Yet another Audi Stolen

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
An RS5 was broken into and taken using these latest hi tech methods last week,just around the corner from me in Coventry.
The police did manage to find the car but it was stripped into parts and on pallets ready to go.

They haven't divulged that,it is not even in the news yet

To strip a car down to pallet size chunks must mean the took a couple of days to find it ...no?

To strip a car down to pallet size chunks must mean they took a couple of days to find it ...no?
If you were a team of trained mechanics no,it would be the time taken for the hardest part to strip engine/dashboard ?
Do not know the timeline.

Some kid in my gym the other day was on about an iPhone app that scans frequency s and stores them can open cars or electric gates..... That's just wrong IMO! Stuff should be illegal. Surely he would have a tracker on an rs5 ?.

anyway the point is they are scum and I would be gutted if it was my motor.

Reactions: voorhees
Some kid in my gym the other day was on about an iPhone app that scans frequency s and stores them can open cars or electric gates..... That's just wrong IMO! Stuff should be illegal. Surely he would have a tracker on an rs5 ?.

anyway the point is they are scum and I would be gutted if it was my motor.

I'm not sure I'd believe that! The iPhone has a few radios, but they're all presets and can't be adjusted to work on anything other than the frequencies intended.. Unless it's a Jailbreak App.

It's a legal requirement to prevent Joe Public scanning military, emergency & other transmissions at will. Jeez, Alkie Weeda could have a field day with that ability.

Scumbags.

Surely something like APR or Shark's anti-theft feature would be a wise investment.

I heard from a reliable source that models fitted with the BCM2 immobiliser are vulnerable. Fortunately the 8P isn't one of them.

I'm not sure I'd believe that! The iPhone has a few radios, but they're all presets and can't be adjusted to work on anything other than the frequencies intended.. Unless it's a Jailbreak App.

It's a legal requirement to prevent Joe Public scanning military, emergency & other transmissions at will. Jeez, Alkie Weeda could have a field day with that ability.

bojax mate, I can take you to a army surplus store in Nottingham that will sell you old military radio equipment and scanners for couple hundred quid. But yeh I would assume its jail broken app or android I wasn't really listening too much to him as I'm not a criminal or interested in opening people electric gates. In fact on the subject when my dad lost the blipper to his electric garages they opened it with a scanner I was there he just sat there and let his handheld gizmo do the work.

If you know any AA or RAC staff ask them how easy it is to break into a car , they get trained on it because of the amount of people who lock there keys in cars by accident or in the boot.

Sean

The thing is if they want a car bad enough, no matter what security you have the b******s will take it.

I'm fairly sure even jailbroken an iPhone wouldn't be capable of cloning a keyfob. There are apps that can open gates etc. but usually because the gate has a bluetooth or wifi connection.

Reading these threads concerns me!

Guy at uni can start his car with his iPhone, so I'm sure other people can too? App was called viper something, but he paid a fair bit to get it fitted to his car

I haven't looked it up but I am pretty sure it would use an SMS to achieve this or a phone call. If it's proximity then I would imagine it must be Bluetooth, I am almost certain the iPhone will not be able to broadcast IR or similar as it doesn't have that hardware built in (part of my job as an IT consultant is repairing iPhones, iPads and other phones).

With the technology around I would not be surprised if it can be done,everyone thought you need a key to start the car but now we are hearing of machines cloning them without the key.

Buy an aftermarket alarm with a loud siren and put pentagon glass all round but if the thieves really want the car you would need an armed guard to stop them.

Cloning a wireless signal isn't particularly hard with the right kit but as someone alluded to earlier in this thread the iphone doesn't have the right antennas to read the signal but other handheld kit does.

Just looked up the viper and as expected it uses cellular/wifi data to communicate with the car so it's not proximity, it can be remote.