WMI is killing my Throttle body

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
As above my throttle body is slowly dying, everytime i drive my car i have to reset the TB...before it will move, any remedies? i bought it brand new from Audi 4 years ago too...:blush:
Mechanical malfunction code keeps coming up (17976)

What! You've only been running WMI for a couple of weeks! I was worried about mine eating the TB but its been ok for 6 months now. You 100% sure it's the WMI Dave, have you opened it up?

I'm on my second one and you could clearly see on the previous one where water had dried on the contacts?

Had considered trying to rebuild my old one with a new o-ring in there?

Started fine this morning without the WMI on a day or 2, may try the smaller nozzle, what are you running westy?

What about rotating the TB so the electrics are on top? maybe a good shout on the o ring as well Stacey...

I know people were against a sandwich plate as they said there wasn't enough time for the mixture to atomise but it must be cheaper and less hassle then goin through TBs!?

If its fine enough it will get absorbed either way... I think some of the issues here are nozzle related and its position... the trick being finding the balance where all the meth gets fully absorbed...

I think I will be running a fine nozzle on mine (I have a mix of DO and AEM stuff to use) but the position that Dave is currently using is similar to what I have planned...

<tuffty/>

Why not use a throttle spacer. Must be better than being stuck at the side of the road with a wet throttle body. Seems to work for quite a few people too.

Setup of the controller and right nozzle choice is just as important as placement... have seen performance drop right off if not setup right... too large a nozzle or progressive controllers not set right etc... each setup is a little different and realistically needs to be setup on the dyno to be most effective

<tuffty/>

I didn't know WMI was bad for your throttle body? Is it because the water/meth mixture dries in the throttle body causing it to get stuck?

Meth is corrosive... in a suitable mix its less so but is also very searching so boost can force it past the butterfly bearings and into the electronics... fluid + electronics is bad as we know...

This is based on the meth mix not being fully absorbed in the airstream... if fully absorbed then there should be no issue.. the trick is getting it fully absorbed...

<tuffty/>

Meth is corrosive... in a suitable mix its less so but is also very searching so boost can force it past the butterfly bearings and into the electronics... fluid + electronics is bad as we know...

This is based on the meth mix not being fully absorbed in the airstream... if fully absorbed then there should be no issue.. the trick is getting it fully absorbed...

<tuffty/>

Awesome thanks Tuffty, makes much more sense now!

mine's always clean, and it always works.

I know I'm not being very helpful in this thread.

Sorry.

I'll get my coat....