Would you remap if.........................

Would you have your car (not just S3) remapped if

• I would have it mapped anyway

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • I would have it mapped if it didnt show a TD1 flag

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • I wouldnt have it mapped at all

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I wouldnt modify it in anyway if I had the chance of losing my warranty

Votes: 17 27.4%

• Total voters

steeve

Reaction score
Just wondering if the flag is stopping you getting your car mapped

I would have it mapped if it didnt show a TD1 flag

yawn.png

Seriously, 300bhp not enough on the Uk roads? :think:

Option 3 for me - I wouldnt have it mapped at all :thumbs up:

Reactions: Louay, mcnallys and DommyR
i prefer to get the most available out of the car. meaning if you not planning going crazy with mods. why not get that extra power whats hidden unlocked for the sake of a small sum for remapping. for starters you dont buy and S3 to not get your toe down at all

Reactions: mfl and Dazzeroo
I can vouch as how a remap can transform a diesel engine, definitely not just about power there...

Maybe if it was out of warranty, but not whilst it's in it...give them no excuses!

Reactions: elpaulio
Im sure a few of you have come across adam_7r on instagram with a modified Golf R, anyway his turbo went bang this morning and as its been remapped I wouldn't like to be him (££££) so I guess a bit more evidence for leaving it stock for now.

Out of interest whats the going rate for a new turbo and fitting etc?

Im sure a few of you have come across adam_7r on instagram with a modified Golf R, anyway his turbo went bang this morning and as its been remapped I wouldn't like to be him (££££) so I guess a bit more evidence for leaving it stock for now.

Out of interest whats the going rate for a new turbo and fitting etc?

Bit of a risk but they supposedly know those. Think I'll stick standard...............

True.. Question is did it go bang purely because it was remapped, or because it was the remap was pushing more strain than necessary on the components (i.e at the limit to what they could take, rather than within tolerances?) and he was pushing it too hard? (Ok - being a tad diplomatic here as its early morning...)

I think those who have a dmf, and I include petrol engines as well, might need to think about premature failure in that component as well.

previous engines were far easier to tune and hassle free in case something goes wrong, all you needed is just put it back to stock and take it back to audi :D. I had few issues but car never was rejected despite they told me that they looking if its mapped or modified etc :). Now its out of warranty and still going strong dont need to hide mods and I'm happy to pay any costs if something do go wrong.

therefore for me atm I wouldnt due to TD1 flag, also the new 2L engine is already known from blown up turbos and untill that is sorted out no point paying £££ for a new engine.

A well know chap with a Golf R (black with Gold highlights) and on air suspension, 800 AR I think the number plate is, and he works for Yiannimize. Well the turbo has gone on his car. I know he had the APR induction kit in there but not sure what else but was pumpimg out around 370 BHP.

A well know chap with a Golf R (black with Gold highlights) and on air suspension, 800 AR I think the number plate is, and he works for Yiannimize. Well the turbo has gone on his car. I know he had the APR induction kit in there but not sure what else but was pumpimg out around 370 BHP.

Yeah same guy. He's got the apr intake and miltek exhaust just not sure on the map he's got. I did read that he was going to flash it back to stock and take it to VW and try a warranty claim (fat chance). However it's also possible he got a guarantee with his map like mtm offer?

As time goes on and engineering and materials improve we see production engines pumping out ever more horse power for their size and able to cope with the increased stresses and strains. I'm sure that at production outputs the engines are relatively reliable, the manufacturer will have tested a bunch and have all the statistics and likely failure rates.

So it's not unexpected that if you stress an already high performance engine without upgrading the components that would need improving to cope there will be an increase in potential failure rates.

I remapped my 1.8 TFSI and it transformed the car this was based on the assumption that the current map was sub optimal as having to work on different quality fuel and emission legislation around the world and also environments. That car was only 160bhp and was 2yr old when I had it. It was a bluefin map so good to be able to put it on and take it off at will ie before a dealer visit. Would I remap a brand new S3 ? That's a different proposition altogether - maybe If VAG approved as someone has already stated like Ford and Mountune other than that prob not until it was a good way into its warranty.

Tried a DTUK tuning box on my current car a 184 Leon and that worked very well but the car was under braked so took it off at the risk of burying myself in a hedge one morning !

I remapped my 1.8 TFSI and it transformed the car this was based on the assumption that the current map was sub optimal as having to work on different quality fuel and emission legislation around the world and also environments. That car was only 160bhp and was 2yr old when I had it. It was a bluefin map so good to be able to put it on and take it off at will ie before a dealer visit. Would I remap a brand new S3 ? That's a different proposition altogether - maybe If VAG approved as someone has already stated like Ford and Mountune other than that prob not until it was a good way into its warranty.

Tried a DTUK tuning box on my current car a 184 Leon and that worked very well but the car was under braked so took it off at the risk of burying myself in a hedge one morning !

Older cars dont record TD1 flag so its way easier to put map back to stock and let dealer sort out any issues. Had my car in few times and they could never find out if my car was mapped or not as I took it back to stock setting before taking car in for any repairs or services.

Reactions: Rob2k68