Xenon retrofit to a1

theblueflash

Reaction score
Without adding to what seems like already too many threads on this subject I really need some help. I planned on doing this a while ago but never had time (not that I've got time now)

I was sure that there was a guide to this process but all I can find is threads with minor information and the regular 'it's not worth it comments' and 'youll need headlight washers!'

I'm planning on doing the whole thing but want to make sure the headlights work without fault first.

I have vcds and the parts ready but I'm facing limited time with a car that's in daily use so would like a straightforward guide and coding copy to make things easier.

Can anyone link this information for me? I'm sure it exists but I just cannot find anything definitive.

Car is a 2013 s-line 2.0tdi

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did this a few years back . I'm sorry I can't give you a guide as I very forgot . All I can say is that I used loom adaptors from ebay.it was successful without any errors and it passed the mot every time without headlight washers up to 18 months ago when I removed them and sold the car

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I did this a few years back . I'm sorry I can't give you a guide as I very forgot . All I can say is that I used loom adaptors from ebay.it was successful without any errors and it passed the mot every time without headlight washers up to 18 months ago when I removed them and sold the car

I'll keep this updated as I go but I'm awaiting a few spares as one of my headlights isn't compete. As soon as I get them I'll plug them in.

My first concern is the loom adapters. I bought them on eBay as well. The issue is the kufatec ones you can get have additional wires to go to the bcm, the eBay ones I have don't. Im wondering if the headlights will have full functionality (DRLs, lights, main beam) without them. Did you have any extra wires to connect?

Yes one for the high beam shutter

I bought them from a company called we-sell-hids. I've attached a pic.

There was this little piece of paper in the box as well which I'm assuming means there is additional work to do. There were no other instructions or wires with it. I've messaged them to ask what the deal is. Worst case is I return them and buy another loom. Cheers

2351d9563e315e66c1c1e56966808728.jpg

Last edited:
Are they referring to the ccm plugs

I guess so. They've replied. Apparently it's an updated loom which doesn't carry the additional wires but you perform a wire location swap at the bcm instead.

Next mission is to determine if the BCM will accept the xenons or if I'll need a different unit. Does anyone know for certain which part numbers accept the coding changes? I'll stick a scan of my car up this evening as well

My 63 s line was fine . I take it your fitting the lights with the drl led

My 63 s line was fine . I take it your fitting the lights with the drl led

Yea mate. Mines a 63 plate as well. Hoping it's got the right one in. Save me some time of it has. I'll get the scan up anyway. Should get round to fitting them in the next week or so. If not it might highlight the issue beforehand

Any updates on your retrofit ?

Not yet mate. Waiting on a new bulb as the guy I bough my light from had the wrong one in there. If that unit works when I plug it in I'll move onto the bcm wiring. I'm hoping the wires are long enough to move and don't need extending an re soldering. Guess if I remove enough of the fabric wrapping I'll be able to pull out the relevant wire and move them over

A little progress. Got the headlights fitted this weekend. Was surprised that they came out without having to remove the bumper which was nice.

I'm having issues with the coding tho.

Byte 14 bit 3 checked
Byte 17 bit 2 checked

The problem I now have is in the light setup. Obviously I only have the one option for an A1 (halogen)

Everything else is xenon/led for a Q3.

So I went through these options and the headlights work with the DRLs on all but one. But I get a warning on the dis for a rear indicator fault. Brake lights as indicators or the indicators flashing inside the boot but not on the outside (weird I know)

I'm using # (23) with normal tails. This is the only option which allows the rear indicators to work. Problem is that the headlights work but the DRLs don't. They function as DRLs from the dis if selected. But the don't come on if you use the headlight switch.

No faults logged with vcds and no errors in the dis.

The only thing I haven't done is wire the shutters into the BCM as the loom I've bought is faulty. Can't see this making a difference to how the DRLs work?

Anyone got any ideas?

d0cfc1e7d357c391ccc1dee431538b78.jpg
aba7d69a8865286f08350a8a3915739b.jpg
cba5cf813d55b188509271267feb75e6.jpg
6613a00cab6db025f0929f0a133a9628.jpg

Should also mention that if you turn the DRLs on via the mmi and they come on, then turn the headlight switch to sidelights the DRLs go out. If you turn the headlights on the DRLs flicker.

I'm happy everything is working just something wrong with the coding?

Been out and had another go. Not sure if I missed something but I now have everything working.
Yet to test drive but a quick walkround and everything seems in working order.

So the two options pictured will allow DRLs from mmi and the headlight switch. The xenons power up and the indicators are working as intended. Don't know why they didn't work before.

Only stumbling block now is I get a passenger/driver side DRL error on the dis despite them working just fine.

Don't suppose anyone else has had this issue? Wondering if there's a byte somewhere that could be checked/unchecked for DRL operation that I've missed

822e5fc8ec6db6329ff36e3c2a9a235a.jpg
839d2bd6832623b8b0504e436e9a9536.jpg

Seems I spoke too soon. Drove to work this morning and the dash lit up. DRL/tail & brake light errors.

DRLs and brake lights worked but the tails didn't. So I guess my initial test was correct.

Basically back where I started now. I can get everything working just not together. I'd rather not have them installed as using the headlights means the DRLs are flickering the whole time.

So I'm now wondering if I need to swap out the BCM for one from an A1 with xenons from factory?

Been a few months with these on the car now. They seem to be working fine after a few teething issues.

One other problem has appeared. I did my first night drive last week and the levels for the lights are all over the place. I've tried connecting with vcds to '55 headlight range' but these no response from the controller. Which means I can't reset them or check anything.
I've had to manually adjust them so they're not dazzling anyone and are usable should I need to drive in the dark.

Anyone know why this would be? Is there a separate module/controller that would power something or are the headlight motors all built into the main units?

Ive not got round to installing the level sensor yet which is on my to do list but this surely won't stop me accessing the module in vcds?

Cheers

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

I used loom adaptors from ebay.it was successful without any errors and it passed the mot every time without headlight washers up to 18 months ago when I removed them and sold the car

Hi was looking to do the exact same thing this weekend was wondering if you had a guide or coding or any sort of help. Will be really appreciated. I have got both the lights and the adapter
Without adding to what seems like already too many threads on this subject I really need some help. I planned on doing this a while ago but never had time (not that I've got time now)

I was sure that there was a guide to this process but all I can find is threads with minor information and the regular 'it's not worth it comments' and 'youll need headlight washers!'

I'm planning on doing the whole thing but want to make sure the headlights work without fault first.

I have vcds and the parts ready but I'm facing limited time with a car that's in daily use so would like a straightforward guide and coding copy to make things easier.

Can anyone link this information for me? I'm sure it exists but I just cannot find anything definitive.

Car is a 2013 s-line 2.0tdi

Thanks in advance