Winter Tyres 225/40/18

RL

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice on winter tyres for my 2014 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic S-Line. Anyone got any recent experiences brand wise for similar car and tyre size?

(I used to have Nokian's on my 2007 8P 2.0TDI)

Doesn't seem to be that many options for 225/40/18 out there for Winter tyres. I am looking for tyres only to swap on to my rims rather than a wheel package.

Any thoughts or experiences much appreciated!

Regards

Richard

I got some Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres last year, bought from HERE, review HERE, came 1st when tested in that size.

Ran these last winter and had no issues, amazing grip no matter how cold it got and work well in the snow, only lost about 2mm over the winter, should last about four years at that rate.

Reactions: RL and Lehn
Bought a set of Dunlop Winter Sport 5 for my S3 as well. Haven't tried them in the snow yet but I'm satisfied with them until now.

Reactions: RL
How did you find your fuel use and what was the road noise like?

As far as I remember the road noise was actually less.
As far as fuel goes, I drive an S3 so never really look. I fill up every 10 days or when the fuel light comes on.
I don't think it was any worse.

Using 225/40/R18 (92V) XL (Extra Load) Toyo Snowprox tyres on our A1 (£311 fully fitted).

Ran them November 2016 to March 2017, cannot fault 'em:

P1030938 Toyo

With superb traction and braking we didn't find them any noisier than our summer Continentals and for sure they'll be back on in November... :racer:

Do you guys just get the tyres swapped on your existing rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avon WV7.

Brilliant tyres, I paid £63 a corner last year for 225/40/18 from Camskill.

Do you guys just get the tyres swapped on your existing rims?

A spare set of OEM rims for me; saves insurance issues plus, they serve as a spares in the event of a summer tyre/wheel issue, and I find them easier to sell on as a 'winter set' later...

A spare set of OEM rims for me; saves insurance issues plus, they serve as a spares in the event of a summer tyre/wheel issue, and I find them easier to sell on as a 'winter set' later...

What do you mean by insurance issues mate?

What do you mean by insurance issues mate?

Some, not all, insurance companies can get a bit petty if you change the rims from OEM; they'll sometimes argue that non OEM rims make the car more nickable. So if you do change the rims best tell the insurance boys. They don't seem to bother about summer tyres on winter roads, strange that...

Some, not all, insurance companies can get a bit petty if you change the rims from OEM; they'll sometimes argue that non OEM rims make the car more nickable. So if you do change the rims best tell the insurance boys. They don't seem to bother about summer tyres on winter roads, strange that...
Good point!

Will bear that in mind. On my old 8P I just swapped the tyres each season on my OEM rims. I guess over the course of their life, the mobile tyre fitter cost probably worked out the same as buying another set of rims.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45bvtc
I have winter tyres on OEM 16" rims compared to the summer tyres on 18". 16" tyres are cheaper, and if it does slide into the curb its not a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have winter tyres on OEM 16" rims compared to the summer tyres on 18". 16" tyres are cheaper, and if it does slide into the curb its not a problem.

On what car Phil?

Do you have any issues with ride and handling going 2 sizes smaller?

On what car Phil?

Do you have any issues with ride and handling going 2 sizes smaller?

Hi

It's an A3 S-Line. It normally runs on 225x40x18 when I go to 225x55x16 they work out the same size. In winter it handles just the same with the extra grip.

Just to add I got a set of A3 16" wheels of a A3 sport the wheels fit and if we end up curbing them in the snow it's ok

I just got a full set of 205 x 55 x 16 Continental WinterContact TS860's. Just looking for a set of 16" wheels now. Should be good on the TDI quattro.

Used 16" Conti's on my previous astravan and still use them on the Skoda VRS. They have been amazing in all winter weather.

As far as I remember the road noise was actually less.
As far as fuel goes, I drive an S3 so never really look. I fill up every 10 days or when the fuel light comes on.
I don't think it was any worse.

Same experience regarding noise here. Very low for a tyre with that much/deep pattern. And regarding fuel economy: :whistle2:

IMG 3435 Large

Another vote for Dunlop winter sports, very impressive handing in both dry and wet and can only feel the squidgyness when pushing on.
I run a spare set of OE S3 rims with winters to avoid any insurance issues.........some insurance companies wouldn't be pleased about non OE rims.

Despite the tread depth winter tyres do seem to have very good wear rates although you shouldn't run them past the first tread block gauge to continue to get their snow benefits.

Reactions: Phil-1 and RL
I got a set on Nokia Hakka R2's Nordic studdless versions. In size 225/45/17. Very good tire for snow and ice. The speed rating is only T, but more than enough for winter season. Set of four cost me 650€ when I bought them in May. Saved around 300€ comparing to buying them now.

Same size and swap on rim or a separate set?

Since I bought the car with 16" rims, I'll be buying these winter tyres and mounting them on current 16" rims (205/55/16 I believe).

About to buy new 18" rims for summer and will have to buy new summer tyres for those as well (probably 225/40/18 or 235/35/18).

Thanks for the help guys. After much reading of reviews and your thoughts I have ordered a set of Dunlop WinterSport 5 via Camskill.

Thanks for the help guys. After much reading of reviews and your thoughts I have ordered a set of Dunlop WinterSport 5 via Camskill.

Good choice you’ll not be disappointed :racer:

That's a hell of a tall balloon tyre profile Phil's got , close to 3.5cm more .

225 55 16 , 123.75mm

225 40 18 , 90mm

I do laugh when guys run 215 35 19 elastic bands , 75.25mm .

I just got a full set of 205 x 55 x 16 Continental WinterContact TS860's. Just looking for a set of 16" wheels now. Should be good on the TDI quattro.

Used 16" Conti's on my previous astravan and still use them on the Skoda VRS. They have been amazing in all winter weather.

I have 2 sets of Fox FX04 16" wheels ordered. One set for the A3 and one set for the VRS. Brand new, getting them for a very reasonable price. I would have preferred the FX06 but the FX04 were available and surplus to requirements (from a local alloy dealer). I will be getting the tyres fitted in the next week or two.

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/fox-racing/fx004/silver/16-inch

https://camskill.co.uk/m96b0s629p14...Eff_:_C_Wet_Grip:_B_NoiseClass:_2_Noise:_72dB

Possible change of plan. I have the chance of a set of these used Audi wheels for around the same price as the new Fox ones.

What wheels are these?

Am I better with the Audi ones?

IMG 20171026 130957

Possible change of plan. I have the chance of a set of these used Audi wheels for around the same price as the new Fox ones.

What wheels are these?

Am I better with the Audi ones?

View attachment 139867

I would take the Audi ones IF they have the right size and offset - which is impossible to see from a picture. Why not just ask the person/place where you will get the wheels from?

I would take the Audi ones IF they have the right size and offset - which is impossible to see from a picture. Why not just ask the person/place where you will get the wheels from?

I think they came off a nearly new A3. They are a trade in via the same place that have the Fox wheels. They would swap them no problem if they didn't fit correctly. Very good company to deal with.

I think they came off a nearly new A3. They are a trade in via the same place that have the Fox wheels. They would swap them no problem if they didn't fit correctly. Very good company to deal with.

Then ask them is they would be so kind to take some pictures of the inside of the wheels where the size is written.

Got my Winter Sport 5's fitted today. The seem alright and ride/noise is pretty much same as summers. Only thing I've noticed is some wheel spin and traction control kicking in occasionly when setting off. Do they just need a bit of time to bed in? Also I guess with it being 9/10 degrees today they will be a little softer...?

That's a hell of a tall balloon tyre profile Phil's got , close to 3.5cm more .

225 55 16 , 123.75mm

225 40 18 , 90mm

I do laugh when guys run 215 35 19 elastic bands , 75.25mm .

225/50 R16 it's the same size as the A3 sport.

The best bit about having winter wheels and tyres is if the wife hits the curb it doesn't matter to much.

Reactions: Gazwould
Got my Winter Sport 5's fitted today. The seem alright and ride/noise is pretty much same as summers. Only thing I've noticed is some wheel spin and traction control kicking in occasionly when setting off. Do they just need a bit of time to bed in? Also I guess with it being 9/10 degrees today they will be a little softer...?

Also just noticed while washing that the OF Tyree have an orange and white line showing. The NS are on the inside so can’t see them. There’s nothing to say that they should be or not, appear to be outside as the rim protector is there. Anyone else who has these tyres got the same?

96621e2444ac4064cc5fae85ff0a06d8.jpg

As can be seen on your photo the tyres are rotational/directional so as long as the arrow is pointing in the right direction you are OK.

The tyres require breaking in for about 300-500 miles and they have to have the release lubricant from manufacturing to be worn off before traction improves. YES, winter tyres have softer sidewalls