Xenon Bulbs Review (Philips vs Osram vs OEM)

Which bulb performs the best?

• OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Philips Xenon X-treme Vision gen2

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • OEM Bulb

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

s114hed

Reaction score
As the winter months come closer and the days get darker, I thought it would be a good idea to see what new xenon bulbs are currently out in the market. When it comes to xenon bulbs, they sure are not cheap but rather than finding the cheapest bulbs on eBay, which will last 3-6 months, why not invest in some good OE quality bulbs. Osram and Philips have been leading the way since the 1900s so I thought I would do a comparison on the two vs the OEM bulbs.

The bulbs I will be reviewing are as follows:

OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited

Philips Xenon X-treme Vision gen2

A quick comparison of the bulb differences:

Upload 2017 8 10 14 26 2

Before ordering, I reached out to Powerbulbs customer’s service team to as a few questions about these bulbs. The advice received was accurate and the customer service advisor kept me updated on the progress of my order. These were purchased using a 20% off discount code (NEWBIES) which should still be active, if not a quick google search to help find a code. Osram and Philips have been tackling counterfeit bulbs so both these have an authenticity sticker to check they are genuine. Not to mention Powerbulbs are the approved distributor for both brands so you are sure to be receiving the genuine products. You also receive a free 12 months warranty with Powerbulbs should any item fail within that period, simply return them back for a replacement, not to mention the free worldwide shipping.

Osram Genuine Check

Philips Genuine Check

They are both very well packaged and arrived very quickly. A quick overview of the packaging:

Upload 2017 8 10 14 27 15

I went about to get them installed and to compare the difference between all three. Below is a few pictures of the OEM bulbs.

Standard OE Bulbs

As you can see from the above picture, the colour temperature is warmer than the Philips and Osram bulbs.

Philips X-Tremevision gen2

Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited

Summary

As you can see, both bulbs are a very good upgrade from the stock bulb, although the Philips just edges ahead in terms of colour temperature and light output. They both throw out a lot further too. Regardless of which one you go for you will see a noticeable difference at night that will help elevate the eye fatigue occurred on long journeys. Just make sure you do get the genuine bulbs, they are miles apart from the counterfeits and cheap Chinese knockoffs, which provide a false economy.

Any question, let me know.

Reactions: CHEZ, AUDI_ADDICT and DieselJake
Thanks for the review, Phillips looks much better in the photo's, bet it makes even more of a difference in real life, really appreciate how you've gone through the trouble of fitting both too :happy:

I've ran Phillips and Osram halogen bulbs but they didn't seem to make much difference, however they were from eBay so could have quite easily been counterfeits.

Thanks for the review, Phillips looks much better in the photo's, bet it makes even more of a difference in real life, really appreciate how you've gone through the trouble of fitting both too :happy:

I've ran Phillips and Osram halogen bulbs but they didn't seem to make much difference, however they were from eBay so could have quite easily been counterfeits.

Yup, big difference at night. Once they burn it I think they will get even brighter.

That's what I meant in my post about the cheap bulbs, they are most likely counterfeit, always order from a approved dealer. Here in the UK it's https://www.powerbulbs.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey bud. Really great writeup.

I personally was at the same dilemma in deciding what to choose.
Phillips were at their first version, that time and really had my mind set up for them. Been recommended however, Osram CBI and went for them.
Also created the thread about it but under the title of fogs. Was changing them for leds and wrote up both beams.

CBI's are much brighter than oems for sure but not so "cool" in temperature as Phillips ones.
Wish I went for Xtreme visions in the first place as they were £120 a pair like CBI's.

Now they burned in so the light output is great but think gen2 Phillips could've give further beam reach and better temp look, imo.

I replaced the standard D2S Osram Xenarcs in my TT as the originals were well past there best. I didn't want to pay £50-£60 a bulb for a top of the range Oram / Phillips bulkb and I know unless you buy these bulbs from a large supplier there is every chance they will be a cheap fake.
Looking around I found these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yeaky-Lig...non-Bulb-Set-5500k-6500k-8000k-/371386667649?
No hiding the fact these are Chinese bulbs but Yeaky are made by one of the top Chinese manufacturers that also manufacutre some of the best aftermarket ballasts.
The Morimoto bulbs are manufactured by Yeaky and get pretty good reviews against the best out there.
For just over £20 they have a 1yr warranty. I was very impressed by the improvement, went for the 5500K bulbs which are a very bright white.

Last edited:
I run my Osram D3S on 55w D1S morimoto ballasts and that was were the real benefit come from.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I run my Osram D3S on 55w D1S morimoto ballasts and that was were the real benefit come from.

What's the difference with those D1S Marimoto ballast on D3S bulb compare to normal Osram ballast on the same bulb?

What's the difference with those D1S Marimoto ballast on D3S bulb compare to normal Osram ballast on the same bulb?

55w not 35w on an 85v output. So about 30% more light

Doesn't this shorten burners life?

Without doubt but to be fair they were designed fkr 55w use and then everyone started getting all eco and dumbed them down

Ah ok.
Will stay as am now so can get decent life.
Maybe in some time will change my CBI's for the X-tremevisions.

Ah ok.
Will stay as am now so can get decent life.
Maybe in some time will change my CBI's for the X-tremevisions.

I much prefer the CBIs.

I have clear lenses, modded projectors and RV shield delete.

b4b6e99c8d3abb829afb45f985a1f370.jpg

Reactions: KrisKrk
Resurrecting an old thread I know but I read this before I recently bought my bulbs. Went for the Philips XV gen2 after reading reviews. So glad I did. I bought some cheap bulbs on Amazon but have sent them back. Almost dangerous at night, very little output. The new ones are so much better than standard and way better than the Chinese ones I replaced.

Reactions: CHEZ