xenone headlights.

neil ratcliffe

coupe rebuild master
Reaction score
hi friends a good freind of mine has just brought himself a set of xenon headlights for his 1.8t. he was told that they would work straight away. but i was under the impression that its not that easy. am i correct if so what will he need to do to make these work on his car.
thanks all.

If they are genuine B6 xenons from say a S4 ( not cabby ) then they will work from you existing plug.
Now obviously they won't be legal because of the auto levelling and wash system issues but you can rewire the plug to work with your manual levelling system so at least you can adjust them if you load up the rear of the car, you will also need to remove the self levelling motors and replace them with your manual ones if this is a route you decide to take as I did.

hi mate thank you for your reply. yes they are oem b6 xenons from a sedan and not a cabrolet. my mate will be fitting them but i will have to rewire the plug. would you be willing to pm me a diagram on how to do it. would be greatlly appricated if you could.
many thanbks neil

I did this in a previous thread
, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Here you go:
I did this a couple of years ago now and ideally you need to do a couple of mods to get a decent functioning headlight, firstly remove the self levelling motor and replace it with your manual levelling motor but you will notice that the "ball" on the end of the manual motor is slightly smaller than the auto levelling ones ( I inishally found the lights seem to jump a little ) I cured this by putting some heat shrink over the ball and this gave it a nice tight fit, then cut the plug for the auto levellers off, then using the plug off your original manual levellers do a bit of soldering, I will list them as old and new, old being your original wiring on your manual levelling motors and new being the S4 wires.
Connect the old blue to the new black
Connect the old brown to the new blue
Connect the old black to the new brown
You will also need to change the sidelight bulb holders if you want to use your original 501 sidelights, you should then have fully functioning headlights with manual levelling via the original switch, I've never had a problem with mot's but loads will say it's not legal but I can't be ***** with that argument I just wanted to be able to adjust the headlights if needed,hope this helps you.

Reactions: neil ratcliffe
thank you every so much mate. my mate wants me to do the wiring job over the weekend. this will be a great help

hi freinds i went to fit these headlights this arfternoon, upon opening the cover to fit the manual leveling motor. ive found that the xenon headlights have 4 wires and not 3 the additonal wire is a white one, where does this wire go to.
can anyone help with this.,
thanks all.

Nowhere that is power to the Auto levelling that you don't have on the standard, as I said previously you need to cut the plugs and re wire them

Reactions: neil ratcliffe