Winter tyres

JohnboyC

Reaction score
I have been offered a set of steel wheels with hardly used 225 50 16 winter continental contacts fitted. They came off a mates car that he used. For a month when in Germany on his 2.0 petrol s line b8 A4.

He wants £140 for the 4 wheels and tyres ( he paid 900 euros for them) - is it worth me getting them for my 2.0 tdi s line avant Quattro. ( I like the idea of saving my 18" s line alloys over winter)

Do the winter tyres wear out fast - opinions please

Last edited:
As above a bargain, Is the tyre size correct as I thought the correct 16 inch size was 225 /55 /16 . If they are 50 profile tyres they are a little small about 3.5% difference over the correct size and car will sit about 12mm lower.

Karl.

As above a bargain, Is the tyre size correct as I thought the correct 16 inch size was 225 /55 /16 . If they are 50 profile tyres they are a little small about 3.5% difference over the correct size and car will sit about 12mm lower.

Karl.
Yes you are right Karl, they are 55's

"Do the winter tyres wear out fast - opinions please"
I've used Michelin Alpins on three cars now and they don't wear out quickly, so I'd guess your tyres will not either. As well as saving the alloys from winter salt etc,you are saving the summer tyres. If you have the space to store the "other" wheels it makes a lot of sense to use cold weather tyres when it is cold!

Reactions: JohnboyC
Well folks, got the Winter Tyres - all Continentals with around 7.5mm of tread on them....had them fitted yesterday ...have to say as they are 225 /55 /16, and not my usual 245/40/18's the ride is surprisingly good, and there is a lot less road noise....
So, before :
Side 1

After :

Side 1 Take 2

The wife says to me "what have you done?" ...LOL

But the way I look at it is, 1) I save my summer tyres for the summer, 2) My S-Line 18" Alloys stay in pristine condition, 3) It looks like a drug dealers car, 4) Who's gonna steal it with those wheels (LOL), and 5) its a whole lot safer in cold wet winter conditions........so wheres that snow the Daily Express (xenophobic newspaper) is "always banging on about"

...apparently in Germany - where these wheels & tyres came from, its common practice to put on a set of steel wheels in winter - but then their winters are a whole lot worse than ours....

I have a set of 17 SE alloys with 225/50 R17 CONTINENTAL WINTER CONTACT TS 830 P 98V XL and the grip is far better than 4 season tyres, wear is not a lot worse but I do tend to drive a bit slower. Braking on snow is way better.

No No, must be " 5 spokes" - good idea covering up these wheels though, makes cleaning so much easier, just washed two cars Ibiza with 5 spoke alloys and Polo with winter steelies and "suitable" VW covers, so easy with the covers, just so much of the alloys are accessible so you put in so much effort.

One thing you might notice, well I have with Michelin Alpins and Alpin Pilots, when you brake firmly, you do get a bit of tyre noise, just an observation not a criticism!