Winter tyres for A3 Sportback

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
Thinking on the lines of buying 4 steel rims and have them fitted with winter tyres. Currently running 225x45x17 Pirelli Rosso's. Have seen steel rims on sale on E-bay from Germany, but they are all 16", and some even come with tyres fitted. Need advice on a suitable tyre type and size for 16" or 17" rims. Can I fit 16" rims with 225x55x16 winter tyres and have good performance in snow and wet? Or would slightly narrower tyres be better? Any and all advice really appreciated. Car is as signature.

I have the same size Pirelli rossos as you at 225/45x17 for the summer. My winter tyres are 205/55x16 which are very nearly the same rolling distance. Narrower tyres are supposed to be better for the winter. Can't say how much better the winter tyres are as we didn't get any snow here last winter, but they seemed to grip quite well in cold & damp conditions - and were slightly quieter than my summer tyres. Think my winter tyres are Dunlop wintersport 3d.

I'm no tyre expert but I would say the more tyre contact with road surface then the better grip. So a wider/larger tyre would improve your chances of safety.

I've been reading rave reviews around this tyre:
Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D | the Dunlop SP WinterSport 4D reviewed and rated | the online tyre guide

When winter comes I will be getting those. I've kept away from Dunlop Tyres most my life as they have a tendency to over-hype their products but I've had the pleasure of trying these out in Canada and I was very impressed! Worth reading up on and looking into.

They are available in 225x45 R17 as well.

in snowy conditons you dont want wide tyres as they just float on the slow/ice/water. the skinier the better then sink throught the snow. i have 205/55/16 on my BE but as pjr said never got to really try them out. only problem i have now is ive fitted S3 front brakes to my car and not sure the 16's will still fit. opps

in snowy conditons you dont want wide tyres as they just float on the slow/ice/water. the skinier the better then sink throught the snow. ..
spot on

Skinny tyres cut through snow & water better than wide ones, which roll over the top of it! you get more bite when cornering because of that. A good yardstick would be Ice rally cars ..they use ultra skinny tyres.

I know that... many many years ago in a wide tyre shod fwd hot hatch, I was passed by a 2CV on a snow covered Scottish dual carriageway..:blush:

spot on

Skinny tyres cut through snow & water better than wide ones, which roll over the top of it! you get more bite when cornering because of that. A good yardstick would be Ice rally cars ..they use ultra skinny tyres.