Your gas and elec bill this winter

amit87

Reaction score
Hi guys, just curious, how much was your elec and gas bill this winter? I just got my bill from british gas and its £635 combined from early Nov to early Feb!!! (quarterly)! Shocking! had a heart attack! lol

Hi guys, just curious, how much was your elec and gas bill this winter? I just got my bill from british gas and its £635 combined from early Nov to early Feb!!! (quarterly)! Shocking! had a heart attack! lol

Are you heating a castle? I would be getting them out to check the meter? Thats about 3/4 of a yearly bill, not for one billing period. :) x

pay mine on a monthly dd at £188 pm.
im on fixed rate till june(dreading it ending)

I pay £80 a month and they just told me I was due a refund of £320.

Layers chaps, layers.

I pay £80 a month and they just told me I was due a refund of £320.

Layers chaps, layers.

They will learn Mark. If your cold, get up and be more active, lol. :) x

I thought my £83 a month average since last april, up untill last week, was bad with only electric into the house!

lol my house is no way near a castle... might have to give them a ring! worked out annually my bill is around £2000!!! I dont live in a huge house either... I have seen my neighbour drive round in a RS4... maybe they are tapping into my supplies :D haha.

British Gas will be getting a call tomorrow!!

lol my house is no way near a castle... might have to give them a ring! worked out annually my bill is around £2000!!! I dont live in a huge house either... I have seen my neighbour drive round in a RS4... maybe they are tapping into my supplies :D haha.

British Gas will be getting a call tomorrow!!

I think your meter needs to be checked out. Bills are high enough with the ever increasing price of gas/electricity, last thing you need is if your meter is not right. Let us know how you get on. :) x

I pay £50 a month for both gas and elec on a 15 year old 3 bed semi. Thermostat is set at 16 degrees, heating is on 4 hours a day 6pm - 10pm. When it gets cold, I put another layer on.

I pay £50 a month for both gas and elec on a 15 year old 3 bed semi. Thermostat is set at 16 degrees, heating is on 4 hours a day 6pm - 10pm. When it gets cold, I put another layer on.

I pay about double that, but have two youngsters and a hundred year old house so the heating is usually cranked to about 19 most of the time. Before the kids we would always have the house cold and layer up, but you feel kind of guilty when the kids start to shiver!

Is your loft insulated, cavity walls insulated? Any drafts sorted? Double glazing?

How old is your boiler? Has it been serviced lately and checked to be using the right amount of gas? Do your radiators heat up quickly and are without cold spots? If the system is sludged efficiency is massively decreased. If you have a hot water cylinder is it adequately insulated? In rooms you arent using, turn off the radiators. Check to physically see if your boiler actually turns off when its supposed to. Faulty valves can keep a boiler firing even when its not meant to. If the boiler is a combi, and has a eco mode, use it! Turn off any pre-heat functions.

635 for the quarter is about the norm for many average sized homes. Went to one massive old house, lady told me her bill for the quarter was 2k.

ahhh I hope you are right, I might just ring them just incase. Boiler is around 10years old I think and we have double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation.

Our heating starts at 5am to 9am and them 6pm to 10pm. It is set to around 21to22degrees (recognized comfortable about, even aircraft air conditioning set to 22deg).

maybe this is normal than?!

how do you guys survive with heating on 15deg?! you would need thermal socks and gloves and a dam balaclava on! lol.

I pay £70 a month and that includes phone and internet, plus they still owe us money lol.

Our house is between 3 others so that might help.

I pay £30 a month for leckie............Using NVG keeps the costs down.....lol. We have oil central heating which gets topped up roughly every 15 months. Last top up cost me £650.

3 bed semi for us,1930s house and I pay 40pm for leckie and 80pm for gas. We do have a little one though. Have double glazing, gas central heating, no carpets, loft insulation and solid walls so no cavity insulation. We normally have it on 6am - 8am then 3pm - midnight, prices are ridiculous tho as when we moved into the house 8 years ago,just the 2 of us it was 12pm for leckie and 15pm for gas!!

I pay about double that, but have two youngsters and a hundred year old house so the heating is usually cranked to about 19 most of the time. Before the kids we would always have the house cold and layer up, but you feel kind of guilty when the kids start to shiver!

ahhh I hope you are right, I might just ring them just incase. Boiler is around 10years old I think and we have double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation.

Our heating starts at 5am to 9am and them 6pm to 10pm. It is set to around 21to22degrees (recognized comfortable about, even aircraft air conditioning set to 22deg).

maybe this is normal than?!

how do you guys survive with heating on 15deg?! you would need thermal socks and gloves and a dam balaclava on! lol.

Well the answer to the second quote is in the first quote. When I grew up, my parents didn't feel guilty and crank the heating up. They told us to put more clothes on.