Young driver insurance - Northern Ireland

Statler

Old enough to know better
Reaction score
Insurance Experts...

My eldest turns 17 mid-July.
I've just ordered a new A5 and he will get his own car to start building up his own NCB.

I plan to trade my current car in for something he can insure. I'll put it in my name initially and when the Audi turns up in August, I'll transfer it over to him, he'll be registered keeper and insurer. He hopes to have his full licence by that stage.

The big problem is finding something he will get insurance for, currently we're looking at a 2011 Fiesta Edge 1.25 with 59hp, new group 6, which appears to be chaper to insure here in NI than a Citroen C1/107/Aygo.

He likes the Fiesta, also Corsa 1.2 ecoflex and the pre-2009 Seat Ibiza 1.2 Reference.

I don't know if it's worth going older or newer or what, this all seems to be a bit of a lottery. Online quotes so far range from £2,500 to £6,500 for the Fiesta.

The car will be locked in a gated compound at night and I'd like to keep him under 8000 miles a year, communting to/from school.

Could those of you who cover Northern Ireland AND young drivers advise me on what I should be looking for in a car and maybe suggest a policy?

TIA
S

Only thing I can offer is avoid all the cars he's listed as they are common youngsters cars and as a result have high numbers of claims against them with young drivers. I would be looking at something as un cool as possible like a Fiat Sceicento, once he gets NCB under his belt he can buy what he likes. Fact you're in Ireland means your premium will be interesting to say the least regardless :(