Xtrons PA77AA3P For Audi A3

SA95

Reaction score
Hi guys after debating between the Audi RNS and an Android one, I've decided to go the android route. I like the functionality of this one .

http://xtrons.co.uk/pa77aa3p-7-hd-d...dvd-player-custom-fit-for-audi-a3-s3-rs3.html

The split screen option so I can have music app and navigation side by side is ace. However I've noticed it's only quad core and not octa-core. Having read the forums, it seems that the android 5.0 quad-core were quite buggy but the octa-core versions were a lot better. Seems strange that they dont have a Android 7.1 Octa-Core but i'm guessing this version will be a lot less buggier than the older ones? Also, how well would this integrate in terms of steering wheel functionality and bose amps etc?

I'm currently breaking my head about this too, I was opting for the octa-core with android 6.0. I've been using google and youtube to get some insight, and it seems that other brands are using the "same" headunit aswel, which makes me doubt the quality/speed of these devices in general. (Autopumpkin, and some other chinese brands). I already own the latest gen RNS-E though, which makes me doubt even more, even though its out-dated and lacks functionality (bluetooth music streaming, spotify, etc).

I have this unit in my car. ****** brilliant. I used to have an Alpine W928S which I moved to my wife's SLK.

The octacore unit is fast. Very fast. The UI is light yrs ahead of the Alpine and that was top of the range 2 yrs ago. I've had my installer put on a B Sting DAB roof top aerial and bought the Dab+ usb. Don't listen to FM but the FM UI is gorgeous.

There will be a port to 7.1 at some point.

pm me if you want a chat

Reactions: S.
I am new to the site so this may be a trivial question to answer, BUT! Do you need to use VCDS to use all the features or is this just plug and play (apart from the pin 5 to pin 7 change for the bose system)

That looks nice ! Might get one for mine 3!

I have an octo core android 6 unit in my A3 that has Bose and it works fine (although there is a very very quiet bit of interference when volume isn't on) so you must not be connecting it right.
There is a forum called XDA which has a section for android headunits and you need to be on there if you need to know anything as there is way more info on there about sorting any bugs and updating them etc.

Mine is now running with Co Pilot sat nav, Bluetooth, Bluetooth a2dp streaming and DAB radio whilst also using steering wheel controls, so it's light years ahead of any Audi device. The only thing that doesn't work is it doesn't interact with the DIS display but this doesn't bother me.

I'd also say these aren't always totally plug and play, mine came with the wrong radio adaptor so I had to sort that and I've also had to update it to sort some bugs I had and also tweeted a few factory settings but now it's working 100%.
There is a lot more you can do with these units aswell like reverse cameras etc etc but I'm happy with what I've got mine doing at the moment.

Also you can't upgrade an android 6 unit to android 7 but there wouldn't really be any need to.

All units are practically the same aswell but just come from different Chinese sellers with different names. Some of them just look different but they all can be updated to have any of the user interfaces that you prefer.

Hope this helps.

I have an octo core android 6 unit in my A3 that has Bose and it works fine (although there is a very very quiet bit of interference when volume isn't on) so you must not be connecting it right.
There is a forum called XDA which has a section for android headunits and you need to be on there if you need to know anything as there is way more info on there about sorting any bugs and updating them etc.

Mine is now running with Co Pilot sat nav, Bluetooth, Bluetooth a2dp streaming and DAB radio whilst also using steering wheel controls, so it's light years ahead of any Audi device. The only thing that doesn't work is it doesn't interact with the DIS display but this doesn't bother me.

I'd also say these aren't always totally plug and play, mine came with the wrong radio adaptor so I had to sort that and I've also had to update it to sort some bugs I had and also tweeted a few factory settings but now it's working 100%.
There is a lot more you can do with these units aswell like reverse cameras etc etc but I'm happy with what I've got mine doing at the moment.

Also you can't upgrade an android 6 unit to android 7 but there wouldn't really be any need to.

All units are practically the same aswell but just come from different Chinese sellers with different names. Some of them just look different but they all can be updated to have any of the user interfaces that you prefer.

Hope this helps.

the main issue as at now is the lack of bass. i think we may just have differing expectations/levels of perception with regard to sound.

i've had brief scan on XDA but it seems everyone these is using the older units <7 re root viper4 etc.. but then i'm doing multiple things at once (bulbs, stereo, tpms, reverse cam, dvr cam, dab+) and having problems with some of these so am a bit stretched and flitting between tasks as i can progress them. unfortunately (save for bulbs) they all converge as a whole. the biggest issue for me is trying to get wires (cams) into the right places without it looking amateur/nasty/ruined.

it would have just been nice if, given i have the right wires, when i unplugged the RNS-E and plugged in the new unit the sound was the same.

the main issue as at now is the lack of bass. i think we may just have differing expectations/levels of perception with regard to sound.

i've had brief scan on XDA but it seems everyone these is using the older units <7 re root viper4 etc.. but then i'm doing multiple things at once (bulbs, stereo, tpms, reverse cam, dvr cam, dab+) and having problems with some of these so am a bit stretched and flitting between tasks as i can progress them. unfortunately (save for bulbs) they all converge as a whole. the biggest issue for me is trying to get wires (cams) into the right places without it looking amateur/nasty/ruined.

it would have just been nice if, given i have the right wires, when i unplugged the RNS-E and plugged in the new unit the sound was the same.

There's a few things you could try then.
In settings I think it says amplifier where you can change the sound settings and change the front to rear fader etc so have a play around with them.
Also in factory settings there is a section on mine called 'voice' where you can adjust the volume of the actual head unit itself so it might be worth increasing some of those settings to see if it improves.
Also in a different part of factory settings I think it's 'other' there is an amplifier category where you can change the output of the amp which in your case would be the bose amp so have a play around with that aswell. I'm sure just by tweeking some settings you'll get it where you want it.

Reactions: Ike
thanks, will dig into factory settings and i see what i can get there. tbh, i thought 'factory settings' would be return to default settings, so that is useful info.

tried the 'amplifier' settings, the best of of which seems to be 'rock'. that's still super-weak. hopefully between noise-filters and factory settings i'll see some improvement. otherwise it'll be burger king sound-off mod time...

thanks, will dig into factory settings and i see what i can get there. tbh, i thought 'factory settings' would be return to default settings, so that is useful info.

tried the 'amplifier' settings, the best of of which seems to be 'rock'. that's still super-weak. hopefully between noise-filters and factory settings i'll see some improvement. otherwise it'll be burger king sound-off mod time...

Have a look at the viper4android app from the play store, you're bound to get an eq set-up you're happy with

Noise filters/suppressors/isolator don't help at all. That could explain the lack of bass. Try it without them in

need to get root before viper4, have it installed but it does nothing without root

i don't have any filters on it now just the loom that came with the unit. after i played with the EQ a bit, it's not that there is zero bass per se. but if bass were speed, the rns-e would be like an S3, whereas new unit is like a 1.9 tdi with a disconnected turbo in limp mode.

I found that the spotify app's eq works somewhat well (note that you must restart/change the song for the changes to be implemented)

trying to install xtrons pa77aa3p android unit (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Android-7...PS-SAT-NAV-DAB-4G-for-Audi-A3-S3/192287247686) at the moment. the supplier said this was for bose system yet bose is not working, zero bass. other first round issues include no bluetooth streaming, though phone functionality works ok. not even got any further yet as no bose = no way.

any help would be much appreciated!

Did you ever sort this problem with the bass and the xtrons unit? I went in my friends audi and he has a standard system and his bass was miles better than mine so I did a bit of searching and found why my sound was poor.

Did you ever sort this problem with the bass and the xtrons unit? I went in my friends audi and he has a standard system and his bass was miles better than mine so I did a bit of searching and found why my sound was poor.

kinda - yeah, not done a side-by-side test but with viper things are much improved. if you have one of these units then a pre-requisite is to have a custom rom install, so you get root and can get viper (if not in rom image anyway). i still need to get round to installing the noise filter i bought, not a massive problem (only really any *slight* noise when volume off) but would be nice to do and have heard it improves audio too.

for my unit there's a dude called Malaysk on XDA forums who has released a couple of versions of custom rom for the unit i have.

there was some guy asking about this unit before... i can now provide more of an update; the unit is fine with custom rom + viper (as i remember rns-e with my bose setup). dab usb stick sucks ***, not worthwhile imo though may try a non-free aerial... reverse cam is nice but occasionally blanks out (but sensors in my number plate mount work fine always), not been able to ascertain root cause yet. latest release of the rom i am using breaks dashcam but worked in the previous version. tpms works ok but is quite expensive for what it is and is a ballache when adding air to tyres. wifi was a pain to connect on previous rom version (unlock phone open hotspot setting, goto wifi on headunit and scan), only just installed new version so not sure if sorted/different. satnav is a million times better than rns-e (i use sygic - purchased). being android, spotify and custom audio apps work well.

Reactions: S.
kinda - yeah, not done a side-by-side test but with viper things are much improved. if you have one of these units then a pre-requisite is to have a custom rom install, so you get root and can get viper (if not in rom image anyway). i still need to get round to installing the noise filter i bought, not a massive problem (only really any *slight* noise when volume off) but would be nice to do and have heard it improves audio too.

for my unit there's a dude called Malaysk on XDA forums who has released a couple of versions of custom rom for the unit i have.

there was some guy asking about this unit before... i can now provide more of an update; the unit is fine with custom rom + viper (as i remember rns-e with my bose setup). dab usb stick sucks ***, not worthwhile imo though may try a non-free aerial... reverse cam is nice but occasionally blanks out (but sensors in my number plate mount work fine always), not been able to ascertain root cause yet. latest release of the rom i am using breaks dashcam but worked in the previous version. tpms works ok but is quite expensive for what it is and is a ballache when adding air to tyres. wifi was a pain to connect on previous rom version (unlock phone open hotspot setting, goto wifi on headunit and scan), only just installed new version so not sure if sorted/different. satnav is a million times better than rns-e (i use sygic - purchased). being android, spotify and custom audio apps work well.

Ok just a question about how you connected your speakers then. The loom that comes with the unit that plugs into the cars quadlock connector has red and white rca male connectors for speakers and also a blue amp connection cable, the speaker loom that plugs into your head unit will have red and white female rca connectors, did this loom also have a blue amp connection cable on it aswell? If so you are supposed to connect these 2 together to turn the bose amp on but on the older models like mine as mine is android 6 they don't have the blue wire on the speaker loom so the bose amp doesn't activate properly if at all hence the poor sound. I bought an adaptor that is mentioned in the android thread on the i.c.e section of this forum and I have connected that back up again now and now my bass etc is much better and louder as this adaptor has the blue cable which I have connected and is now supplying power to the bose amp and my sound is way better now with no noise(mine was like yours with a little whine on very low volume and poor bass).

I'm not running malaysk rom I'm just using a gs rom and my unit isn't rooted but everything is working spot on. My wifi is decent, I can sit on my drive and connect to my wifi in the house, sat nav is good( I use co pilot) and everything else like Bluetooth etc is fine but I don't use any cameras or Parking sensors etc.
Regarding dab have you got the modded dab app which is way better? Dab is mainly rubbish because of the reception of the supplied antennas. you need to get the antenna they supply as high as possible on the windscreen but if your windscreen is like mine it will have a factory tinted strip all way across the top of the windscreen so the top of the antenna has to be below this tint. Also make sure the copper ground strip is connected to bare metal instead of painted metal as it will get a better ground connection. If it's still rubbish you can buy better glass antennas, I've bought an alpine amplified glass antenna but I've not got round to fitting it yet. If this doesn't improve things the only other option is to fit a roof antenna which will be a lot better reception but then you've got to fit it and then run the cables etc.

reverse cam is nice but occasionally blanks out (but sensors in my number plate mount work fine always), not been able to ascertain root cause yet.

My installer had this issue too. Not enough power coming from the head unit to fire it up. Has seen it with other car cameras. He wired in a relay taking power from the battery triggered by the reversing light (I think).

Dab is mainly rubbish because of the reception of the supplied antennas. you need to get the antenna they supply as high as possible on the windscreen but if your windscreen is like mine it will have a factory tinted strip all way across the top of the windscreen so the top of the antenna has to be below this tint.

My installer fitted a DAB roof aerial. Admittedly I do live in a city where reception is good but get 5 bars (ie full strength) with no drop out when going about the city. The modded Dab App by Realzoulou is worth installing:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...b-app-realzoulous-modded-version-com-t3609608

Ok just a question about how you connected your speakers then. The loom that comes with the unit that plugs into the cars quadlock connector has red and white rca male connectors for speakers and also a blue amp connection cable, the speaker loom that plugs into your head unit will have red and white female rca connectors, did this loom also have a blue amp connection cable on it aswell? If so you are supposed to connect these 2 together to turn the bose amp on but on the older models like mine as mine is android 6 they don't have the blue wire on the speaker loom so the bose amp doesn't activate properly if at all hence the poor sound. I bought an adaptor that is mentioned in the android thread on the i.c.e section of this forum and I have connected that back up again now and now my bass etc is much better and louder as this adaptor has the blue cable which I have connected and is now supplying power to the bose amp and my sound is way better now with no noise(mine was like yours with a little whine on very low volume and poor bass).

I'm not running malaysk rom I'm just using a gs rom and my unit isn't rooted but everything is working spot on. My wifi is decent, I can sit on my drive and connect to my wifi in the house, sat nav is good( I use co pilot) and everything else like Bluetooth etc is fine but I don't use any cameras or Parking sensors etc.
Regarding dab have you got the modded dab app which is way better? Dab is mainly rubbish because of the reception of the supplied antennas. you need to get the antenna they supply as high as possible on the windscreen but if your windscreen is like mine it will have a factory tinted strip all way across the top of the windscreen so the top of the antenna has to be below this tint. Also make sure the copper ground strip is connected to bare metal instead of painted metal as it will get a better ground connection. If it's still rubbish you can buy better glass antennas, I've bought an alpine amplified glass antenna but I've not got round to fitting it yet. If this doesn't improve things the only other option is to fit a roof antenna which will be a lot better reception but then you've got to fit it and then run the cables etc.

my unit came with two harnesses, one marked A3 (standard ISO block - useless) and one marked A4 (quadlock). my quadlock had RCAs and amp cable but iirc they just connected round to the unit interface from the quadlock part. some strange loopback implementation. not sure of the point tbh. before custom rom/viper install i queried with the seller and they sent me another cable, not a quadlock and not sure what i did with it at the moment but was confused about how it was meant to help... at the time i thought it was probably for the iso block type cable they supplied with the unit.

Also @SpeedFerret - i had the zulu version of the dab app only the previous rom version it was ok, didn't seem that different to me. the real issue is with lack of reception and the ensuing brain frying noises that produces!

good to know about lack of power issue being 'common' with the reverse cams/HU power feed level. i was going to use the reverse light for a power relay as had done that before but is a PITA with the S3 hatch.

re dab aerial; i was going to use a FM aerial converter for dab signal, have done that before with good results but i read that the S3 aerial is amplified and those connectors do not work with amplified signals. not sure if my FM aerial is standard or not, i have a shark fin on my roof but it is black rather than body colour... the FM signal is also poor compared to my A4. if someone can advise on that it would be helpful. otherwise i may just try another glass mount aerial, with the current one the copper is on painted metal A-frame at the moment... guess i'd have to sand that off a bit. i also put it as high as possible but being under the factory tint strip.

my unit came with two harnesses, one marked A3 (standard ISO block - useless) and one marked A4 (quadlock). my quadlock had RCAs and amp cable but iirc they just connected round to the unit interface from the quadlock part. some strange loopback implementation. not sure of the point tbh. before custom rom/viper install i queried with the seller and they sent me another cable, not a quadlock and not sure what i did with it at the moment but was confused about how it was meant to help... at the time i thought it was probably for the iso block type cable they supplied with the unit.

Also @SpeedFerret - i had the zulu version of the dab app only the previous rom version it was ok, didn't seem that different to me. the real issue is with lack of reception and the ensuing brain frying noises that produces!

good to know about lack of power issue being 'common' with the reverse cams/HU power feed level. i was going to use the reverse light for a power relay as had done that before but is a PITA with the S3 hatch.

re dab aerial; i was going to use a FM aerial converter for dab signal, have done that before with good results but i read that the S3 aerial is amplified and those connectors do not work with amplified signals. not sure if my FM aerial is standard or not, i have a shark fin on my roof but it is black rather than body colour... the FM signal is also poor compared to my A4. if someone can advise on that it would be helpful. otherwise i may just try another glass mount aerial, with the current one the copper is on painted metal A-frame at the moment... guess i'd have to sand that off a bit. i also put it as high as possible but being under the factory tint strip.

Yeah that's right with the speakers, so what I meant were did you join the 2 blue amp cables together as that then gives power to your bose amp? If you look in the description on that link you uploaded a while back of the unit youve bought the 2 blue amp wires are labelled. If you haven't connected them that is why the sound wouldn't have been as good.
Regarding dab and fm etc you can't use a splitter for the dab as your current antenna is amplified the amplifier doesn't let the dab signals through, I tried it and it doesn't work. Your only option is to try and find a decent glass mount antenna or fit a roof antenna for dab.

Yeah that's right with the speakers, so what I meant were did you join the 2 blue amp cables together as that then gives power to your bose amp? If you look in the description on that link you uploaded a while back of the unit youve bought the 2 blue amp wires are labelled. If you haven't connected them that is why the sound wouldn't have been as good.
Regarding dab and fm etc you can't use a splitter for the dab as your current antenna is amplified the amplifier doesn't let the dab signals through, I tried it and it doesn't work. Your only option is to try and find a decent glass mount antenna or fit a roof antenna for dab.

the blue amp cables were either already joined or i joined them when looking at the harness(es) prior to install.

yeah, gonna try another glass mount aerial at some point, cheers.