wrong haldex oil should i keep driving?

seabee05

Reaction score
Hey guys I recently had a second hand diff and controller installed on my A3 however the new unit also wouldn't work, doing a further investigation the garage admitted they only put gear oil in and not haldex oil which has annoyed me, when I turn the car on I hear the pump making churning bubbling noises for about 5 seconds and then it shuts off I've also only got fwd, should I avoid driving the car as I don't know if this oil is going to cause damage to the unit?

Depends on the viscosity etc tbh, they should of used the correct type regardless what they thought was best, they need to do it correctly & see if its ok then, if not then you could tbh challenge them it was a working system when bought & now its not, that's your choice.

Well my problem is that my previous system had failed and they where installing a second hand one, I was recommended to take it to this guy through a friend as he once worked for vw (I can see why he doesn't now) but he's telling me the new unit is a dud however I caught him out when questioning the haldex oil. I can't do much with the car until Monday and I'm going to be doing about 40 miles in it until then do you think its safe or will I be risking damaging the unit even more? Gear oil is 75/90.

I wouldn't drive it with a fault, you could do more damage than current.