Xenon Kit A4 Avant question

ang12el

Reaction score
Have been looking around at the kits for above car and would like to know do the kits include the actual bulbs ? Has anyone fitted there own and if so was it easy enough.. Sounds easy enough when explained on some sites but not being the most technicaly minded person I dont want to buy a kit and then find I have to start messing around....
If anyone has a link to to the supplier they got them from it would be great..

Another question I have what about the side lights can I get bulbs for those or will I have to get some blue osram lights.. If someone could advise I would apprecaite it

Thanks

They are very easy to fit, the worst bit is securing the ballasts so they don't move around. The kits will always include the bulbs unless you are buying OEM parts. The only thing you will need for an Audi kit is a 'bulb failure' add on box or some of the suppliers are now producing the ballasts units with this feature built into them.

As for side lights, don't go for LED ones as these will bring on 'bulb failure' warnings as the LEDs don't have enough resistance (unless you want to add something like 25w 10hm resistor to each side light). I sell loads of the 'Ultra' ice white upgrade bulbs '501' types and I get good feedback from customers about these (especially at £2.95 a pair).

So there we go ! Easy as that !

Andy

Hi Andyccr just fited some xenon on my a4 avant very happy with them looking at changing the silde light to the 'Ultra' ice white upgrade bulbs '501' types do you have an pic of this? also do you sell them?

thanks
paz

I went for a HID upgrade kit (Invertors & Bulbs) from Hong Kong just before Xmas 2007 - cost me £51 inc P&P off flea-bay, said they were BOSCH - Made in Germany - probably a very good copy?? My thinking at this price if they are no good a cheap lesson learned, but an affordable one!

My personal recommendation would be the 6000K temp bulbs. I think stock bulbs are lower at 4300K or less, and the whiter light is what we are trying to achieve over the halogen yellow! But note that going to a higher temp will look a whiter/blue and will have a shorter cut off distance which will impede lamp projection distance performance.

I wanted to hide the invertors, so found I could bolt them underneath the plastic bracket which is bolted to the chassis underneath the headlight assembly. This took a little while to figure out and only one hole to drill in a plastic removal bracket which I could have replaced if I screwed it all up. I did have to file a small part of the HID invertor bracket to get it to fit into the Audi bracket screw clip. Also drilled a 20mm hole in the back of the headlight cover - again if I wanted to revert back to stock then buy a new access cover, (which had a part number on it), and no one would be the wiser.

They work a treat - just remember to get your alignment checked after fitting.

As they have all said, its easy fitting them and to me it was easier mounting the ballasts. Took around 45mins but could have been done quicker but why rush!!!!

I didnt add any resistors and mine are fine, no bulb warnings etc.
Some of us on here have gone with different kits and from what ive found out is that some kits cause Bulb warnings, some dont.

As for LED's, I was going to try some but again, some are fitting without any probs, some are. I went for the standard 501 bulb in the end but looks crap still as they dont match the 6000k hid bulb, not bright enough.

Will change them soon I reckon.

6K is perfect, any higher then the more blue stroke Purple you'll get. Ive seen some 10K on a golf near me and looks ****** pathetic.
Mine cost me £75 delivered from UK company.

As for LED's, I was going to try some but again, some are fitting without any probs, some are. I went for the standard 501 bulb in the end but looks crap still as they dont match the 6000k hid bulb, not bright enough.

LED replacement 501's will flash since the Power unit module thinks the bulb is not drawing enough current as per a filament bulb and may be blown. A ballast resistor would be required connected in parallel to fool PU module. I ended up using a Philips BlueVision 501 bulb over the standard bulb - maybe slighter whiter through the blue glass coating - but still not a match for the 6K Xenons!!

Also, my HID kit did not bring up any dashboard bulb errors and so did not require any ballast resistors - this was a good plus point for this kit.

Here are some pictures of the mountings I used........
(Just hosted the pictures elsewhere to make them accessible here)

HID Inverter bolted to existing under the headlamp bracket which you will find when you remove the headlight lens. It's secured in by two torx bolts.
(red circle on left where i shaped the ballast bracket into the existing Audi mounting,
and left red circle where I added a bolt)
HID_a.jpg

Under the bracket, which is actually what you see when you remove the headlight cluster, the HID inverter can fit underneath.....
HID_b.jpg

Had to trim the left of the inverter bracket to fit into the existing Audi clinch nut...
HID_b1.jpg

Back of my light cluster, grommet fitted in back of access panel to pass through HID cables.......
HID_c.jpg

Oh yes - Audi projector lenses are Xenon compatible - it says so on the back!!
(H7=Halogen / D1S=Xenon ..... these are the bulb types.)
HID_d.jpg

LED replacement 501's will flash since the Power unit module thinks the bulb is not drawing enough current as per a filament bulb and may be blown. A ballast resistor would be required connected in parallel to fool PU module.quote]

I might take a Fiver gamble to see if mine will throw up errors because some on here have been lucky and fitted without a Prob. Think QuattroJames did it without any probs.
My luck they wont work...

I might take a Fiver gamble to see if mine will throw up errors because some on here have been lucky and fitted without a Prob. Think QuattroJames did it without any probs.

The Science......
A standard 5W 501 bulb draws 0.416Amps @ 12v. In comparison a standard single LED around 0.020Amps (20mA), with a voltage drop of 1.2volts. There are numerous LED 501 replacement bulbs with various amount of LED elements, and internal wiring possibilities.

The greater number of single LED's in the package will increase the light output and the total current - the limiting factor is physical size to fit the 501 package size.
I would go for this option if the replacement LED bulb did not require any additional external ballast resistor - if anybody has come across a 100% compatible 501 White LED bulb replacement then let us know who manufactures it or where it can be sourced??

Our cars are just too clever for their own good!
:idea:

Correct, mine worked faultlessly from the outset. :happy:

The Science......
A standard 5W 501 bulb draws 0.416Amps @ 12v. In comparison a standard single LED around 0.020Amps (20mA), with a voltage drop of 1.2volts. There are numerous LED 501 replacement bulbs with various amount of LED elements, and internal wiring possibilities.​

The greater number of single LED's in the package will increase the light output and the total current - the limiting factor is physical size to fit the 501 package size.​
I would go for this option if the replacement LED bulb did not require any additional external ballast resistor - if anybody has come across a 100% compatible 501 White LED bulb replacement then let us know who manufactures it or where it can be sourced??

Our cars are just too clever for their own good!
:idea:

I bought these:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-p-1545.html

It does indeed seem to be a bit random whether these work for everyone or not. All I can say is despite the scientific bit above :think: mine work fine and match my 6000k HID's perfectly and I have never had any DIS bulb out warnings.

:hi:

....ThankYou James:salute:

and there you have it WoorLord!!!

Thanks quattrojames - will give these a go and let you all know the outcome.
:beerchug:

hi woorlord.
would you mind telling me please, is the price of 4.99 for one bulb or two ? .
would you also know if you can use these for front foglights ?
thank you.

hi woorlord.
would you mind telling me please, is the price of 4.99 for one bulb or two ? .
would you also know if you can use these for front foglights ?
thank you.

For **Two** LED 501 replacements (u5019w) from the specified website which are for my front sidelights, I paid in total 2x £4.70 + Delivery @ £2.40 = £11.80. There are various discounts for quantity of leds as indicated on the web page.

Summary of bulb types:
Halogen Dipped Beam.......... Bulb Type H7 (Xenons = D1S type bulb)
Tungsten Sidelights............ Bulb Type 501
Halogen Main Beam............. Bulb Type H7
Halogen Foglights............... Bulb Type H11

You will not find a "White" Halogen equivalent to match true High Voltage 6K White Xenons - it's always going to be some shade of yellow!!

£4.99 each, not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. And they won't ever fail (hopefully!)
These bulbs won't fit front fogs no, but they are only rated at 5w :uhm:

Or did I miss your point? :whistle2:

@ Woorlord, excellent news they worked mate! :beerchug:

Go for 4300k They are the best I've seen and closer to original. They kick in blue and turn Ice White, brilliant on the dark roads. Had some 8000k on my Audi last year too blue and not so bright on dark road.

Good luck.

Any pics of the HID's and LED 501s working together?

Also which bulbs would be good to use for the fogs to compliment the xenon white look? Has anyone done this?

Will post pictures over next couple of days - have my MOT tomorrow, (1st Sept), so thought it cautious to leave the standard sidelight 501 bulbs in place - will swap to LED's tomorrow night. What I can also do is sidelights before and after pics.

Also which bulbs would be good to use for the fogs to compliment the xenon white look? Has anyone done this?

I will try tomorrow too, although it is notoriously difficult to capture HID's in a picture (for me at least!)

Fogs are H11 type bulbs, HID kits are available for them. This is another mod I'm planning some time .....

I have heard good reports about these:
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=113

However I was speaking to someone at the weekend who has just bought some HID's for £40!

I have the OSRAM Nightbreakers as Mainbeam- not convinced they are any improvement over standard bulbs to be honest - it probably cause they are next to proper 6K Xenons in my case. Was going to get some H11 for the fogs - will have a re-think.

Ehhhh! £40 way to expensive, what about these at £35......:haha:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-AUDI-A4-A6-A8-S4-AVANT-RS6-H7_W0QQitemZ300253082780QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item300253082780&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This Fleabay shop has all bulb types - the above link is an example with H7.
Prices are still lower than ever from Hong Kong!!
You could still get stung for import duty and VAT if HMC&E take an interest?

Ehhhh! £40 way to expensive, what about these at £35......:haha:

I wouldn't buy either kit to be honest. far rather pay a bit more for a better product.

See my earlier comment ref LED sidelight's - price aint everything ;)

Pictures of the 501's with 6K Xenons........

NOTE: Started taking pics of original 501 Philips BlueVision tungsten lights and my digital camera (Canon IXUS900Ti) made em look quite white, although I could see they were not. The camera was initially on "Auto White Balance". I changed this for the viewfinder picture to look more to what I saw in front of me - the best match was setting the White Balance to "Cloudy". All of the following pictures were taken at the same position on a tripod.

1. Original 501 Philips BlueVision sidelights >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
1_SidePhilipsBlueVision_DippedXenon.jpg

2. Left sidelight=9xLED 501 Equivalent, Right sidelight=Philips BlueVision 501 >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
2_LSide9LED_RSidePhilipsBlueVision_DippedXenon.jpg

3. 9xLED 501 Equivalent >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
3_Side9LED_DippedXenon.jpg

4. 9xLED 501 Equivalent plus 6K Dipped Xenons plus OSRAM Nightbreakers on Main
4_Side9LED_DippedXenon_MainNightbreaker.jpg

5. All Ambient outside garage lights switched off....
9xLED 501 Equivalent >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
5_Side9LED_DippedXenon_MainNightbreaker.jpg

And you know what I forgot to take any pictures with the front fogs on :keule:

Will add some tomorrow if I have time.

hi all just in case youre not aware "woorlord" has taken some comparison pics of various headlamp bulbs.

the pics are in this thread somewhere :icon_thumright:

Sorry, from reading the above thread the 9xLED 501 replacement lamps (bulbs grow in the ground...), are a straight replacement, no other work involved?

Sorry, from reading the above thread the 9xLED 501 replacement lamps (bulbs grow in the ground...), are a straight replacement, no other work involved?

Yep - That's the cool thing - simple old tungsten "lamps" out, new LED's in.
No need for splicing wires and adding ballast resistors to fool the Power Module.

On fitting, I was fortunate to be able to get access to the side lights via the rear access panel, (twist the headlight level motor through 90 degrees), and the back side light is accessible at your finger tips. On the n/s unit unclip the ABS cabling and move it a little out the way. Normally, I remove the entire light cluster via the 4 torx bolts to gain full access.
(A course in Gynecology would be advantageous.)

TIP: To maximise LED light dispersion I made sure the outer LEDS were at 45 degrees to the horizontal.......X.........as oppesed to..........+.
My thinking was to maximise the light into the surrounding reflector.

Here again is the link for the LEDS sourced originally by "quatrrojames".......
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/501194t10-mini-light-tower-leds-xenon-white-p-1545.html

Pictures of the 501's with 6K Xenons........

NOTE: Started taking pics of original 501 Philips BlueVision tungsten lights and my digital camera (Canon IXUS900Ti) made em look quite white, although I could see they were not. The camera was initially on "Auto White Balance". I changed this for the viewfinder picture to look more to what I saw in front of me - the best match was setting the White Balance to "Cloudy". All of the following pictures were taken at the same position on a tripod.

1. Original 501 Philips BlueVision sidelights >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
1_SidePhilipsBlueVision_DippedXenon.jpg

2. Left sidelight=9xLED 501 Equivalent, Right sidelight=Philips BlueVision 501 >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
2_LSide9LED_RSidePhilipsBlueVision_DippedXenon.jpg

3. 9xLED 501 Equivalent >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
3_Side9LED_DippedXenon.jpg

4. 9xLED 501 Equivalent plus 6K Dipped Xenons plus OSRAM Nightbreakers on Main
4_Side9LED_DippedXenon_MainNightbreaker.jpg

5. All Ambient outside garage lights switched off....
9xLED 501 Equivalent >> plus 6K Dipped Xenons
5_Side9LED_DippedXenon_MainNightbreaker.jpg

And you know what I forgot to take any pictures with the front fogs on :keule:

Will add some tomorrow if I have time.

Pics look great mate. Just to recap then, the sidelights are 9xLED 501 Equivalent, 6K HID's for dipped. Do I have that right? QuattroJames, is this what you're running too? I know you've both posted up links etc, so just confirming I've paid attention proplerly - it's been a long week! :lazy:

Not sure about the H11's after comments on QuattroJames' other thread.

BUB if you see this thread let us know what you are running for the fogs mate? The pics of your car with the fogs on, look great! :hubbahubba:

Pics look great mate. Just to recap then, the sidelights are 9xLED 501 Equivalent, 6K HID's for dipped. Do I have that right? QuattroJames, is this what you're running too? I know you've both posted up links etc, so just confirming I've paid attention proplerly - it's been a long week! :lazy:
Sidelights: 9xLED 501 Equivalent
Dipped Beam: 6K H7 HID's
Main Beam: OSRAM NIghtbreaker H7 Halogen
Fog lights: no pictures yet - H11 standard bulbs
:icon_thumright:

Not sure about the H11's after comments on QuattroJames' other thread.

Yes mate thats exactly what I have.

Haven't given the fogs much thought since, I think i will initially check the lights/reflectors themselves are good and maybe just replace with some better quality 55w halogens. TBH it's rarely foggy enough to use them so not worth spending much on them. Was just thinking HID's as an experiment really, maybe even rewire them into the main beams or something .... ?

im looking at upgrading my front headlamps the ones i have are pretty dim so im looking at upgrading to superbright lamps not xenons just 60w but ive just had a look at how i replace them and it looks a nightmare am i correct in saying i have to take the full light out?4xstar bolts?

im looking at upgrading my front headlamps the ones i have are pretty dim so im looking at upgrading to superbright lamps not xenons just 60w but ive just had a look at how i replace them and it looks a nightmare am i correct in saying i have to take the full light out?4xstar bolts?

Simply - YES!
Remove the 2x Torx bolts on top of the light assembly
&
Loosen the 2x Torx bolts behind the light assembly.
The light assembly then pulls out giving you access to the two access panels.

Redspudder - Taking the lights out is pretty easy really. You just need to have a long enough Torx driver to get the lower screws loose. This guide should help:
A4_headlamp_001.jpg

A4_headlamp2_001.jpg

A4_headlamp3_001.jpg

A4_headlamp4_001.jpg

Nice 1 james that is a real help ive just had a look and i have torx drivers in my socket set and the extension looks like it will fit i am going to give it a go tommorrow

Quattro James thanks for the advice i changed the lamps earlier took me about 30mins to do both a bit fiddly but it looks a worse job than it actually is

Quattro James thanks for the advice i changed the lamps earlier took me about 30mins to do both a bit fiddly but it looks a worse job than it actually is

No worries mate, you might need to double check your headlight alignment having had the lights out ;)

Redspudder - Taking the lights out is pretty easy really. You just need to have a long enough Torx driver to get the lower screws loose. This guide should help:
A4_headlamp_001.jpg

A4_headlamp2_001.jpg

A4_headlamp3_001.jpg

A4_headlamp4_001.jpg

This is helpful, going to be working on this tomorrow.
cheers

Its pretty straightforward. The most important thing is to not fully remove the two lower screws. They only need loosening enough to slide the lamp unit out.