xenons - are they supposed to self adjust

dgannon

Dolphin Grey 2007 S3
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My car is a 2007 S3 - Is it right to assume that my xenons should adjust when the level of the car changes, for example i'm at the brow of a hill just on the decline but i can see the line of my lights well above the roof of oncoming cars?

This is a frequent thing and i seem to be blinding everyone and getting flashed constantly because people must think my lights are on Full beam?

Any advice asap much appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

The auto level system might have gone faulty...

Take it to Audi and see what they have to say but it should always keep the light on the road...

Yes, it's a legal requirement for the lights.

When you first turn the headlights on you should see them self test, the beam should go right down, then back up to the top, then adjust to the correct level for the beam.

Sorry, forgot to add that bit, they do self adjust when i switch on, but then when driving they don't...

Dave

its very hard to notice them moving when you are driving as the height adjustment is only very small so driving along you won't notice.

i get flashed all the time, its just that Audi xenons are very bright so its tough luck for the oncoming cars!

your adjustment is working as its doign the self adjust thing when you switch them on, if you drive up to a wall or fence and then move the car forwards and backwards you can usually see the lights adjusting a little bit at a time.

Ok mate thanks for the info... bit embarrasing keeping on blinding people, they really do not adjust at all when driving. i'll put some pics up later or tomorrow.

Robin is that a polo GT or G40? reminds me of the good old days!! you were on porka.net and Uk-polos weren't you?

Dave

G40 running 170bhp+......................

Yeah i used to own and run porka.net with Kam. Few years ago now, now its called Clubpolo.

Ahhh good old clubpolo. Used to my local forums back when I had my MK4 16valver.

its very hard to notice them moving when you are driving as the height adjustment is only very small so driving along you won't notice.

i get flashed all the time, its just that Audi xenons are very bright so its tough luck for the oncoming cars!

your adjustment is working as its doign the self adjust thing when you switch them on, if you drive up to a wall or fence and then move the car forwards and backwards you can usually see the lights adjusting a little bit at a time.

The lights wont adjust really when driving, they adjust when the car is loaded up and the angle the car sits on the road changes(so your not driving around with the beam high). They dont adjust all the time trying to keep the lights at a certain level while driving, they just dont work that quick.

If you have xenon lights and are getting flashed alot i.e. on flat roads or corners by oncoming traffic, your lights have been set to high by the dealer. Alot of dealers seem to set the beams too high or have no idea they need to be adjusted then calibrated at that position to the light control unit. If the top cutoff point of the beam is just high enough they bounce and glare oncoming traffic that isnt correct. Of course going up hill and over the brow you will always get people who flash even when the lights are set correctly.

The lights wont adjust really when driving, they adjust when the car is loaded up and the angle the car sits on the road changes(so your not driving around with the beam high). They dont adjust all the time trying to keep the lights at a certain level while driving, they just dont work that quick.

If you have xenon lights and are getting flashed alot i.e. on flat roads or corners by oncoming traffic, your lights have been set to high by the dealer. Alot of dealers seem to set the beams too high or have no idea they need to be adjusted then calibrated at that position to the light control unit. If the top cutoff point of the beam is just high enough they bounce and glare oncoming traffic that isnt correct. Of course going up hill and over the brow you will always get people who flash even when the lights are set correctly.

even if they are correctly set people will flash you, i used to have them on my old 8L A3 but I didnt have them linked to self leveling though I set them correctly using my MOT bay. I always had them set to the lowest position so they wouldnt blind people. Didnt stop them putting their main beam on, usually when i was right on them - nearly ended up in a field thanks to some smart *** despite it was obvious that i had just put my light down to dip. I was completely blinded as i went round a long bend doing 80mph.

If you didnt have self leveling did you retro fit them onto your car then? If you did and put a hid kit into a halogen reflector, beam scatter could be the reason you kept getting flashed.

I just fitted a set of headlights out of an S3 that i bought of ebay. I just kept the manual adjuster in the car to put them up & down. I know for a fact they werent too high, it was just the brightness. I got flashed in my Gfs old Ka too!

Mine go up, down, left and right, funny as ****

It could very well be they are set incorrectly, get someone local to you with vcds to set the mot mode for you, then goto an mot bay & get them checked & adjusted, then go back to the person with vcds & get them to turn of mot mode, this is how they should be done to set them correctly, the levelling system does work all the time because the sensor arms move with the suspension, they adjust minimally all the time that even the naked eye wont see whilst driving & if the sensors move to quickly either way immediately, then it will of course not adjust as its countered itself.

But to check, have you had any suspension upgrades done, usually this is the cause of broken sensor arms because they dont undo the sensors before they drop the suspension down which results in broken plastic arms, if these arms are broken then yes the sensors wont send the signals the onboard control module to the left of the steering column which inturn doesnt tell the lights to move, check the arms/sensors anyway as not beyond possibility they're faulty/broken.

So you can end up with the test mode on car startup still shows the up/down but when cars moving they wont adjust, which may/may not be your issue.

& the adaptives are spot on, one of best upgrades I installed tbh, love the way they follow the road now, but is funny as feck watching the test mode dance they do on startup huh Wizbit, lol hilarious as the headlight washers are

It could very well be they are set incorrectly, get someone local to you with vcds to set the mot mode for you, then goto an mot bay & get them checked & adjusted, then go back to the person with vcds & get them to turn of mot mode, this is how they should be done to set them correctly, the levelling system does work all the time because the sensor arms move with the suspension, they adjust minimally all the time that even the naked eye wont see whilst driving & if the sensors move to quickly either way immediately, then it will of course not adjust as its countered itself.

But to check, have you had any suspension upgrades done, usually this is the cause of broken sensor arms because they dont undo the sensors before they drop the suspension down which results in broken plastic arms, if these arms are broken then yes the sensors wont send the signals the onboard control module to the left of the steering column which inturn doesnt tell the lights to move, check the arms/sensors anyway as not beyond possibility they're faulty/broken.

So you can end up with the test mode on car startup still shows the up/down but when cars moving they wont adjust, which may/may not be your issue.

& the adaptives are spot on, one of best upgrades I installed tbh, love the way they follow the road now, but is funny as feck watching the test mode dance they do on startup huh Wizbit, lol hilarious as the headlight washers are

Nigel, you need to come up to Scotland to appreciate these lights! We got the roads, unless Italy keeps you there LOL

I already making plans for that invitation mate so roll out the beer carpet, lol

Wouldnt mind that little trek you showed me on the tube, looks cool & help me get fitter, bike rack arrives tuesday so be able to bring them up to mate