Xenon motors

S£

Reaction score
My near side light points down quite a lot more than the o/s but when i turn my lights on they both line up, but then it drops back down again, is this a motor problem or i know they can be aligned via vag com, could that fix it?

It's probably a corroded connection in the motor unit.

A couple of options.

1. Spend ~£80 or so on a new motor unit from Audi

2. Take it out and carefully dismantle it and clean all the contacts with switch cleaner. It's VERY fragile though!! Took about an hour for both when I did it.

Option 2 certainly worked for me as of 6 months ago.

Cheers,

Sounds like you have a sensor problem here not a motor problem. The angle of the light is taken from 2 sensors from what i remember. One on the rear of the car and one at the front.

Mine is doing exactly the same thing. There is a plug on the inside of the lamp unit, (nearest side to the radiator) unplug this to temporarily solve the problem. Turn the lights on, wait until they are level and unplug. They wont auto-level after that and will remain as set. I'm looking into the sensor problem with mine and will let you know the outcome.

G

It's probably a corroded connection in the motor unit.

A couple of options.

1. Spend ~£80 or so on a new motor unit from Audi

2. Take it out and carefully dismantle it and clean all the contacts with switch cleaner. It's VERY fragile though!! Took about an hour for both when I did it.

Option 2 certainly worked for me as of 6 months ago.

Cheers,

Is it possible to buy a new adjustment motor from the dealers...I never had any luck in finding one...had to buy a brand new headlight :tocktock:

doesn't sound like a motor problem for the o/s light given that it is travelling up and down suggesting the motor is okay. the motor in the n/s (i.e. not moving) unit sounds like it is not operating though.

also i suspect it is not a sensor problem, i have recently replaced the knackered one on the rear suspension arm and the one on the front suspension os okay, yet i still have the same issues where the headlights drop after a few minutes running.

Possibly it could be the auto levelling control unit.

Sounds like you have a sensor problem here not a motor problem. The angle of the light is taken from 2 sensors from what i remember. One on the rear of the car and one at the front.

Mine is doing exactly the same thing. There is a plug on the inside of the lamp unit, (nearest side to the radiator) unplug this to temporarily solve the problem. Turn the lights on, wait until they are level and unplug. They wont auto-level after that and will remain as set. I'm looking into the sensor problem with mine and will let you know the outcome.

G

The sensors only tell the headlights to move up or down & there is one on front axle & one on rear, there isnt one in each corner as such to control individually, the sensors dont work the lights seperately so it's highly unlikely a sensor issue, the lights are controlled as one entity so if was sensor issue then would do the same to both headlights, his problem sounds like a motor or levelling module problem, also whilst checking motor check adjustment but you really need vagcom to do this as below.

Vagcom doesnt adjust the headlights, wish people would understand this, all it does is sets what is known as MOT mode so you can adjust it, this is a set motor position that then allows you to correct manually via the adjustment screws to mot spec when on flat surface.

Is it possible to buy a new adjustment motor from the dealers...I never had any luck in finding one...had to buy a brand new headlight :tocktock:

Motors can be bought seperately, you must have either crap eyesite or totally crap dealers as I just found it in etka in 10 seconds flat, lol

doesn't sound like a motor problem for the o/s light given that it is travelling up and down suggesting the motor is okay. the motor in the n/s (i.e. not moving) unit sounds like it is not operating though.

also i suspect it is not a sensor problem, i have recently replaced the knackered one on the rear suspension arm and the one on the front suspension os okay, yet i still have the same issues where the headlights drop after a few minutes running.

Possibly it could be the auto levelling control unit.

Yeah its one of several things really, motor, levelling module or the rubber mounting for the manual adjustment screws has come of.

Scan with vagcom aswell.

ive been having the same problem.

Had it a while ago aswel, and i took both motors aparts - cleaned the contacts and refitted the terminals onto the motor to ensure a tighter grip on the pcb.

Seems fine now. Ideally the tags the motor sits on need re-soldering aswel most the time. Looking at how it sits i think it might be the problem.

I don'y get any of the above. Common sense would tell me that the sensors control the headlights (up & down) for lets say towing a caravan. I would assume that the sensors would be what would determine the level of the light not the motor. Motors unless they have sensors built in which ours don't, usual are what physically move the item in question.

Maybe i'm way off here but wouldn't it be the sensors telling ECU to level lights, not the motor?

I've unplugged my motors for now, but would like them back on. So is there anyone here who's had this very same issue, and fixed it??

G

If both lights were drooping, I would suspect the sensors on the suspension, but as one is behaving properly I would suspect the motor unit itself.

The motor units do have a sensor built in. It's a little linear potentiometer which feeds back the height that the lights are set to, so the unit acts like a servo.

It is a cheap little open faced pot which seems to be prone to wearing out or getting dirty. My droopy headlight was cured when I dimantled the motor unit, cleaned the contacts, resoldered some of the PCB joints. I also carefully dismantled the pot, cleaned the slider and resistance then reassembled it.

Since then my lights have not drooped once.

Just takes some time, simple tools and a delicate touch.

Cheers,

Motors can be bought seperately, you must have either crap eyesite or totally crap dealers as I just found it in etka in 10 seconds flat, lol

Well I found the headlight range control motor ages ago my self on VAGCat.com but when I asked the dealer they claimed that it wasn't possible to order that single part...I had to order the whole headlight unit (and for the nice and fair price of 700 quid I (naturally) went online and found a spanking new headlight (complete Hella unit) from a UK seller who apparently didn't know what he was selling; he gave it to me for 160 pounds...Never did find another motor, used or new and I searched for ages...

Well, I hope threadstarter get it sorted...Good luck!

I don'y get any of the above. Common sense would tell me that the sensors control the headlights (up & down) for lets say towing a caravan. I would assume that the sensors would be what would determine the level of the light not the motor. Motors unless they have sensors built in which ours don't, usual are what physically move the item in question.

Maybe i'm way off here but wouldn't it be the sensors telling ECU to level lights, not the motor?

I've unplugged my motors for now, but would like them back on. So is there anyone here who's had this very same issue, and fixed it??

G

Sensors just advise the level of the axle, this then communicates to the internal levelling control module that is connected to the cars network to then send a signal to the motors to go up or down, the motors are not controlled seperately, they work together, or should, so should be at same position at all times given there is only one sensor on each axle, if they were controlled seperately then there would be 4 sensors, one on each corner, but imagine the headlights going up down different times etc would be nightmare with bumps in road, lol

If both lights were drooping, I would suspect the sensors on the suspension, but as one is behaving properly I would suspect the motor unit itself.

The motor units do have a sensor built in. It's a little linear potentiometer which feeds back the height that the lights are set to, so the unit acts like a servo.

It is a cheap little open faced pot which seems to be prone to wearing out or getting dirty. My droopy headlight was cured when I dimantled the motor unit, cleaned the contacts, resoldered some of the PCB joints. I also carefully dismantled the pot, cleaned the slider and resistance then reassembled it.

Since then my lights have not drooped once.

Just takes some time, simple tools and a delicate touch.

Cheers,

Yeap spot on I agree, fairly easy fix tbh.

Well I found the headlight range control motor ages ago my self on VAGCat.com but when I asked the dealer they claimed that it wasn't possible to order that single part...I had to order the whole headlight unit (and for the nice and fair price of 700 quid I (naturally) went online and found a spanking new headlight (complete Hella unit) from a UK seller who apparently didn't know what he was selling; he gave it to me for 160 pounds...Never did find another motor, used or new and I searched for ages...

Well, I hope threadstarter get it sorted...Good luck!

Its definitely a seperate part mate as found it in etka straight away, parts departments man for most are useless, lucky enough I have a great parts guy who really knows his stuff.

Anyway 01-03 part is 8L0941295B & 99-00 is 3B0941295B on xenons, also shows on halogens aswell.

I had the same problem. Only one headlight was hitting the ground. And it occasionally would work correctly, to then hit the ground again next time I drove it.

Spent nearly £200 having headlight dismantled, and diagnosed - to no avail. Still problem persisted.
In the end I replaced the motor myself and that fixed the problem.

Thanks guys, think I'll start by taking the motor out and seeing If I can see what's wrong with it.