You can fit a towbar to a RS4 B7

jonwitts

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got my B7 back in July and missed the ability to carry my mountain bike on the rear of the car. Last weekend i drove to wales and got so naffed off with wind noise from roof rack decided to see if a normal A4 Avant towbar would fit.

Simple answer is YES it fits.

From what i can gather is its illegal for me to tow a trailer as the RS4 was never type approved for towing. However this does not stop me from using the towbar for non towing applications ie towbar mounted bike carrier.

As you will see from the picks i did have to cut the towbar a tiny amount (well a fair bit underneath but only a small amount visable).

The towbar was from Towequipe along with the A4 specific Westfalia electrics which plug into the wiring loom. Took about 6 hrs to fit all in.

Attached are some pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks great mate, good job done! Shocked that a Nomad doesn't fit in the car though, or do you not want it in there after a ride? Did you try dropping the seat, rear wheel out and slacken the stem? Or if the forks are travel adjust (can't tell from the pic if they're Talas or Vanilla's), then it's should just be a stem slacken , pedals off and it's in. It's still a rear seats down job though, which isn't what I expected the first time I tried to get a bike in an A4 avant.

Anyway it looks like a good solution that keeps the car clean too and probably allows you to get more than two of you in the car at once :respekt:

Hi Marc

Yes it does fit in the car if its just me - although with the pending winter riding i do not want to trash the inside of the car. I have a dirtworker which will clean it post ride but then i have a wet bike in the car.

I also do a fair few trips away with a bunch of mates. At least i can carry three guys, with bike and kit. Roll on the alps next July !

Thought that might be the case, I wouldn't want to get the interior of an rs4 dirty either. Lucky mates too.

Went to Morzine in 2007, it was great, there are so many great places to ride both locally and just a few ski lifts away. Enjoy. :icon_thumright:

Be careful with towing as you may find your insurance could be void. The RS4 is deemed by Audi as a car that can't tow (like the B6 S4) despite the fact it phyisically can. Audi have always said it's due to the additional cooling that would be required and there's not enough space in the engine bay to implement it.

People have been fitting them for years and I've not heard of any problems but I just thought I'd mention it as it could be an issue if you're unfortunate enough to have the insurers involved.

Superb news for me! Need to tow a couple of times a year but like the car too much to change it. What make etc of towbar is it? There more details i can get the better! Thanks.

Hi JC

I just bought the Westfalia swan neck removable towbar for an B7 A4. The only mod i had to do was cut a small notch out of the bumper and lengthen the bracket for the electrics.

I also bought the Audi specific wiring loom that will turn off the rear parking when something fitted etc. BUT that needs configuring in the software which so far i have not cracked. The garage can't do it as their machine as "no" to an RS4 and towbar. I need to blag a go with a VAGCOM to see if that works. Save your money and just get a relay.

Jon

Hi jonwitts

Looking to fit exactly this set up. Can I confirm that this is just a standard Westfalia swan neck, designed for regular B7 A4? i.e. this kit: a4-avant-estate-2004-2008-detachable-tow-bar

In your first post on here you say you only had to cut the towbar slightly. I guess you really mean the bumper slightly?

Hi Two_Stripes.

You are right, cut the bumper slightly - cutting the towbar would not be a good idea !!!. And yes that does look like the one i bought.

Figured that's what you meant! Thanks very much for the info, want to fit exactly the same bike carrier

Its a good bike rack, stable at 140mph with 3 bikes on the way to the alps !!!

Ordered same kit, should be here tomorrow. Hoping to fit it tomorrow too.
Any pictures of how/where you had to lengthen the bracket for the electrics, does this mean so that it sits lower (i.e. closer to the ground) or so it swings further rearward?

Hi Two_stripes

Good luck with install. i'm in the usa with the family this week and next so i can't send you any pics etc. You will easily see what i mean about the electric socket, it sits too high under the bumper to get to it. I just made a short bracket that folds down to use the socket and i then just push it up to hide the socket when not in use.

Good luck - i'm off to ride so roller coasters !!

Jon

Tanks for info, I thought the plug was on a folding bracket? Have you added a completely new bracket or does your bracket fold down and then the OEM one fold down again?
turns out pfjones didn't process my order yesterday, so hoping it comes tomorrow.

OK, all fitted. See what you mean about having to lengthen the bracket. All wired in and working, went for the vehicle specific wiring kit. Got to get the computer programmed now but what exactly are they programming for?

I think it tells the computer that a trailer is connected so doesn't sound the parking sensors, is that correct? Does it somehow 'sense' that a trailer electrics are plugged in and so only overrides the sensors in that instance, and they work normally with no trailer?

The programming enables the extra light on the dash when indicating and there is also a trailer setting in the ESP ecu as well. It also extends the auto bulb checking as well

Last edited:
I have a Euroclassic thule bike carrier. Has anyone else found that they can move when clamped? It won't tip backwards but it will 'swing' slightly side to side

Put the same set up on my b7 avant quattro works great,had 3 full sus bikes on no problem,only issue with the rack is the extra lock to lock it on to the towbar is made of plastic wtf what a waste of time you could hit it off easily.Nice bike i have a 09 heckler beefed up with 36 vans,hope motos etc.We were in lesget 07 so wet there.lol.