Wiper position after windscreen change!

Buxton2901

Reaction score
Hi guys. I had a new windscreen fitted a couple of months ago and since then my right hand wiper has been hitting the a pillar and looks like it sits too high when in the down position.
I thought it would a simple case of removing they 13mm nut and moving them on the splines. But the nuts are corroded on which makes me think the guys that changed the screen didn't take the wiper arms off at all.
Would there be another reason why they are now hitting the a pillar?
Cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I would say the position shouldn't have changed at all so there's a good chance it's been forced or bent possibly trying to remove it

Reactions: ruairi83
I had a new screen the other week & he didn't remove mine.

Slipping the windscreen in behind the wipers (or not removing the wiper cowl) is known as bombing/diving/scuttling/stuffing/slip 'n slide... Basically a botch; a lash up. Some even get good at it, but it will always be a bodge.

Reactions: Chop. and ruairi83
Autoglass & it looks ok to me

...because it's a new windscreen and it's not damaged like the one it replaced.

Diving a screen in behind the wipers carries the risk of knocking over the adhesive as the glass is slid in. The windscreen should be laid on an even bed of adhesive and lowered down onto it. An installer cannot see, nor has any control over, the way the glass surface makes contact with the adhesive. Talking the wipers off ensures correct placement. It's only a couple of minutes on the job...

Had my screen changed today and seem to be left with a similar problem. My wipers don't go back into the same start position as before. I can now see them when driving where as previously they would duck down out of sight. Did you resolve your problem??

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Buxton2901
Had my screen changed today and seem to be left with a similar problem. My wipers don't go back into the same start position as before. I can now see them when driving where as previously they would duck down out of sight. Did you resolve your problem??

No unfortunately not.
I did try to undo the bolts that hold the wiper arms in place but they are seized solid. Thought about bending them but didn't want to damage the motors.
Let me know if you find a solution please!

I would think that all your wiper arms need is loosening off a bit and the arms rotated to where they used to be and tightened back up, this probably proves that the job was done correctly and it is just the arms that were not tightened in the correct position.

No unfortunately not.
I did try to undo the bolts that hold the wiper arms in place but they are seized solid. Thought about bending them but didn't want to damage the motors.
Let me know if you find a solution please!

Put wipers into service position on DIS. Using lightweight hammer, lightly tap the exposed bolt head to break any corrosion. Spray the nut with Duck Oil Penetrating Release or similar. WD40 doesn't really cut the mustard here. The secret is to leave it soaked for a day or so. The nut will come off, but getting the wiper arm off can be a pain. There are Draper or Laser wiper arm tools, inexpensive and worthwhile investment. Lightly grease the wiper spline shaft before adding wiper arms back on and tightening nut.

I had the same issue after having my A5 windscreen replaced, you can get a proper wiper arm removal tool to get it off and reposition it.

Amazon product

I had the same issue after having my A5 windscreen replaced, you can get a proper wiper arm removal tool to get it off and reposition it.

My only problem with that exact tool is - where have I put it? Last time I took front wiper arms off, I needed to use my previous, bought maybe 25 years ago, small two arm puller, so maybe I need to have another look for that proper one now!

Edit:- the "good" thing about my wife's Polo, which she bought new in August 2015 was, its front wipers were not fitted exactly where I want them to be, so for that car, I got in early and greased up the wiper arm socket/wiper drive spline before it had got nasty!

Reactions: Inked
Gonna have a look at the weekend and see if I can remove the offending wiper. Hopefully a couple of days of wd40 should ease it off if its not seized.

Gonna have a look at the weekend and see if I can remove the offending wiper. Hopefully a couple of days of wd40 should ease it off if its not seized.

Remember to take note of spartacus 68's comment wrt WD40 - there is stuff out there that works, WD40 is okay for some applications and to make a good smell, but as a creeping releasing fluid it is not any good, and maybe not intended to be used for that anyway.

With the keys out and ignition off I pushed the wipers down about half an inch past where they should normally rest. Started the car and ran the wipers as normal. Hey presto. They returned back to the correct rest position. I guess the windscreen fitter must have forced them instead of using the service position in the mmi.

Reactions: Buxton2901
Wonder if its because the audi wipers go into a further 'park' position if they are turned off or not used for so long? If you watch carefully, say spray window with washers, the wipers will wipe, come to rest, then drop another inch or so after a few seconds.

Maybe some fitters dont realise it and put them at the 'ready' position instead of the 'park'

A very good point, I seem to have forgotten about that, probably as my S4 only gets out in dry weather - it is easier to wash my wife's Polo!