Worst experience ever.

Just been reading through this.. Quickly skim read it when it was first posted but didnt have time to write my condolences.

Glad that the next time I read through it that all seems to be well though! Even if I had insurance and my 40k car got stolen I would probably break down :( Insurance would probably try to wangle out of it somehow I would imagine.

At least its one less thing to worry about for christmas :)

So glad you got it back relatively unscathed after all of this.

You've had a truly awful experience here,and I hope that the New Year treats you better.

Happy Xmas

Sorry to hear the bad news but very glad you got it back with no major damage. Was just thinking, since you got the car back so quick, did the police take fingerprints etc?
And make sure you try and get the mobile phones tracked with the IMEI's, at least that could help lead to the scum

good news at last, v pleased for you. It must be an awful thing to go through.

Never give up hope though... A mate of mine had his house burgled, keys taken and A3 nicked 18 months ago in Leeds. Turned up in Manchester in September. Police rang him saying "weve got your car and your stuffs in the boot still, you can come and collect it".

Insurance had already paid out and he got a new one, so it was irrelevant.

Makes you wonder who steals a car and drives round with the same stuff in the boot for over a year???

just read back on this thread again, i wasnt expecting to this great news, absolutley made up for you and your family! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :respekt::photo::arco:

Forgive me for sounding thick, what is a cat list?

Insurance Claim Categories

Category A

May not be resold. Must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water).
Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell.
DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".

Category B

May not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural damage.
Parts can be removed and sold.

Category C

Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant (structural) damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value.
Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection before returning to the road.
Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA.
You re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has done.
VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).

VIC inspection

Straight from VOSA's web site "[The VIC] will involve comparing the vehicle presented against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number.
The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the vehicle."
Officially, the VIC does not check roadworthiness. If any significant defects are present, they can prevent it being used, but it is not a check of vehicle condition or roadworthiness. VIC tets centres in major towns, list on VOSA's site. It costs £35 (early 2005).

Category D

Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so.
Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair.
Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

Category X

Insurance-speak for 'Not Recorded', but subject to some claim and sold on by them as repairable salvage.
Not recorded on registers at HPI, AA, .. or known at DVLA.
Very light damage, or vehicle is fairly new. Requires minimal repair work.

"Not Recorded"

Not an official category, this is what you may see in a private advert.
Usually means the owner only had third party insurance and they stuffed it themselves, so can't claim for it.
Naturally, they aren't telling their insurance company - and they haven't told DVLA. Might be a total wreck, might be fixable.
But - since DVLA don't know about it - there is no requirement for any inspection. Buying something like this, you are on your own, and you'd better know what you are doing mechanically.

Insurance Claim Categories

Category A

May not be resold. Must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water).
Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell.

Category B

May not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural damage.
Parts can be removed and sold.

Category C

Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant (structural) damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value.
Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection before returning to the road.
Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA.
You re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has done.
VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).

VIC inspection

Straight from VOSA's web site "[The VIC] will involve comparing the vehicle presented against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number.
The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the vehicle."
Officially, the VIC does not check roadworthiness. If any significant defects are present, they can prevent it being used, but it is not a check of vehicle condition or roadworthiness. VIC tets centres in major towns, list on VOSA's site. It costs £35 (early 2005).

Category D

Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so.
Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair.
Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

Category X

Insurance-speak for 'Not Recorded', but subject to some claim and sold on by them as repairable salvage.
Not recorded on registers at HPI, AA, .. or known at DVLA.
Very light damage, or vehicle is fairly new. Requires minimal repair work.

"Not Recorded"

Not an official category, this is what you may see in a private advert.
Usually means the owner only had third party insurance and they stuffed it themselves, so can't claim for it.
Naturally, they aren't telling their insurance company - and they haven't told DVLA. Might be a total wreck, might be fixable.
But - since DVLA don't know about it - there is no requirement for any inspection. Buying something like this, you are on your own, and you'd better know what you are doing mechanically.

got it Thanks.:salute:

All police, insurance companies etc use a database called MIAFTR (Motor Insurers Anti Fraud Theft Register)...

I'm not sure whether it is just insurers that enter records on it or if police can too but they do use to find out who the responsible insurer is if a vehicle is subsequently recovered.

Also it is very likely that your car details would of been entered on to the PNC and i'm uncertain whether this appears on a HPI report. So it is probably worth doing a full HPI report on your car after 2 weeks have passed (database update every 2 weeks)

If both of these databases are absent of your car details then there is no way anyone else can find out from standard vehicle searches.

HTH :)

Really happy to hear that everything turned out ok for you mate, always gives you a little more faith that the police are doing a good job :D This will have brightened up your xmas, after this happening to you it has made me think that i should really get a tracker installed. Have a merry xmas and a happy new year buddy :)

Davie

Well you finally got a break :)

I`m very happy for you mate, i wanted to reply and sympathize but it seems you don`t need it anymore!

Now go home, and start building a fortress for your little car just to be sure.

All in all, your family is ok and your car is back. That`s what i call a good end of a year!

I must say that after owning my car for around 1 1/2 year now, and reading through this forum for quite some time, i am still surprised with these incidents. I never thought Britain would have such a high crime rate (regarding cars for all i know) That`s pretty sad

amen to that :salute:
+1

Trackers are essentially `insurance` for the insurance Companies. They get all the benefit yet we as the policy holders have to pay for it:ohmy:
How does that work??:think:

If my car is stolen and abused/damaged/partly dismantled, then I certainly dont want it back.:noway:

Still, great news for the OP:icon_thumright:

Cheers
Paul

+1

Trackers are essentially `insurance` for the insurance Companies. They get all the benefit yet we as the policy holders have to pay for it:ohmy:
How does that work??:think:

If my car is stolen and abused/damaged/partly dismantled, then I certainly dont want it back.:noway:

Still, great news for the OP:icon_thumright:

Cheers
Paul

If soemone stole my show ready pefection of a Skyline, id sure as hell would want it back.

wow that's great new's mate really is ....im also gonna vote for the next party that say's there gonna nuke liverpool the scouse sh*t's , i effin hate scousers the chav ones anyhow that just rob for a living lol ......happy crimbo fella

Last edited:
...im also gonna vote for the next party that say's there gonna nuke liverpool the scouse sh*t's , i effin hate scousers the chav ones anyhow that just rob for a living lol...

Have you new developed a new kind of selective nuclear warhead between the first post and the newly updated post? Or is it just that the rest of the (non-chav) liverpudlians are an acceptable level of collateral damage?

F#CK!! Sorry to hear about this mate, terrible thing to happen to anyone. Remember that this is a massive community and were all here to help bud.

Have you new developed a new kind of selective nuclear warhead between the first post and the newly updated post? Or is it just that the rest of the (non-chav) liverpudlians are an acceptable level of collateral damage?

yes correct ..:w00t:

I joined this forum having read your story. It must have been heartbreaking to see your property being driven away. This ofcourse is everybodys worst nightmare. The crimes people in third world countries used to run away from is now happening here. No law protects innocent civilians. In America ofcourse you can own a gun and its not even only in USA..In other countries you can have a permit to own one to protect your family from armed robbers. But the UK will never allow such thing.

Ofcourse your not allowed to touch invaders of your property by law. It just doesnt make sense..Believe it or not we had a big debate about this back in the day when i was in School and College..Can you imagine kids discussing this in schools..This is how big this issue of breaking and entry is.

Im glad you got your car back mate. My older brothers car was stolen from Hendon in London. Then a few years later my mums Mercedes she paid 5 grand for was stolen by a tow truck. Both cars were never found again. Most likely broken up for parts or exported to foreign countries. I saw a tow truck come back into the compound months later. By the time i raced down 3 flights of stairs almost dropping on my face he was off and all the way up the road.

Im glad this didnt happen with yours. I wouldnt call it pure luck mate...You only get lucky once or twice in life. Something as big as this has happened to others with worse results.

£37,000 pounds is big money and its three times bigger without a tracker and insurance. Hope you got the tracker and put the insurance on. I didnt tell you where i'm from Armed robbery is common. So electric barbwire fences, CCTV, security guards and shotguns dont go amiss. All this on residential homes! I grew up in Africa of course. Amazing to think this is going on in England and not much apart from reinforced front doors and alarms can be done to fix the problem.

In London I see big expensive cars all the time..I always assumed they had all these things covered...but everyone is vulnerable to be honest..unless you live in **** with your own armed security...

Happy you got the car back...crazy stuff

wow what a story, glad you have your baby back, and i have just decided to pay my insurance premium right NOW!

but i do believe it is time for investment. investment in a new dog. one with bigger teeth, and a louder bark. and possibly booby traps.