Xtron head unit

Stevemwhitaker

Reaction score
So I have a 2011 A3 with an rns-e nav plus. I bought an Android head unit that's supposed to be plug and play... It's not... The new harness quad lock fits but the other side that's supposed to fit in the factory quad lock isn't right. I've searched everywhere for an answer. And go figure xtrons customer service is in China.

Attachments

• C48FA5F9-3430-45DE-82C5-B451DB031B84.jpeg
    C48FA5F9-3430-45DE-82C5-B451DB031B84.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 335
  • A538B3E9-3504-433A-B733-62117AE64B75.jpeg
    A538B3E9-3504-433A-B733-62117AE64B75.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 8AE81A2E-D73C-4A0F-814F-9E0CBF4C6912.jpeg
    8AE81A2E-D73C-4A0F-814F-9E0CBF4C6912.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 16F33C4D-CE85-4087-92F4-FE9770495568.jpeg
    16F33C4D-CE85-4087-92F4-FE9770495568.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 385
The Blue and Green connectors can be removed from the plastic surround and plugged into the new loom.

can you link to the model you bought m8 and were from . most xtrons units come with 2 wiring harnesses . 1 iso and 1 quadlock .

eddo

its ok m8 i found it . you dont need to use the quadlok adapter. thats just for if your cars original wiring is iso . just plug you cars quadlock straight into the back of the unit .

eddo

Should be PNP with various harnesses, xtrons also has issues with interference with alternator whine, you maybe lucky, but it's often reported.

its ok m8 i found it . you dont need to use the quadlok adapter. thats just for if your cars original wiring is iso . just plug you cars quadlock straight into the back of the unit .

eddo

same as this man says, you don’t need that adaptor you just plug your cars quadlock connector straight into the back of the unit. Surely you’ve figured this out for yourself by now though!?

Reactions: EvilSmurph
same as this man says, you don’t need that adaptor you just plug your cars quadlock connector straight into the back of the unit. Surely you’ve figured this out for yourself by now though!?

I’ve figured out that you can plug the factory harness directly into the new unit but what about the 32 pin connector, amp wire, and the other harness that’s connected to the xtron via the red wire? Also alternator whine is crazy loud.....
f4460ad5dd8f56bb27519af2e7d8f8b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be totaly honest with you m8 that one looks to be not very good . no canbus box for a start so no steering wheel connection for your buttons to control volume / skip/ answer your phone / ect. where did you get it from ? .. bit more info please m8 . is your car equipped with the bose system or audi's own ? door speakers will have bose logo on if it is.

eddo

do you have speakers in the back doors and an amp and sub in the boot behind the side panel on the left?
do you have the mfsw steering wheel?

eddo

to be totaly honest with you m8 that one looks to be not very good . no canbus box for a start so no steering wheel connection for your buttons to control volume / skip/ answer your phone / ect. where did you get it from ? .. bit more info please m8 . is your equiped with the bose system or audi's own ? door speakers will have bose logo on if it is.

eddo

All my wheel controls work as advertised. I have the Bose system. got it from eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/303398821817

ok . maybe the newer models have canbus built in to the unit . are your amp and sub working ok and sound from rear door speakers?

eddo

just had a look at the link on ebay... canbus is built in my bad:whistle2:

eddo

the whining could just be a bad connection on the quadlock ive seen it before. take the quadlock out and check all the pins in the back of the unit are all straight . then when you plug the quadlock back in check none of the wires have pushed out of the back of the plugs in the quadlock ..

eddo

iso harness not needed m8 . the rca connector lead will only be used if you add a dashcam or you want to pre out to a seperate amp or add headrest monitors for video ect.

eddo

iso harness not needed m8 . the rca connector lead will only be used if you add a dashcam or you want to pre out to a seperate amp or add headrest monitors for video ect.

eddo

I’m trying to run a rear camera but the camera rca is in that harness

I’ve figured out that you can plug the factory harness directly into the new unit but what about the 32 pin connector, amp wire, and the other harness that’s connected to the xtron via the red wire? Also alternator whine is crazy loud.....
f4460ad5dd8f56bb27519af2e7d8f8b6.jpg

the amp wire etc are only to be used if your car doesn’t have quadlock and then you have to use the other harness and connect the amp wire etc.

So can I just clip the red wire and use the harness for the rear camera?

So can I just clip the red wire and use the harness for the rear camera?

not sure about that m8 . is there a wiring diagram with the unit that tells you what the red wire is for?
red is usually ignition live ACC .

looks like red wire is A2 in iso connector. So its ACC on wiring diagram

eddo

Last edited:
not sure about that m8 . is there a wiring diagram with the unit that tells you what the red wire is for?
red is usually permanent live for memory .

eddo

No I didn’t see anything. I’ll just pull it out of the aftermarket harness and see what happens

i would have thought there would be a separate harness for a reverse cam if you dont need the iso harness just the quadlock . but looking at the diagram the other harness looks like its just rca's for pre outs and a dashcam and video out. i would try separating the reverse cam harness from the iso one and give it a try . you can always rejoin the red wire if you need too.

looking at the pic with the the red wire going to the iso there is also a green wire that has campwr label on it so i would think it should work. unless the red wire is used as some sort of live return back to the unit to supply power to the reverse cam. i would assume the units canbus system would trigger the power to the reverse cam when you put the car in reverse ..

eddo

looking at the pic with the the red wire going to the iso there is also a green wire that has campwr label on it so i would think it should work. unless the red wire is used as some sort of live return back to the unit to supply power to the reverse cam. i would assume the units canbus system would trigger the power to the reverse cam when you put the car in reverse ..

eddo

Thanks!!! Guns give it a stab!! Anyone have the wiring schematics for the tail light/reverse lights? Going to see what me google can show me. Seriously though guys thanks a ton!!

Alright so on to new issues. Rear camera... head unit automatically switches into reverse using canbus. Attached red wire of rca to camera power. Lights come on camera when switch to reverse and head unit changes to show reverse lines, but no picture. The only thing I get is hazard symbol. Tried hooking to the power to the reverse light and attach that to the reverse wire on the unit... same. Everything changes just no picture. Any ideas?

Alright so on to new issues. Rear camera... head unit automatically switches into reverse using canbus. Attached red wire of rca to camera power. Lights come on camera when switch to reverse and head unit changes to show reverse lines, but no picture. The only thing I get is hazard symbol. Tried hooking to the power to the reverse light and attach that to the reverse wire on the unit... same. Everything changes just no picture. Any ideas?

I think there’s a setting somewhere in the unit that you have to change as I’m sure mine did the same thing even though I don’t have a reverse camera. I can’t remember if it’s somewhere in the settings though or if it’s in factory settings

I think there’s a setting somewhere in the unit that you have to change as I’m sure mine did the same thing even though I don’t have a reverse camera. I can’t remember if it’s somewhere in the settings though or if it’s in factory settings

Well I got into the factory setting (I found the password after about 1.62 million attempts 3368) the only thing I can see in factory setting is prohibit reverse.
83b764910722ea95fd64df7bc06edd61.jpg

Well I got into the factory setting (I found the password after about 1.62 million attempts 3368) the only thing I can see in factory setting is prohibit reverse.
83b764910722ea95fd64df7bc06edd61.jpg

Yes that’s it I think, you want to disable it.

Yes that’s it I think, you want to disable it.

I tried that but it doesn’t let the unit switch into reverse mode. Which is weird bc if prohibit reverse is enabled you would think it’s prohibiting it from going into reverse.....

Check for video in motion setting, it shouldn't affect the rear cam, but thinking outside the box, it could be this it it's just a simple wiring issue.

The whine needs isolators either in the speakers lines, amp/head unit ground path or in line with the alternator/battery, Google to find your best fix.

Check for video in motion setting, it shouldn't affect the rear cam, but thinking outside the box, it could be this it it's just a simple wiring issue.

The whine needs isolators either in the speakers lines, amp/head unit ground path or in line with the alternator/battery, Google to find your best fix.

The camera wiring is simple. I got 12 volts at the camera when in reverse. It has to be a buried setting. I’ve seen a few things but haven’t really found anything that’s a total fix. Most fixes I’ve found were it sounds somewhat better fixes.

The camera wiring is simple. I got 12 volts at the camera when in reverse. It has to be a buried setting. I’ve seen a few things but haven’t really found anything that’s a total fix. Most fixes I’ve found were it sounds somewhat better fixes.

Test the camera to another source, TV or pc with video input to suit, rules that out too.

Test the camera to another source, TV or pc with video input to suit, rules that out too.

Ok. I’ve got a front camera RCA I can try it on too. If not I’ll try it on the tv

are these units any good? or is the feedback noise absolute gash?

I tried that but it doesn’t let the unit switch into reverse mode. Which is weird bc if prohibit reverse is enabled you would think it’s prohibiting it from going into reverse.....

It’s definately because of a setting because mine did it when I first got my unit. Did you press apply and then reboot the unit after you changed it to disable? There’s also some reverse settings in car settings that can be changed.
In regards to the whine I sorted mine quite easily but yours is wired up totally different so I can’t really advise on that. What I will say though is in factory settings and other it says amp volume and yours is 0DB. If you change this to -6DB or -9DB i seem to remember that lowers the whine a bit.

It’s definately because of a setting because mine did it when I first got my unit. Did you press apply and then reboot the unit after you changed it to disable? There’s also some reverse settings in car settings that can be changed.
In regards to the whine I sorted mine quite easily but yours is wired up totally different so I can’t really advise on that. What I will say though is in factory settings and other it says amp volume and yours is 0DB. If you change this to -6DB or -9DB i seem to remember that lowers the whine a bit.

So I plugged in into the front cam av in and applied 12 volts from the tail lights and it’s getting power but the screen flickers green and pixelated. I think it’s a bad camera. I’m going to remove it and try it on my tv.

Amp -9 didn’t help Anything either.

Got the new camera in today! She works!! I knew I wasn’t crazy! Simple wiring
72e8481003e1768c74d71a5a29bec279.jpg

Got the new camera in today! She works!! I knew I wasn’t crazy! Simple wiring
72e8481003e1768c74d71a5a29bec279.jpg

looks well to be fair that.
I’d like to get one as it’s the only thing I don’t have on my Xtrons. What cabling is involved, is it just a case of running a cable from the xtrons unit To the camera or did you have to tap into the reverse light cabling aswell?
Have you got a link for the camera that you’re using?

looks well to be fair that.
I’d like to get one as it’s the only thing I don’t have on my Xtrons. What cabling is involved, is it just a case of running a cable from the xtrons unit To the camera or did you have to tap into the reverse light cabling aswell?
Have you got a link for the camera that you’re using?

Actually there is a reverse cam pwr wire on my unit. So it auto switches to reverse and applies 12VDC to the cam power wire.

You just have to get any ground by the camera and the head unit supplies power. Also I bought an adapter to use the factory GPS antenna.

XTRONS Car Rear View Reversing Backup Parking Camera 170° LED White Light Amazon product

Bingfu Fakra Z Male to SMA Male Vehicle Antenna Adapter Cable 30cm 12 inch for Car Stereo Android Head Unit GPS Navigation FM AM Radio Sirius XM Satellite Radio 4G LTE TEL Telematics Bluetooth Module Amazon product

3f10a799d8c1a3be9ebabaa1f19a6f51.jpg
bb65d82241378ef54ab5667ee3e520b9.jpg
d1098f8d4d83f3ea83bfc6723658a6a3.jpg
f681be630075e4854b5e43ba48ec5205.jpg
ab83617746fa5d8b3bff575f5dae64ee.jpg
106e746f1f2b8367e55832bee9f734f7.jpg

looking good m8 . are you going to get the DAB box to go with it . i have it here in the uk and its the dogs . the silly little stick on window aerials dont work very well though .

eddo

looking good m8 . are you going to get the DAB box to go with it . i have it here in the uk and its the dogs . the silly little stick on window aerials dont work very well though .

eddo

Unfortunately DAB isn’t used in the states.

Added a usb extension. was hoping it would have been flush with the spare buttons, but whatever. Now the only thing to tackle is the damn buzzing!!! Oh yeah anyone else have issues with the first volume detent being kinda loud? It’s either on normal listening level at 1 or off completely. I looked in the settings but no joy. Not a big deal really. Other than a few little things I REALLY like this head unit.

6a747a70704b57d5846c77698551805d.jpg