven 26 of them and never been stuck once. In my time driving we've had three bad winters. The last one I drove home from work, after having to stay the night in a 520d Msport Auto. Straight home 7 miles without an issue. As has been said, adapt to the conditions.
My cars the last one you can see at the back fence under the lamppost. The car park was cleared to allow us out in the morning.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Seen plenty of bm's stuck clogging up the parkway with 1/2" of snow , once they stop nothing will get them going. Modern car tyres now to wide to be effective in snow even with a diesel lump hanging over the front wheels.

Been through 20 winters of driving in North East Scotland.
Never had winter tyres, never had an issue.
Had all types of driving set up during this time.
Adapt to your conditions and you'll be fine.

This.

It's pretty simple. Stay well back from any car in front, particularly on approach to inclines. Don't use the accelerator to get the car moving, let the auto creep do that for you thus no wheel spin. Don't hammer your breaks but if you do the above you shouldn't have too. For three winters in 26 years, winters aren't worth it.
Although there are now all year winter tyres. Most emergency vehicles run them.

Just got myself a set of Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 for this winter.

Once you've tried 'em there's no going back. Far superior grip when the temp is below 6oC. They disperse water way better than summer tyres and when the white stuff comes they're immense.

e40258522dedac8055d276041ebf97f9.jpg

Your happy that a BM would move in this?
The picture I posted above ended up with approx 2 ft of snow over the next few days. I got home from Blantyre to New Stevenston via Blantyre farm road, Uddingston, Bellshill and Mossend with roads like the above. It's not rocket science about how to drive in snow.

Do you absolutely need winters, no.
Do I have winters, yes 'cause they make life easier/safer when on unlit back roads in the middle of the countryside that are not gritted/salted under any circumstances. As has been said the grip from Quattro and winters is excellent.

My advice would be depending on where you live and when you use your car and if you can afford it then winters are worth it, just a few hundred quid and saves the summer tyres. Ironically though it does make you drive quicker in bad conditions as it feels so under control!

Where I live in France there are several local roads where winter tyres are mandatory at certain times, the roads are closed to traffic without winters and fines are frequently given out.

Depends where you live if winters are worth it or not. The last 2 years in London I didn't see a single drop of snow, though the year before that it was chaos - 2012 I think was bad. Suddenly winter tyre sales went through the roof - but really? Paying £500+, spending all that time in the cold swapping the tyres and then only using them for a week seems a waste of money.

If I lived somewhere - i.e. Scotland - where it was almost guaranteed to snow every winter then I would definitely buy them.

What about getting tyre chains and keeping them in the boot? Saves the hassle of swapping tyres every time. http://www.halfords.com/camping-lei...hains-socks/universal-multigrip-snow-socks-xl

Depends where you live if winters are worth it or not. The last 2 years in London I didn't see a single drop of snow, though the year before that it was chaos - 2012 I think was bad. Suddenly winter tyre sales went through the roof - but really? Paying £500+, spending all that time in the cold swapping the tyres and then only using them for a week seems a waste of money.

If I lived somewhere - i.e. Scotland - where it was almost guaranteed to snow every winter then I would definitely buy them.

What about getting tyre chains and keeping them in the boot? Saves the hassle of swapping tyres every time.

Again, that depends on where you live in Scotland. We've had nowt since 2010 in Motherwell. Therefore, no winter tyres required.

Again, that depends on where you live in Scotland. We've had nowt since 2010 in Motherwell. Therefore, no winter tyres required.

Ah - that was me generalising too much! But you're right - if you're somewhere where it will snow every year (I want to say the Highlands but might be wrong there as well...) then it's worth it, otherwise I wouldn't bother and get those "snow socks" from Halfords.

Reactions: Scottyg
Winter tyres ain't just for the snow. They're for the winter. i.e when its cold, wet and often slippery.

Below 6oC summer tyres get very hard. Brittle almost. Winter tyres have far softer compound and thus remain supple when cold.

The way they deal with standing water is seriously impressive. And of course they're a marvel in the snow.

Reactions: glospete
  • We live around 100 miles from Glasgow and have very similar weather.

My view on winter tyres is - better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.

Last winter was mild, but at the very end there were a couple of days of frost. That caught a lot of people out. My wife's friend told me he could not get his car in for a service as the local garage was full of damaged 4x4s. 4 wheel drive will get a vehicle moving, but it will have little effect with emergency braking and cornering. Four wheel drive will get you up a hill. It will be little use coming back down.

We both fit 4 winter tyres (as required by the insurance company). My Goodyear Ultra 8s are good when it is cold, but not good with temperatures in the mid teens. My wife's Continental TS850's seem much better in all conditions. Check tyrereviews.co.uk.

My wife just has the winter tyres - no alloys. So she can get the tyres fitted to her alloys when she wants. Her tyre storage bags with handles make this method simple. I recommend this for people who are not physically able to change their own tyres/alloys (or can't be bothered).

... a member of the VW forum says there is a new winter tyre review in Auto Express mag. Apparently the Goodyear Ultragrip Performance is No. 1

... I wonder how good they are if we get a warm spell in the winter?

The other thing to consider about winter tyres is after the initial cost you will find that your summer tyres will last much longer (as they are off the car for 4-6 months for me its normally Oct - Easter). I have had winter tyres for the past 2 seasons on a different car and they are still virtually brand new. (Conti winters). Prices do vary and at the first hint of bad weather will jump in price as demand spikes, so get them now.

You may also find your local friendly tyre fitter might have a set of refurbed alloys at a good price that you can fit your winters on. That way you can just swap the wheels over with the tyres on. Summer Alloys then saved from the salt punishment.

As others have stated 4WD is not the get out of jail card that you might think. Its better yes but if you have a bad winter it will not stop you sliding around. 2 years ago, our old 4WD car struggled, I put winters on another FWD car and it turned it into a different animal. Garaged the 4WD on summer tyres for the winter and just used the other car. Ever since then I have sweared by them.

Winter tyres are night and day from summer tyres, in terms of grip levels , ( braking and accelerating) even when its just damp and cold let alone snowing. You dont just use them for the snow! ...They are well worth the expense in my opinion. But each to their own and I guess to a certain point where u live and daily mileage etc.

Good luck.

e40258522dedac8055d276041ebf97f9.jpg

Your happy that a BM would move in this?

Agree with your winter tyres , bottom line far cheaper than my insurance excess , as for this photo before some start questioning my driving my wife's corsa ploughed through on normal tyres but the Audi A4 despite having a great diesel lump overhanging the front refused to move , changed onto winter grips ,unbelievable change , saves a lot of clutch abuse.

Hi, just to add to the arguments for having and using winter tyres.

I ran a full set of Toyo Snowprox S950 winter tyres on my Subaru Impreza WRX STi over the last 6 winters and am a big fan. They transformed the car in the cold and wet, not just in the snow and ice. It became a lot more supple and forgiving than on the standard Bridgestone Potenza RE070s, which have a very rigid sidewall. The ride improved to being only slightly uncomfortable!

Winter tyres also seem to wear slower than summer tyres when it is cold. Mine still have a fair amount of tread left on them. They can be cheaper than performance summer tyres and will probably cost less overall when used over a number of years compared to running summer tyres all year round. Size can make a big difference to price as well. My car came with 235/35 R19 summer tyres but I am looking at getting 225/40 R18 winter tyres at approximately half the price! The difference should cover the cost of the new wheels.

I would say that if you can afford the initial cost, have the space to store them and are prepared to change them twice a year, then a set of winter wheels and tyres is definitely a worthwhile option. It is just a pity that my Subaru wheels and winter tyres will be of no use for my S3 so I am looking for a new set of both at the moment.

Regards,

Ian

I would say that if you can afford the initial cost, have the space to store them and are prepared to change them twice a year, then a set of winter wheels and tyres is definitely a worthwhile option.

People just need the storage space and initial cost of the tyres only. My wife sorts out her own winter tyres and she has never changed a tyre in her life. The initial cost is less too as no alloys required. The tyre depot agreed to change the tyres half price summer/winter.

She has even learned that a tyre (no alloy) is lighter than her suitcase. :) So she can load the tyres (in their storage bags) into the boot herself. The storage bags keep her and the car clean. The tyres get balanced twice a year. The car looks the same. A professional person does all the work.

Some people point out that there is more chance of the alloys getting damaged this way. Though I have to admit that I managed to damage my own good summer alloys when I was rushing to change over my tyres/alloys one winter.

Op your S3 will be just fine as it is, 3 inches is nothing, when we've had bad snow in the past I've actually gone looking for hills etc to see how the S3 would cope "8L" and it's breezed various hills no problem.

I look forward to a bit of snow, my only concern is other drivers.

Reactions: tektrob
Op your S3 will be just fine as it is, 3 inches is nothing, when we've had bad snow in the past I've actually gone looking for hills etc to see how the S3 would cope "8L" and it's breezed various hills no problem.

I look forward to a bit of snow, my only concern is other drivers.

I do not look forward to snow and ice - because of the other drivers. They make me nervous.

Just remember Quattro will help you up a hill. It will be of little help coming back down that hill. As many 4x4 driver discovered in my area last winter - see previous post. When I was doing research into buying a Quattro for my wife, one of the negatives listed against 4x4 was 'over confidence of the driver'.

Winter tyres are still the safest option for driving on snow and ice. Though as I learned - you still can not drive normally. In cold wet conditions the car will still stop 2 car lengths shorter than a car on summer sport tyres. On snow and ice the car will stop in less than half the distance.

About 15 years ago I was coming down a long hill that had just been covered with an inch or two of fresh snow. I touched the brakes - nothing. I pumped the brakes - nothing. I changed down gear - nothing. Luckily there were no cars on the gritted A road at the bottom of the hill. As I would have shot out in front of them. Nothing I could have done about it. My tyres just had no grip. (Conti Premium Contact 2 IIRC.)