WMI - Differences with it being mapped in or not

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Right Folks.....

My Audi S3 is currently running stage 2 mods with custom Badger5 map.

Since mapping in April I've added a few things including AEM V2 WMI Kit.

The WMI is pretty much fitted apart from nozzle and a few wires.

What I want to know are the differences and gains between it being mapped in or not?

Obviously there is going to be slightly more gains in it being mapped in due to AIT and timing.
I know you can run it without being mapped in and gives you the option to remove without affecting the map.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I remember reading somewhere that adding about 4deg of ignition timing is approx. 10hp gain which you should be able to feel after mapping but then your car is reliant on wmi

I'm also interested to know what the gains are without mapping?

I'm not getting mine mapped but knowing what all the other benefits are is good enough for me

Its not so much that you'll get gains but you minimise losses associated with high AIT's and EGT's after running the car hard!

Also you have an extra level of protection with regards to detonation along with the bump in octane provided by the methanol.

we have logged 2 deg giving 20bhp gain!
Should of been a little clearer from the start....

Would it be beneficial for me to get the WMI mapped in, considering the following:
Badger5 map running 302bhp/287Ibft
Healthy Standard K04
Standard Rods
Healthy, flowing APY engine

I'm planning to change Rods in the new year along with a decision on which direction of turbo to upgrade to.

Would it be best to leave WMI not mapped in or have it mapped in if the gains outweigh the costs of mapping?

Your S3 is a mutant. Fact. Very few make that level of power wthout a Hybrid.

The water meth will allow you to make that power back top back runs, for longer periods of time as your EGT and IAT will remain colder.
The combustion chamber wont get as hot as quick, and allow the advanced timing of the map to be used more of the time for longer periods before it will start pulling the timing back out.

If I was you, I would use it to be able to maintain the power, and have it mapped in when you upgrade your rods and turbo.
Just my 2p

Reactions: mark_S3
Should of been a little clearer from the start....

Would it be beneficial for me to get the WMI mapped in, considering the following:
Badger5 map running 302bhp/287Ibft
Healthy Standard K04
Standard Rods
Healthy, flowing APY engine

I'm planning to change Rods in the new year along with a decision on which direction of turbo to upgrade to.

Would it be best to leave WMI not mapped in or have it mapped in if the gains outweigh the costs of mapping?

I would be wary for your rods personally...
Where/IF there's existing timing pull currently, adding wmi will eliminate it and reduction in timing pull is equivalent of adding timing.. so more torque.. Std Rods.. Just saying... std Rods

Reactions: schwartza3 and mark_S3
I would be wary for your rods personally...
Where/IF there's existing timing pull currently, adding wmi will eliminate it and reduction in timing pull is equivalent of adding timing.. so more torque.. Std Rods.. Just saying... std Rods
Just the answer I was after.....

Ideally I would like for it to be mapped (obviously for the added power..Lol), but your response has made it clear to leave it unmapped until rod's are fitted....

Cheers Bill....

Reactions: badger5
sorry if i'm wrong but I sort of read/understood what Bill said a little different...
Addition of wmi will reduce your existing timing pull (even without mapping) and this would put you std rods at risk anyway?

sorry if i'm wrong but I sort of read/understood what Bill said a little different...
Addition of wmi will reduce your existing timing pull (even without mapping) and this would put you std rods at risk anyway?
yes

as for rods risk, depends what power level your engine is at.
There are no certainties .

Increased timing does increase torque

Remember when welly added his large fmic on his stage 1 map, and promptly bent a rod on road test. Cooler air, denser... more torque... and some bad luck.

Reactions: limbo118118 and scotty_24
i broke my engine, fit rods

bill 20hp with 2º, at what rpm?