winter tyres

sorry guys i ment to put wet/winter tyres :embaressedface

as i have my little one in the car a majority of the time and the missus drives it alot of the time i wudnt mind a decent set, iv never really worried about tyres so dont really know what i should be getting :/

thanks for all your comments :D

knoxie

i got nankang sv-2 tyres for this winter......seem to get remarkably good reviews for a reasonable price tag. Not quite as good as your big brands (vredestein/dunlop/conti etc.) but a good balance by the sounds of it......although this winter will be my first experience of winter tyres.

£80 each from mytyres for 225/45/17

Uniroyal Rainsport 2s for 9 months of the year, Pirelli Sottozeros on the front for 3 months over the winter. The end.

Got a pair of used Sottozeros (£230 EACH RRP) for £120 for the pair with 5 - 6mm tread left to put on my R32 winter wheels.
I expect to be amongst the fastest moving objects in Aberdeenshire this winter.
Expecting some fun tailslides too (will have Falken 452s on the rear winter wheels and 452s are not good on snow / ice!)...

Summer tyres all year round on our cars, just like the vast majority of drivers in this country we have never needed winter tyres, we just drive extremely carefully in extream winter conditions

DC

I will be changing over to winter wheels and tyres soon, as I dont want to run my 19s through the winter crap and salt, but I need to buy tyres for my winter rims anyway, and I have been offered a really good deal on some 225/45x17 winter tyres so its gotta be worth a go.

do-it.png

Its a quattro you dont need fukin snow tyres wre not in iceland, just buy some decent tyres job done, I drove my S3 everyday through last winter with maxxis tyres which aren't my favourites but coped ok. If I was looking at at a S3 which had budget tyres on I'd never heard of I would have ran a mile these are high maintenance cars which need money spending on them so what else has been done on a budget?:

Jemis, try going out in the snow with your budget tyres on & then try & stop from 40mph.
Yes its a 4wd, but you will learn very quickly that they might get going easily enough, but (don't) stop the same as any normal car!

From real life experience I can safely say that only the idiots who have never driven with winter tyres on dismiss them.

Jemis, try going out in the snow with your budget tyres on & then try & stop from 40mph.
Yes its a 4wd, but you will learn very quickly that they might get going easily enough, but (don't) stop the same as any normal car!

From real life experience I can safely say that only the idiots who have never driven with winter tyres on dismiss them.

I concur... I don't have actual winter tyres but I do have a set of yoko M&S tyres on a spare set of Avus's and the difference is night and day... the level of grip afforded in the snow comparative to my normal tyres is a world apart...

I normally ever run these when we have snow rather than all winter long as under normal/wet conditions they are not the best (they are not an all round winter tyre) but you can drive at 30/40mph with complete confidence and that makes a hell of a difference...

A couple of years back just after the snow cleared up I swapped back to the normal tyres and it snowed over night... set off to work and I was sliding everywhere at low speeds... the yokos went straight back on...

When these are worn (got them from ebay for a bargain price) I would have no hesitation getting a set of winters

<tuffty/>

Its a quattro you dont need fukin snow tyres wre not in iceland, just buy some decent tyres job done, I drove my S3 everyday through last winter with maxxis tyres which aren't my favourites but coped ok. If I was looking at at a S3 which had budget tyres on I'd never heard of I would have ran a mile these are high maintenance cars which need money spending on them so what else has been done on a budget?:

Im with the guys above, 4wd gets you moving fine, but braking and going around corners is the same! my dad has a nissan navara, exactly the same issue - get off the drive and up the road no problem, try to turn and stop - never going to happen!! we stuck some proper tyres on and the difference was truely amazing!

I agree with a few other guys, dont knock winter tyres till you have tried them!

Im with the guys above, 4wd gets you moving fine, but braking and going around corners is the same! my dad has a nissan navara, exactly the same issue - get off the drive and up the road no problem, try to turn and stop - never going to happen!! we stuck some proper tyres on and the difference was truely amazing!

I agree with a few other guys, dont knock winter tyres till you have tried them!
Not argueing,but winter tyres are worse for braking in wet weather than summer tyres!,and like i said in snow im not against them,just alot of money for not alot of snow!,and i cant get snow tyres for my 19's!,and cant get 18's,and 17' inch wheels won't go over the brakes so i cant try them if i wanted!

Incorrect. Once your below 7c summer tyres start to become worse at braking in wet weather than a good winter tyre. The reason is simple, summer rubber compounds quite simply get too hard in very low temperatures. Winter rubber is blended differently so it stays sticky at very low temperatures.

No idea what brakes your running, but given you can get 365mm RS4 disks/calipers under 18's you'd have to have something pretty extreme to require 19's for brake clearance. You'll find plenty winter tyre options available in 225/40r18.

Incorrect. Once your below 7c summer tyres start to become worse at braking in wet weather than a good winter tyre. The reason is simple, summer rubber compounds quite simply get too hard in very low temperatures. Winter rubber is blended differently so it stays sticky at very low temperatures.

No idea what brakes your running, but given you can get 365mm RS4 disks/calipers under 18's you'd have to have something pretty extreme to require 19's for brake clearance. You'll find plenty winter tyre options available in 225/40r18.
I work in a tyre depot,and have'nt came across many 18 inch winter tyres yet,mayby from germany,we have got some but not easy to find!,theres a auto car review on the braking cornering of winter tyres not in snow,the braking from 70mph was nearly 10 meters more to stop over summers in wet weather!,search autocar winter tyres!,apart from that they dnt do to bad!

Last edited:
Not argueing,but winter tyres are worse for braking in wet weather than summer tyres!,and like i said in snow im not against them,just alot of money for not alot of snow!,and i cant get snow tyres for my 19's!,and cant get 18's,and 17' inch wheels won't go over the brakes so i cant try them if i wanted!

Only when the temperature is above around 7c....which for around 3 months of the year it isn't.

Honestly, you're banging your head against a brick wall, we understand you don't want them and thats fair enough nobody is saying you should go and buy them, but to deny proven facts and claim they don't do the job as intended is just becoming plain boring mate.

They are called "winter tyres" for a reason, they are not "snow tyres", as they are designed to work better in the "winter" which funnily enough is exactly what they do.

Reactions: sportback A3
I work in a tyre depot,and have'nt came across many 18 inch winter tyres yet,mayby from germany,we have got some but not easy to find!,theres a auto car review on the braking cornering of winter tyres not in snow,the braking from 70mph was nearly 10 meters more to stop over summers in wet weather!,search autocar winter tyres!,apart from that they dnt do to bad!

*** mate!! Are you not listening!! That Autocar test was a specific test in temperatures ABOVE 7c it states that at the beginning. Of course they won't be as good, thats not the conditions they are designed for - nobody is disputing that.

Funnily enough Autocar recommend the use of winter tyres when temperatures are around or below 7c.

*** mate!! Are you not listening!! That Autocar test was a specific test in temperatures ABOVE 7c it states that at the beginning. Of course they won't be as good, thats not the conditions they are designed for - nobody is disputing that.

Funnily enough Autocar recommend the use of winter tyres when temperatures are around or below 7c.
Free contry is'nt it!,thought you can have a debait about things on asn!,i dnt want to argue either,it is boaring,and i was replying to someone else!,im just getting my point across that they are for those conditions!,but there are people saying on hear they have there winter tyres on already so they will be brakeing 10 meters longer to stop,food for thought!!

You should also bear in mind, that comparing a good tyre like the Eagle F1's on my car, with some budget wanli/linglong/triangle rubbish, would easily see a difference of over 10m in a wet stopping test from 70mph, even in the middle of summer. Yet many people drive around on these hopeless budget tyres year round...

Chatting to my MOT tester recently, he was saying he cant remember the last time he actually sold decent tyres, every set hes sold in many months have been budget tat. I had to buy my Eagles online, because none of the local garages could even give me a price on them. The whole reason this country grinds to a halt when some snow or ice comes, is the country is entirely unprepared for the weather, and are driving around with tyres that are not only not designed for winter use, but hopeless in the summer too.

You should also bear in mind, that comparing a good tyre like the Eagle F1's on my car, with some budget wanli/linglong/triangle rubbish, would easily see a difference of over 10m in a wet stopping test from 70mph, even in the middle of summer. Yet many people drive around on these hopeless budget tyres year round...

Chatting to my MOT tester recently, he was saying he cant remember the last time he actually sold decent tyres, every set hes sold in many months have been budget tat. I had to buy my Eagles online, because none of the local garages could even give me a price on them. The whole reason this country grinds to a halt when some snow or ice comes, is the country is entirely unprepared for the weather, and are driving around with tyres that are not only not designed for winter use, but hopeless in the summer too.
True!