Xenon headlight issue

quattrov6tdi

Reaction score
hey guys,

My xenon lights are giving me a bit of trouble . I search the forum and i cant seem to find anything on it but forgive me if I missed it . The lights are not adjusting up . I took it to main dealer and the told me that the fault was the adjustment motors .So they were changed and no difference . The are bemused by it . I have orange warning in the dash with a picture of a like a light on low beam . I put my on vagcom on it and got the same fault .

Any help please

This happened to me too (although I didn't replace my motor on Audi's advice). I went to my local Independent and he reckoned it was the ballast pack, so I took a gamble and got myself a new one from the dealers and it sorted all the issues.

The error code will tell you what's wrong so suggest you find out what it was - save you some time!
The Workshop manuals we can get access to can then give a set of tests to check for the specific fault reported.

There are two suspension level sensors, one on the front and one on the rear suspension, sometimes the metal breaks on the mount and also the connections break or get dirty - check the connection and maybe worth a clean with some contact cleaner.
There is a control unit behind the glovebox, and of course a stepper motor in each headlight.

Test - as covered recently on another thread - I recall... Ignition off, Lights ON, ignition on and lights should move up to correct level position - check both sides - levelling is done at ignition on as opposed to lights on.

Ok I will check error code tomorrow .
But the error code I got was the same as my mechanic got with his snap on diag. and the same as main dealer and the same as my vagcom and three said replace the adjustment motor .

Thank for your reply by the way

Do I just remove the glove box and the control unit is there and what about access to the sensors on the suspension are they east to find .

thanks in advance

Did you try the test?

Item locations indicated below - Note: LHD diagrams so may need transposing to other side.

A4-B6%20Headlight%20Rangle%20Control.jpg

Did you try the test?

I tried the test and got no joy .

Now my vagcom is giving me a bit of trouble so I got a loan of a mate's launch .

This is the fault code .

Code 01535 R headlight range ctrl positive motor v49 short circuit to earth.

I put it up on the ramp and check the modules as you showed but to be honest I couldnt see any thing out of place wiring etc. I can tell you that when the fault accured I did have excessive weight in the boot for a long journey .

Sorry for bumping again.

I tried the test and got no joy .

Now my vagcom is giving me a bit of trouble so I got a loan of a mate's launch .

This is the fault code .

Code 01535 R headlight range ctrl positive motor v49 short circuit to earth.

I put it up on the ramp and check the modules as you showed but to be honest I couldnt see any thing out of place wiring etc. I can tell you that when the fault accured I did have excessive weight in the boot for a long journey .

Sorry for bumping again.

The error code is saying there is a connection problem with the Right Headlight Motor V49.
Audi%20A4-B6%20-%20Headlight%20Wiring%20-%20Xenon%20Right%20Side.jpg

I would suggest checking all connections between the Headlight range control unit J431 (behind glovebox) to the actual right headlight motor V49.
I have highlighted the relevant circuit above in red.
It is also worth checking the connections at your A-pillar for connector 17c (17-pin RED connector).

Just done a search in Bentley Manuals on the error number 01535 and there is a Technical Bulletin saying to check the connections - here is a link to a >>screenshot pdf<< of the Bulletin.

Curious who www.capav.com are or will be.

It's a private joke on one of my colleagues at work - it's when he is leaving for pastures new. capav.com is my web domain space where I host my various pictures and info for the forum.

Last edited:
Ahhh thought you had something up your sleeve matey, lol.

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread but my DiS has over the past few days has been flashing up faulty headlight level system. It is on and off though I.e the warning light will beep stay on for a couple of mins then go off. Then back on, off etc.. It's driving me mad (the beeping) been told this is probably a dirty sensor as mentioned above, but have no VCDS to confirm :( will try cleaning sensors and see how we go

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread but my DiS has over the past few days has been flashing up faulty headlight level system. It is on and off though I.e the warning light will beep stay on for a couple of mins then go off. Then back on, off etc.. It's driving me mad (the beeping) been told this is probably a dirty sensor as mentioned above, but have no VCDS to confirm :( will try cleaning sensors and see how we go

As mentioned above get a scan and you will then know what's triggering the error - there are many VCDS/VAG-COM owners out there who can help - check out this >>Link<<

Download the pdf I have linked above - it could be a known connection problem on the control unit behinf the glovebox.

Yeah I would give the connectors on the levelling sensors a once over as maybe got some gunk in there thats corroded a pin or 2, cause even if the arms had broken they dont tend to show an error iirc, just point the light at incorrect position.

Cleaned the sensor contacts today - still showing fault (intermittent) still no movement from lights when performing above test... Cant get my VAGCOM to work keeps freezing up on me. I guess the next check is the controller behind the glovebox - :)

Get a genuine vagcom mate, never have issues then :p

OK, I disconnected the isoblock from the control unit behind the glovebox - and it appears to have cleared the fault. Now when the ignition is performed the lights move up.. well they do for now... time will tell... thanks for all your input :)

Update: DIS still showing fault - so I went back to the control unit and with the ignition on, unplugged the isoblock from the unit.. the fault cleared, plugged it back in, fault re-appeared, unplugged, fault cleared.. disconnected battery, plugged back in, fault appeared... so I have left the thing unplugged - I can only assume this means the control unit is faulty? Would you agree? - or could it still be the wiring issue? - which I can imagine is a ****** to sort? Also anyone know the part number of this control unit and approx cost?

(Also posted in another thread\0)

You need to log the car 1st before rushing out getting new module as it may not be this.

Your control unit part number is clearly stated in the >>other thread<< you listed your scan on relating to HID Range control problems, it's also written on the actual unit.

Headlight Range Control unit: 4Z7 907 357 @ ~£190
Self Levelling Suspension sensor [Rear]: 8E0 616 571 D @ ~£110
Self Levelling Suspension sensor [Front]: 8E0 941 285 J @ ~£90

Price is approx & inc. VAT

Last edited:
Everything seems to be ok with the unit unplugged... Any real reason to fix it? I mean who ever alters the headlight height anyway???

Scan done found 2 fault codes

According to ross tech wiki, bad earth / wiring??

Anyone can help and shed a bit more light on this?
Thanks

And so are headlight washers !! Soon to be part of MOT

And the relevance of this with regard to OEM factory fitted HID's is???

Let's please focus on the problem in hand here and contribute to problem resolution.

And the relevance of this with regard to OEM factory fitted HID's is???

Let's please focus on the problem in hand here and contribute to problem resolution.

Merely pointing out to anyone reading the thread and who may be considering converting to xenons, that as you correctly pointed out, levelling is a legal requirement as are headlight washers. If the questioner didn't know that levellers were a legal requirement (which he clearly didn't ) then no doubt he and lots of others didn't know about the headlamp washers or the forthcoming MOT implications.

Both are soon to be part of the MOT.

No need to take that attitude mate - purely pointing it out for the possible benefit of others !

Woorlord I think Mike was merely making a point that he really should address/fix the issue given both these systems are legally required, whereas the OP seems to be indicating he will just leave it as it is, which the mot rules will fail him on when they bring these in, Mike made a fair comment, cant see why you needed to post that tbh mate as I often read your posts & always very helpful & non friction.

Merely pointing out to anyone reading the thread and who may be considering converting to xenons, that as you correctly pointed out, levelling is a legal requirement as are headlight washers. If the questioner didn't know that levellers were a legal requirement (which he clearly didn't ) then no doubt he and lots of others didn't know about the headlamp washers or the forthcoming MOT implications.

Both are soon to be part of the MOT.

No need to take that attitude mate - purely pointing it out for the possible benefit of others !

Like I said irrelevant to fixing the problem in question as this is an OEM factory fit HID issue and not HID retrofit Perhaps relevant in the correct relevant thread?

Like I said irrelevant to fixing the problem in question as this is an OEM factory fit HID issue and not HID retrofit Perhaps relevant in the correct relevant thread?

Fair enough but consider what would happen if the OP took his car in for MOT and it failed.

At least he (OEM fit or not) knows that if they are not working then it won't pass.

Still reckon it was worth a mention, whether you agree or not !

Hope you fix his problem

Thanks for the reminder Mike on the Headlight Washers, you do have a very valid point that this too is required to be strictly street legal with HID's.

Yes, get a used unit & try swapping over if you have checked the sensor wiring on axles, logged into the headlight levelling module ok, checked all associated wiring.

I would check no wires have been coaught somewhere creating a short of some kind as its strange this comes up as dont see it often & modules are fairly reliable, although I would try another.

Not trying to sell, but you really do need vcds to track this fault down & also code/test a replacement module anyway, otherwise you'll be on this for more weeks.

Thanks NHN.. I've been trying to locate a module but they are as rare as chicken teeth, either that or I'm looking in the wrong places!! Yeah I'm thinking I need an auto electrician with VCDS to sort it for me. Do you know of anywhere around Nottingham?

PM me as I would be able to look at this for you if interested & maybe be able to get a module aswell.

Update: I managed to get a VCDS scan done and these are the results:

Tuesday,12,April,2011,15:37:19:26365
VCDS Version: Release 805.1

Address 55: Xenon Range
Control Module Part Number: 4Z7 907 357
Component and/or Version: dynamische LWR D09
Software Coding: 00060
Work Shop Code: WSC 63351
1 Fault Found

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Left Front (G78)
31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8E0-614-517.lbl
Part No: 8E0 614 517 Q
Component: ABS/ESP allrad 3032
Coding: 04595
Shop #: WSC 06435

1 Fault Found
01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85); Supply Voltage Terminal 30
35-10 - - - Intermittent

It would appear fault code 00774 is no longer an issue!

So does this mean there is a bad earth from the front sensor to the module???

Also is the other fault code anything to worry about?

Thanks

Thank for all the info above .

I have checked all the wiring and connections and all is ok . I have disconnected the module behind the glove box and the fault is cleared but the lights are in the same position .

I have not reconnected it yet .