Winter tyres

Zobware

Reaction score
Got a text from Audi today offering to supply and fit winter tyres, never had them before so was looking for opinions, pros, cons, can't live without, not worth it?

Brilliant! The improved baking is well worth it, not only the lack of getting stuck in snow.
I would buy a set of 17" used wheels off ebay and fit a new set of Contis.

If we have a winter like last winter then bit of a waste of time. If you live up north then more chance of getting bad driving conditions. I have used winter tyres for the last few years, there is quite a steep hill to get onto the main road and without winter tyres some times I wouldn't have made it up there in my old FWD Passat. The A4 I have now is quattro but I still have a set of winter wheels.
There are many videos on you tube showing the differences between normal and summer tyres.
I get my tyres from Tyreleader. The price of winter tyres increases at this time of the year these have gone up about £2 each in the last few weeks.I bought 2 new tyres for the set of wheels I have as 2 of them were fairly worn. The Nokian tyres get a very good write up.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wra3/225-50-r17-98v-400225

Karl.

On the B8 the 314mm and 320mm brakes will go under 16 inch wheels, the 345mm brakes as used on the S4, S5 will go under 17 inch wheels.
You can get brand new sets of wheels from Tyreleader for less than £270.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels-7.5-17-ET35-5-112/?filter_m=&filter_s=&orderby=prix

I bought some nice Speedline Corsa 17 inch wheels from there at £78 a piece but it seems the prices vary quite a bit on this site with demand I suppose, those same wheels are now £93.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/speedline-corse/sl2-marmora/7.5x17-5x112-et35-76-48472

They are talking about it being a harsh winter. I had winter tyres on my TT for the last few years and it was superb. Even the worst roads were easily passable. I have the A3 now and don't have a spare set of wheels to put winters on, so not sure whether to sort something out or just work from home if it's really bad.

Why do you go for smaller alloys vs just changing the tyres and storing them?

The reason I went for smaller wheels is because 16" tyres are cheaper than 18" and the added profile gives you some more protection if you were to slide into a kerb.
Plus I want to keep my 18" wheels looking nice

In the long run I think so. I got a set off a scrap car. If it stops my new alloys from getting damaged then yes.

They are narrower so will cut into the snow

Centre bore on those wheels will be 57.1mm where as the B8 is 66.5mm so as you say they won't fit a B8 unless you got the CB machined to a larger size.

Well both our cars have had their winter wheels put back on by me this past week. There is always more rain at this time of year and these winter tyres cope with that better than true summer tyres. Also less salt damage to summer wheels.

Not cold enough down south, mine are still the shed, they are to be used below 7C

Weathers too nice at the moment, probably be more like December before I fit the winters. That is unless we start to get some significant frosts which doesn't look to be the case looking at the long range weather forecast.

Ive just put Michelin Pilot alpine on my car.......still on the 19 inch wheel but shouldnt matter as the winter tyres make a massive difference!

I have the Alpin's, on 18's though, they a great tyre, real quiet on motorway 18's comfy up the ride a bit to. I'm kinda looking fwd to putting then on again.

Reactions: barkliejm
I have my 18" BBS SR with Nokian Winters on now. I do like the ride, over the BE 19" s. I'm on a lot of country roads, with lots of standing water and fallen leaves. Grip wise they are so much better in these conditions, and it only gets worse (even with quattro)

They have been on a month, due to having a blow out on one of the summers while joining the M42 at about 85mph, then needing to do a couple of long journeys before I could source a new 19 tyre via the discount guys, any distance on the get you home spare is a pain.

I understood that the cross over was about 10C, it was unusually warm over the past weeks, but finally we've had frost this week.

I suppose the bottom line is, while it might be above/around +10C right now, typically when you are commuting it will be lower and the weather could change quickly. Also I'd reckon that if you drive moderately, you will not suffer excessive tyre wear due to higher temperatures. Remember to check what is written on the side walls as these winter tyres stop being effective as winter tyres at 4mm tread depth - and that info should be displayed on the side walls. Though I'd reckon that the remaining 2mm of tread come be used during warmer weather.

I've just put my winter wheels on , dropped down to 18's fitted with Nokian spiked tyres. True winter tyre and highly recommended..obviously without the spikes in th UK. I love a Scandinavian winter :D
IMG 1027

Reactions: RS5 JON and mancdan