Winter tyre advice

bonifacy87

Reaction score
Hello.
I need to buy a set of winter tyres for my trip to Poland this Christmas and I need an advice.
I have standard 18 inch alloys on my A4 3.0tdi and 245/40 tyres. Do I need to buy the same size tyres or I could go with 235/45 18R. If I go with 235/45 18R will this affect my speedometer and what if something goes wrong. Could this affect my insurance?
Thank for any advice.

Your 245/40 tyres have a rolling circumference (new) of 1992mm while the 235/45 tyres are 2010mm so your indicated speed at say 70mph will in fact be 73.5mph so while it will not affect your speedometer your speedometer will not be indicating true speed; that said it's only 5% anyway so hey!

If I were you I'd be fitting a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 245/40 18 Winter tyres and don't worry (I have 'em on my Audi RS3, Audi TT, and Audi A2); better safe than sorry... :scared2:

And the difference is:

BLUEY%20TYRES_Winter_Summer%202_zps75chgoyr.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bonifacy87
Thanks for all advice. 245/40 18 it is then. I'll see about vredestein. Thanks for recommending them.

I use that size for winter tyres/wheels, I think that Audi advise a narrower wheel with maybe a slightly narrower tyre for the best performance in snow/slush, but I stuck with the winter size listed on the door jam (S4 not A4) and the standard 18" optional fit wheel and the justification was that I tend to fit them early and remove them late as these tyres are also useful in cold and wet weather. I'm guessing that you are now going to buy some 19" for summer use?

Reactions: bonifacy87
I'd love to have 19" for summer time. Unfortunately my car is almost like a pack of tic tacs. Rattles from dash, center console etc. Going into 19" would make thing worse and I don't want it. :(

That could be one of the crazy things about the B8 S4, its suspension, as far as I'm concerned, tolerates 19" wheels/tyres quite well, I don't see much change in ride between winter 18" and summer 19". Wife's old 9N Polo certainly rides better on its 14" winters than it crashes about on its 15" summers.