Wireless Android Auto

Grolli

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's possible to get wireless Android Auto in the S3 8Y? I know Apple Carplay works wirelessly, but not Android Auto - that has to be cabled. Wondering if anyone knows if it's a setting that can be enabled using obdeleven or similar?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Soapy and DreamInCode
Dont think it can be done via wireless, currently. I too have the same issue and I took the option of the audi phone box. so if i use android auto and need to use the cable then the wireless charging is of no use to me. I have spoken to the dealer and they think it might be in a future firmware update. But for the time being it need to be using a usb c cable.

Reactions: Mryolon and DreamInCode
Yeah it's really annoying. I specifically asked the dealer about this before I bought the car and I was told it was wireless. When it turned out it wasn't I queried it with them and was told "I'm certain I've had an iPhone connected wirelessly so I assumed it would be the same for Android" - it would be super useful if people actually knew the products they were selling. I mean, I would have still bought the car anyway, but it would have saved me hours trying to get it to work.

Reactions: Mryolon
Wireless Android Auto is available, as in the capability is there from the phone side but not in Audi yet, unless it comes with a future firmware upgrade.

Have a look at AA wireless on google, that seems to be the only device that will solve it.

Even if Audi make it available one day it will most likely be just for new cars the same way they introduced Apple carplay wireless

Reactions: Mryolon
Recently, Carlinkitcarplay has released an amazing adapter. It is said that supports Wireless Carplay and Wireless Android Auto. I think it will solve your problem.

AA Wireless adapter is currently an Indiegogo project.
AA Wireless Indiegogo

Looks like Motortola have announced an adapter which should be available from 30th Jan. Looks like it's not USB-C, but there may be a USB-C version when launched.
Motorola MA1 Adapter

I'm hoping the Audi MY22 wireless Android Auto will be made available to prior MY's via a software update, but I suspect it won't be and will require MY22 hardware. So, it will probably mean I'll need an adapter which are now starting to become available in the market if the above 2 examples are indicative of others that may follow.

I'm currently reviewing this one:

But have also been sent a few others to film. Seems like there is a lot of demand for these devices.

My A3 has wireless Android Auto. When it works, its great but 75% it refuses to connect or drops out.

My S3 8Y (2021) went in for MMI software update last week and came back with wireless AA working.

Had an initial problem with faulty SOS & MMI rebooting randomly. Audi said there was a software update for this issue, all done and came back with the bonus of Wireless android. If you call your local Audi service they may not even know this is available, but I got it and it works.

Reactions: AdamInKent
I think it can also depend on your Android phone. Mine works with my wife's Samsung A4 but not with my Huawei P30!

Can you please tell me the latest software version. I am going to contact Audi to get it booked in as it is now unbearable to drive as it reboots all the time. In a 2 mile journey to work it will do it twice every time. This is on top of the odd issue where the MMI stays blank. Funny how it never did this for the first year of ownership!

Can you please tell me the latest software version. I am going to contact Audi to get it booked in as it is now unbearable to drive as it reboots all the time. In a 2 mile journey to work it will do it twice every time. This is on top of the odd issue where the MMI stays blank. Funny how it never did this for the first year of ownership!
Good luck with this, I tried getting Audi to update my software and they said they were unable to... Despite there being newer versions than mine. Audi will tell you when your car is suitable for the new software version apparently.

3691 is the newest I believe, I had 3620 and they refused to update it

I’m running 3458 and has never really been an issue until about the last 6 months. Now it is a pita!

Just updated my android auto app and now have a split screen
2f453a6e5d6c99c0410e952a6071ca0f.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το moto g82 5G μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Just updated my android auto app and now have a split screen
2f453a6e5d6c99c0410e952a6071ca0f.jpg

φιλε να σε ρωτησω κατι? πως εβαλες data στην esim?

It was thinking that but the signal strength on the MMI and VC seem ok although I’ll take that with a pinch of salt. I will have to book it in and see if the latest software may help.

It was thinking that but the signal strength on the MMI and VC seem ok although I’ll take that with a pinch of salt. I will have to book it in and see if the latest software may help.
If the problem is related to location rather than driving time, then it would indicate an external factor and, knowing what we do about earlier software being susceptible to mobile signal problems, it would seem a likely cause.

You can check if your car is due any service updates here (you’ll need a web browser that does translation unless you understand German): https://www.audi.de/de/brand/de/neuwagen/feldmassnahmen.html

Upgrading to s/w version 3620 fixed it for me.

φιλε να σε ρωτησω κατι? πως εβαλες data στην esim?
Data εχω απο το κινητο. Δεν κανω κατι αλλο.

I think the rest would expect us to continue this conversation in English

Reactions: Vic20 and AdamInKent
Data εχω απο το κινητο. Δεν κανω κατι αλλο.

I think the rest would expect us to continue this conversation in English

i mean there is embeded esim in the mib3 unit . how you enable it ? or how i can change data carrier if i want?

i mean there is embeded esim in the mib3 unit . how you enable it ? or how i can change data carrier if i want?
I didn't even know that existed.
My phone is connected via wlan with the mib and I just use the data from the phone

It's tied to Audi's preferred provider - Cubic Telecom in my case - not sure if that's just UK or global. You "enable" it for general data by buying one of their "plans" - not exactly good value, £6 a month for a SIM is not terrible but 25GB of data a year is.

I'm not sure if it's a physical SIM or an eSIM - it probably doesn't matter much if you can't change it.

Hmmm, does anyone have any hints as to how to get Android Auto working over Wi-Fi when it is being stubborn.

USB is fine

Using Wi-Fi - I'm connected to the car's hotspot, haven't registered for a data plan (or the "free" introductory offer) but AFAIK that isn't needed.

The MyAudi app thinks it's connected and logged into the MMI but Android Auto does not show up.

If I go into AA settings on the phone it says "Android Auto over wireless available" or words to that effect (it says "connected" when using USB).

Phone is a Motorola G8 plus - AA updated to latest version via play store.

Have tried clearing caches, connecting to both the regular and "5GHz" hotspot, reconnecting etc but no luck.

Hmmm, does anyone have any hints as to how to get Android Auto working over Wi-Fi when it is being stubborn.

USB is fine

Using Wi-Fi - I'm connected to the car's hotspot, haven't registered for a data plan (or the "free" introductory offer) but AFAIK that isn't needed.

The MyAudi app thinks it's connected and logged into the MMI but Android Auto does not show up.

If I go into AA settings on the phone it says "Android Auto over wireless available" or words to that effect (it says "connected" when using USB).

Phone is a Motorola G8 plus - AA updated to latest version via play store.

Have tried clearing caches, connecting to both the regular and "5GHz" hotspot, reconnecting etc but no luck.
I also have a motorola g82 which would not start android auto unless I searched manually.
I allowed the audi app to always run in the background and it's faster than ever now.

When you say "search manually" do you mean from "connected devices".

It shows up there (having connected previously via USB) but if I tap the icon nothing happens - well, most of the time after a pause it says "Bluetooth connection can't be established". Which is odd, as the phone is definitely connected via Bluetooth.

The phone itself doesn't give me an option to connect manually, just says "available".

I have finally got Wirelss AA fully working on my Huawei P30

• In AA settings ( available from the phone's settings / Apps /Apps/Android Auto) Hit the cog top right
  • Scroll down to the version information and tap there 10 times (this will enable developer mode for Android Auto)
  • In the menu top right (three dots) Tap on 'Developer Settings and make sure 'Wireless Android Auto, is ticked *
  • * Now, In my phone's settings, I had to find a setting for 'wireless projection' and enable it. Some say this setting appears within the AA developer settings on some phones but it didnt on mine.
Video Here

As soon as I had completed all the steps above, wireless AA worked in my car. However, my phone said it was connected to the 5G Access point of the vehicle and sign in was required (to Cubic Telecom ). This effectively fooled the phone into thinking that internet was available on that connection (as there is the sign in/up page) so loss of internet to the phone is experienced as it won't switch to the 4G connection even with WiFi+ enabled. This can be worked around by setting various apps to use Mobile data only but it wouldn't be very seamless if you had to change that every time you got in/out of the car! Probably a shortfall of my phone's Android 10 build.

A solution is HERE by creating a fake proxy for this WiFi connection. A proxy is a server in between a device and a website so, if you put in one that doesn't exist the phone will see there is no internet connection and be forced to use the mobile data. (This doesn't affect the operation of AA as it makes its own connection. Once done, ignore the message that comes up that the connection 'has no internet' as that is what is intended in this case!

I set my 'fake proxy up like this and now have wireless AA working fully.

Screenshot 20230515 155410 comandroidsettings

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

What followed after reading Vic20's post was ... odd

Everything checked out re: enabling developer mode, Wireless Android Auto was already ticked (as you might guess since it said it was "available") but nothing about "projection".

Nothing in the phone's settings either, I did find the screen cast options and enabled "Guest mode" but screen casting on my phone is ChromeCast and I don't thnk that's anything to do with AA

Anyway, to double check I thought I'd go back to the car and hit the screen cast widget to see if it made a difference, not expecting it to.

Before I could, the phone connected to WiFi and AA suddenly started working. Really the only relevant thing that I did was enable developer mode.

One thing I noticed which was different though was the behaviour of the phone re mobile data - I didn't have the problem that not signing in to the car's WiFi network stopped apps using mobile data completely - but they did get very slow to connect, and lots of sites timed out which isn't ideal. On my MMI in WiFi settings I can turn off the internet data option (I suspect it just makes the car's DHCP not offer a default route) and that seems to fix things. It nags a bit to turn it back on though which is annoying. I also don't seem to have (or can't find) the option to force some apps to use mobile data even if WiFi is connected.

So, for the moment it is working, but I'm not actually sure what changed.

When you say "search manually" do you mean from "connected devices".

It shows up there (having connected previously via USB) but if I tap the icon nothing happens - well, most of the time after a pause it says "Bluetooth connection can't be established". Which is odd, as the phone is definitely connected via Bluetooth.

The phone itself doesn't give me an option to connect manually, just says "available".
You are right. By manually I meant from the bluetooth options, because most of the times it did not connect to AA, it was not connected to bluetooth either, so no call list etc available.

Glad it worked though