Winter Tyres

Adam14

Reaction score
Hi all,

Due to work and college restraints, myself and a mate have planned to travel Scotland (NC500-esque) from mid-December to early January. Now living down south we get very little snow, so never seen the need to purchase winter tyres.

However considering the time of year we are planning, and the roads it seems wise to purchase some winter tyres for the trip.

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for winter tyres for the S5/A5, it would be much appreciated.

There was a interesting thread on winter tyres on the A3/S3 forums a month or two back, like you I always assumed winter tyres - snow. However, after reading some of the comments I've changed my mind, if I were keeping my car longer than 18 months (what's left) I'd seriously consider them for the months Oct-April. It's not all about snow, anything under 9c has a big impact when using winter tyres, grip, handling and stopping distance. Again some people were saying "Yeah but you're buying two sets of tyres rather than one", again I thought the same...but then you think hang on, I'm only using each set for 6 months of the year, so it works out your winter and summer set combined is just the same as buying two sets of summer/all season sets, as you're using them twice as much, so they will need to be replaced anyway!!!

Get a drink and settle down :) https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/winter-tires-time-to-take-responsibility.384379/

Another way to look at it: You also get a new look (if you also buy a different set of alloys) for 6 months of the year ;)

It's not all about snow, anything under 9c has a big impact when using winter tyres
As always thanks mate, will be sure to peruse the post this evening. Done some looking myself and found continentals have good reviews but are around £200 per tyre for my tyre size (255/35/R19) which is fine, as it is worth it. Also read it is worth getting another set of alloys, as all the salt damages diamond cut alloys, and sure there'll be plenty of that in Scotland.

Reactions: S32B
Also read it is worth getting another set of alloys, as all the salt damages diamond cut alloys, and sure there'll be plenty of that in Scotland.
I would yeah, it seems a big outlay but remember when you sell the car you can also sell the alloys with the winter tyres on. So you're not going to lose a great deal on the price you paid for the alloys! Without winter tyres you'd probably go through 2 sets of normal tyres anyway!

Plenty of places do alloy & tyre sets such as https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/?ad...fJoVUdrYiLclHlW12mIdpW_TeP33joGQaAnb5EALw_wcB