Winter Tyres & Wheels

way318

Reaction score
I know it may be a bit early to talk about winter tyres & wheels, but with me not putting winter tyres & wheels on last year and not getting stuck anywhere I still plan to put some on this year. But before I buy another set of wheels & tyres I just wanted to see what other people are using and what size is best to go for.

I've currently got 225/40/18 fitted and was thinking of going for 16" wheels with 205/55/16's?

If you have 312mm Front Brakes - the lowest you can put on would be the 16's.

a set of 16" Audi Trapeze would look good, I currently have these with 205/55 profile.

If you have 312mm Front Brakes - the lowest you can put on would be the 16's.

a set of 16" Audi Trapeze would look good, I currently have these with 205/55 profile.

16" Audi Trapeze were originally fitted to mine and still got one as the spare, so I know they will fit.

just buy a quattro and forget about it :)

Think you would still need winter wheels & tyres even with 4WD

Winter tyres on Trapez alloys seems to be a popular choice.

Thats what I'm finding, its just trying to get a set at a decent price.

Any recommendations on which make for winter tyres?

I've no experience of winter tyres so can't help you there.

I appreciate that I live in Dorset, but last year we had 8-10" of snow and I got everywhere I needed to on my half worn Conti SC2's. Of course it depends where you live, but on a single track road you're only going to get as far as the BMW in front of you!

Think again, as quattrojames has said even with worn non winter tyres 4wd cars are still brilliant at pulling away in the snow. I usually buy impreza non turbos over the winter months but this year deceided to give the quattro a try.

Think again, as quattrojames has said even with worn non winter tyres 4wd cars are still brilliant at pulling away in the snow. I usually buy impreza non turbos over the winter months but this year deceided to give the quattro a try.

I'll grant you - they are better at 'pulling away' than a 2wd car. BUT - when you try and stop, or go round a bend - whoops!! Only as good as the tyres - and wide, low profile hard summer tyres are sh1t for those two mentioned manoevres.

How do I know this? Last winter in the snow!!

That's why I'm seriously thinking of investing in a set of winter rubber. I'm led to believe that they're MUCH superior to hard summer tyres when it comes to cornering and, crucially, stopping.

Apparently the difference puts them on a different planet when it comes to snow and ice.

I've heard that too. They're a much softer compound so come into their own below 7C I think it is, meaning you can run them quite comfortably for 3-4 months a year.

You've only got to travel across the channel, and in most rural areas of France winter tyres are pretty much a standard thing.

I've heard that too. They're a much softer compound so come into their own below 7C I think it is, meaning you can run them quite comfortably for 3-4 months a year.

You've only got to travel across the channel, and in most rural areas of France winter tyres are pretty much a standard thing.

Yes, I've heard that as well.
My tyre supplier says that, in the more northern countries of the EU, new cars are SUPPLIED with two sets of wheels and tyres - one set for summer, one for winter.
In those countries, it is, as you say, standard practice to change to winter tyres from end October to end of March, and then back on to hard, summer compounds for the warmer weather.
I understand that the Vredestein Wintrac and Snowtrac tyres are supposed to be up there with the best.

for the last 2 years i have actively gone out in the worst snow conditions in the imprezas to test out their 4wd capabilities and never got stuck or come close to crashing because i couldnt stop the car.
no doubt if they had winter tyres on they would of been better but they are simply not needed in this country on 4wd cars because 4wd cars will pull away on snow/ice quite easily even with summer tyres on and if you find yourself driving downhill and skidding you have been driving too fast.

Last edited:
for the last 2 years i have actively gone out in the worst snow conditions in the imprezas to test out their 4wd capabilities and never got stuck or come close to crashing because i couldnt stop the car.
no doubt if they had winter tyres on they would of been better but they are simply not needed in this country on 4wd cars because 4wd cars will pull away on snow/ice quite easily even with summer tyres on and if you find yourself driving downhill and skidding you have been driving too fast.

I do agree that 4WD drive cars will be better than a 2WD with summer tyres fitted, but as I can't afford to swap to a 4WD/Quattro car my best option is to swap my summer tyres for winter ones.

In the Scandinavian countries, it is compulsory to change over to winter tyres at a specific time of year regardless of weather conditions. But afaik, the tyres they use are not what we would refer to as winter tyres, they have little metal studs embedded in the thread. Not sure if you would be allowed use them over these parts as they would tear up the road but they make a huge difference on any car.

In the Scandinavian countries, it is compulsory to change over to winter tyres at a specific time of year regardless of weather conditions. But afaik, the tyres they use are not what we would refer to as winter tyres, they have little metal studs embedded in the thread. Not sure if you would be allowed use them over these parts as they would tear up the road but they make a huge difference on any car.

now them studded tyres would be excellent for safety, but would be hard to have some 4 wheel drifting fun in the snow :)

Ah still plenty of fun to be had though, frozen lakes, etc. Drifts are still possible but the studs eventually grip so if your not gifted and I do not claim to be, can be a bit like bowling with the side barriers up.

I've got a spare set of 16" Audi Alloys sitting in the shed that I was thinking of putting winter tyres on to.

But, I've just seen that MyTyres sell winter tyres complete with a set of steel wheels for around £100 upwards each.

Anybody purchased these and got any comments?

I noticed when driving down to the Alps skiing a few years ago all these high end cars with scabby steel wheels on, now I know why!

I've got a spare set of 16" Audi Alloys sitting in the shed that I was thinking of putting winter tyres on to.

But, I've just seen that MyTyres sell winter tyres complete with a set of steel wheels for around £100 upwards each.

I noticed when driving down to the Alps skiing a few years ago all these high end cars with scabby steel wheels on, now I know why!

i couldnt justify buying a set of snow tyres when i know with quattro and normal tyres it is highly unlikely where i live that i would get stuck.
4 skinny snow tyres on a quattro a4 would be brilliant no doubt but im not conviced they are needed.

I hear what you're saying, but it's not just about not getting stuck though.

I hired a car with winter tyres on it in Sweden (not studded, you can't really use those on tarmac anyway), and I was stunned by how much general grip and braking you have on snow/slush compared to what I've experienced on standard tyres over here.

As others have said, quattro is a double edged sword. Yes, traction is brilliant, but cornering and braking are just as dire as on a standard two wheel drive car.

Don't forget that winter tyres are formulated to work at lower temps on winter/wet roads, greatly reducing braking distances as well as improving things when the white stuff turns up.

Having said that, I tend to think that if I've done ok without them all these years, then I probably don't NEED them! :)

Last edited:

Yes - and I've just seen that MyTyres are selling 225/45 x 17 winter tyres for £64 each, including vat and delivery. That's cheap, for sure. BUT - are they any good? Anyone have any knowledge of these tyres?

Try go for recommended brands than cheap. You wouldn't buy cheap summer brands so why buy cheap winter brands like sunny etc.?

In our conditions, if driving quattro you can generally tip toe round places, but winter will grip and give you decent traction

I think if you can afford initial outlay spread the miles between winter and
Summer tyres as each will give you the benefits at the road condition we find in each months of the year.

I'm going winter for sure as have gone rwd, but thinking I would deffo do the same if had a
Fwd.

Quattro will get you going but come braking and turning, it doesn't work well

Quattro will get you going but come braking and turning, it doesn't work well

Apologies if I've misconstrued this, but a quattro will to a certain extent, stop and turn better than a fwd. Engine braking alone from all wheels will keep the car a lot more balanced than just braking from one of the vehicle, and the same principle for turning, 4 driven wheel will turn smoother and more evenly than from just one end of the car.

In essence what you say is correct, but I just wanted to clarify as you've said "quattro doesn't work well"!

My advice, DON'T drive in the snow! It's not your own driving you need to worry about it's other people's. Last winter I saw a guy in a jeep thinking he was a rally driver, drifted round a corner straight into a Fabia, nasty accident! I live on a steep long hill and you wouldn't belive the speed some people come down in the snow, I've seen so many accidents since we moved in it's unreal, including a TT straight into the front of a bus right outside my house! Not worth it IMO.
This year I've saved a few holidays so I can just ring up work and take annual leave instead of risking it, also means I can go sledging!!!!

I've got a set of 16" 'competition' wheels for my B7 quattro (205/55R16). With winter tyres on it's awesome.

And, (whisper it), it drives and rides better on 16" tyres than 18".

Ok, so what about Auto sock / Snow socks ?
I hear they are good for fresh snow, but im wondering how long they would last when it turns to ice and slush
Not got the spare cash to be slashing out at the moment, so these or a set of cheap rims from Scapyard and then some 2nd hand winter tyres
Hmmmm