Wireless CarPlay - Adapter vs OBDeleven coding

Barcs79

Reaction score
Evening all,
My brand new A5 is currently back at the dealer to fix a faulty boot mechanism motor. To soften the blow the dealer has loaned me a very nice Q8 complete with wireless CarPlay which I’ve now decided I can’t live without when I get my A5 back.
I’ve seen adapters like Carplay2air and also read suggestions it’s possible to recode the MMI with OBDeleven or similar to turn on wireless CarPlay (seems to be the 5ghz WiFi signal is the main thing you need).
What would people recommend is the best option to try?
An adapter feels safer but they only work with standard usb so means having it on show by the cup holders not in the arm rest. Also seen reviews they aren’t that reliable.
That said has anyone actually got it to work using OBD?

I just plug mine in, at least it's charging the phone at the same time! I wouldn't mess with the mmi as if anything went wrong they would just blame what you have done.

I had the CarPlay2Air in my S5. It was ok but I decided to try Carlinkit2.0 and I like it a lot more. It comes with instructions which have QR code’s for setup and software updating. It’s also a whole lot more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the CarPlay2Air in my S5. It was ok but I decided to try Carlinkit2.0 and I like it a lot more. It comes with instructions which have QR code’s for setup and software updating. It’s also a whole lot more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, the Carlinkit may be the way to go as I can see it also uses a removable cable so hoping I can swap for a usb-c to usb-c and connect it in the arm rest

Have it working in 2020 A4 via obdeleven. I posted the steps I took. Works great.
(I use the usb c in the centre console to power a wireless charger hidden under the rubber mat )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have it working in 2020 A4 via obdeleven. I posted the steps I took. Works great.
(I use the usb c in the centre console to power a wireless charger hidden under the rubber mat )

Thanks. Is that the face lift with latest gen MMI? ( I.e. touchscreen and no dial)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Must admit given its the same cost as just an adapter the ODBeleven route is appealing for all the other functions too. Just nervous I mess some settings up and Audi tell me to go whistle.
Not surprised you managed to get it to work as my manual even says it’s under development but you can guarantee Audi won’t release as a software update