yet another warranty question. sorry!

quattrorally

Reaction score
if I get pads and brakes done from an indy using non Audi parts will it effect my warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually a good question and i don't know the answer. As they are items of "wear and tear" i wonder if it matters? for instance, i know a lot of people that like to change the pads and discs themselves as its an easy job. Wonder if that invalidates the warranty? I think most people will advise you to use an approved Audy indy garage....

I would think it would probably cause a problem, particularly if you had a problem with the brakes.
How many years/miles on it to need new brakes. Or is it under extended warranty.
Either way I wouldn’t think it’s worth it.

Just had a look at the terms and conditions of the Audi 3 year warranty, and as I read it you would be ok unless the parts fitted caused the failure. The relevant exclusion wording seems to be:

• Damage or defects as a result of repairs or incorrect installation of parts or accessories by an unauthorised workshop.
• Damage or defects as a result of the installation of parts, components, software or accessories not authorised by Audi UK

The overriding condition is that the car must be regularly serviced according to the Audi schedule, using approved materials. There is no obligation to use an Audi dealer, but in the event of a claim you might be required to provide evidence that the Audi procedures were followed and approved materials were used. Not a problem if you keep your detailed Indy invoice, but harder if you DIY.

Reactions: quattrorally and Phutters
If you buy Audi OEM parts, and have them fitted by an independent garage, then it will not affect your warranty.

You can get discounted OEM pricing using the parts request form (see tab, top of the page)

It may or it may not. If you have a problem with a calliper for example, and you tell them that work was done at an independant garage then the dealer may turn around and say it was the garages fault.

Example:

I asked my dealership to check the linkage on mine since it has trouble going into 5th sometimes. It had been like that from when I bought it 6 months earlier. Dealership said that because of the aftermarket clutch I had fitted by another garage they must have caused it. Despite me saying it existed before the clutch change they couldnt be ***** to look.

Not to mention the rogue engine bolt which somehow got into the head via the oil filler cap and trashed the exhaust camshaft, which they also blamed on the clutch change people despite the evidence I had which showed the symptoms also existed before the clutch change work.

This is the kind of **** you have to put up with when you get work done elsewhere during the warranty period. Incidentally, the cam shaft repair work cost me 3 grand when it should have been done for free by the garage.

Your call.

Reactions: wab172uk
It may or it may not. If you have a problem with a calliper for example, and you tell them that work was done at an independant garage then the dealer may turn around and say it was the garages fault.

Example:

I asked my dealership to check the linkage on mine since it has trouble going into 5th sometimes. It had been like that from when I bought it 6 months earlier. Dealership said that because of the aftermarket clutch I had fitted by another garage they must have caused it. Despite me saying it existed before the clutch change they couldnt be ***** to look.

Not to mention the rogue engine bolt which somehow got into the head via the oil filler cap and trashed the exhaust camshaft, which they also blamed on the clutch change people despite the evidence I had which showed the symptoms also existed before the clutch change work.

This is the kind of **** you have to put up with when you get work done elsewhere during the warranty period. Incidentally, the cam shaft repair work cost me 3 grand when it should have been done for free by the garage.

Your call.

That's bad customer service from your dealer. You must have been fuming?

Just a bit. blame blame blame. That's all you get with these effin people

That said. The repair bill actually came to 6 grand but they "only" charged me half. 2 weeks after getting the car back the CAT then packed up as a result of the previous bad running. The dealer covered this in full, NOT the warranty who said it was caused by the camshaft problem and refused to pay out.
I suspect the dealer did this because I told them I would be taking them to court. After much deliberation and advice I decided it would be a lot of work and not convinced the court would award me an out right win, more likely 50/50 for which the dealer had already gone beyond that anyway (I paid 3 grand of what was a total closer to 7.5 grand for all the work)

Reactions: wab172uk
Just a bit. blame blame blame. That's all you get with these effin people

That said. The repair bill actually came to 6 grand but they "only" charged me half. 2 weeks after getting the car back the CAT then packed up as a result of the previous bad running. The dealer covered this in full, NOT the warranty who said it was caused by the camshaft problem and refused to pay out.
I suspect the dealer did this because I told them I would be taking them to court. After much deliberation and advice I decided it would be a lot of work and not convinced the court would award me an out right win, more likely 50/50 for which the dealer had already gone beyond that anyway (I paid 3 grand of what was a total closer to 7.5 grand for all the work)

Guess you won't be using that dealership again then?