Wipers only work on full

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So today I found out that the wipers on the car only work when on full speed, so I replaced the wiper stalk as first option, as it looks like the last owner sprayed WD40 in the old one to try and fixed the problem. Any way that did not work, so I'm now left with either the relay wich is being swaped tomorrow for a know working one, or the motor. Anyone else had this problem before I go to the trouble of ripping the motor out.

does the motor park correctly?

Ie if you turn it off half way thru a sweep, does it park, or stop dead.

If it stops dead, its probably the motor, if it parks its most likely the relay. HOWEVER the relay is easy and cheap, so change it first anyway.

If your changing the relay on an early car, get a "99" or "197" relay from a VW/Skoda, as it gives you adjustable intermittant wipe

Last edited:
Cheers, I think it's most likely the motor as it's not parking. ******, wonder here I can get a motor on a sunday!

Mine dont park either, i think it's female.....

Need to get around to changing it really, too busy on go faster bits than actual required aspects...:asskicking:

It's going for a MOT on Tuesday, so need them fixed ASAP. I'm going to strip the motor out tomorrow and clean it up. I live in hope.

there is no requirement for the wipers to have different speeds, as long as they work then you should be fine.

Yep this is all I can find on ukmot

WINDSCREEN

The inspection has to ascertain all items affecting the driver's view of the road: the condition of the windscreen, the wipers and washers.

The only thing I can think off is as the wipers don't park then they become an obstruction.​

well worth stripping it down, on my first a4 i had the same problem the grease had moved and covered contacts/track, a quick wipe and it worked perfectly