Your S3 Purchase - Head or Heart purchase?

Head or Heart Purchase

• Head

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Heart

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
'Getting bored' of it would be a heart decision as well. I don't buy performance is a pre-requisite, not by a long shot!

I personally couldn't care less what you buy or don't buy, nor do I understand why it's so hard to understand or accept that someone might find the S3 a very normal day to day, sensible option for a car, nor why it concerns you.

I'm out of this one, seems people who have never met me or know anything about me claim to know more about things in my own life than I do myself.............getting a bit strange........

Last edited:
It doesn't concern me. But you put it on a public forum, you should expect a bit of discussion about it! If you have some medical condition which means you have to do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds or something (I've not heard of it but it's the only thing I can think you mean), then fine - but you don't have to put it online... Or perhaps it's just a good old bit of purchase justification syndrome?

My 2.0TDI I consider quite a lot of a 'head' decision, but I know full well it's not 100%, or I would have got a used, much cheaper car without all the gadgets I have now, or at least got the 1.6TDI.

Someone's "head" decision is another persons "heart" decision and vice versa. I'm guessing the thread was started as a light hearted discussion for fellow S3 owners to put forward their views

Reactions: PilotAudi
Someone's "head" decision is another persons "heart" decision and vice versa. I'm guessing the thread was started as a light hearted discussion for fellow S3 owners to put forward their views

Agree with this. As I've said it's all about how you are placed and what you want that defines your thought process.
I'm the first to own up to a heart purchase, I've made a couple in the last few months. The S3 ain't one of them though and I definitely don't have to justify that purchase.

Reactions: kenny_boon
It doesn't concern me. But you put it on a public forum, you should expect a bit of discussion about it! If you have some medical condition which means you have to do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds or something (I've not heard of it but it's the only thing I can think you mean), then fine - but you don't have to put it online... Or perhaps it's just a good old bit of purchase justification syndrome?

My 2.0TDI I consider quite a lot of a 'head' decision, but I know full well it's not 100%, or I would have got a used, much cheaper car without all the gadgets I have now, or at least got the 1.6TDI.

6 seconds, more like 5 and a minimum of 300bhp too for good measure.

:whistle2:

Nothing I need to justify in regards to this purchase. As I've said head ruled with the S3 and that's all you really need to know.
My heart has own over recently too and I'm happy to hold my hands up when it does, but just not with this.

Heart, Head who gives a s***!!!

We've all Ordered our S3's for different reasons and that's life, but we will all love the car just as much as the next guy I'm sure!!

Heart, Head who gives a s***!!!

We've all Ordered our S3's for different reasons and that's life, but we will all love the car just as much as the next guy I'm sure!!

Or girl ;-)

I think there are a few women on here. Great to see a gender balance in all things IMHO .

6 seconds, more like 5 and a minimum of 300bhp too for good measure.

:whistle2:

Nothing I need to justify in regards to this purchase. As I've said head ruled with the S3 and that's all you really need to know.
My heart has own over recently too and I'm happy to hold my hands up when it does, but just not with this.

What actually 'requires' this sort of performance. I can understand someone wanting it but the a Heart thing and if that's where they want to put there money then fine and they don't need to justify it to me or any one else. But actually 'requiring' it, unless you use an S3 for racing where every second counts.

Ah yes but all these S3 owners are gaining at least a second or two in their 0-62 over that of us humble 'ordinary' A3 owners. :think: But then I agree with Craig, it's their money and their choice, but hey, lets not turn the debate into 'penile' things like how much bhp the car has.

Reactions: cemerson
Ah yes but all these S3 owners are gaining at least a second or two in their 0-62 over that of us humble 'ordinary' A3 owners. :think: QUOTE]

Think you will find it is at least 4 seconds difference (1.4 tfsi vs S3) Nearly twice as quick ;-O

Still say it's head and heart for many of us!

Reactions: cuke2u
Ah yes but all these S3 owners are gaining at least a second or two in their 0-62 over that of us humble 'ordinary' A3 owners. :think: QUOTE]

Think you will find it is at least 4 seconds difference (1.4 tfsi vs S3) Nearly twice as quick ;-O

Still say it's head and heart for many of us!

I'm the first to agree with that...

Funny, the people complaining about head or heart posts dont even own an S3.

the question i believe was aimed at S3 purchasers/owners

It's an A3 forum as well, don't see why the question can't be asked to both!

If we're going to get to the point where S3 owners start complaining that A3 owners are invading 'their' threads, it's just getting stupid.

it can be asked to both, but on this occasion it wasnt

as for complaining about A3 owners and S3 owners, no im not. But I find it odd that people criticise other people on views relating to their own purchase for their own reasons

I havent taken part in the poll, but if i did and said "heart" to ME, MY decision would have been heart. If is said "Head" to ME, MY decision would have been head.

Everything is relative to the person involved. The thread was targeted at S3 purchases, like it or not it was. I didnt start it but the thread title is "Your S3 purchase" now im not saying people shouldnt contribute, but shouldnt be having a go at someone elses decision and rational on a personal purchase

Reactions: CraigI and PilotAudi
I'm not criticising anyone's choice or decision, far from it. I'm just saying I don't think you can say your decision is 100% 'head' when it's a £30k+ hot hatch from a premium brand your are talking about - the idea is preposterous.

It was a bit of both really for me. I looked at a new 135M (too nervous in the wet for my liking. RWD suits bigger cars better IMO) and the A45AMG (far too expensive for what it is really) but ruled them out so that it came down to a new S3 or a 2nd hand M3. With the weather up in Aberdeen RWD can be a struggle so my head went S3. Luckily enough each time I have driven it the S3 has won me over which is not something i ever thought I would say of an Audi! It really is that good!

Reactions: Lmg
I do understand where your coming from. Almost every purchase in life could be deemed a heart purchase other than the essentials to keep breathing/living

i think people may have a more balanced view and compare it between car A vs car B of their own favourites rather than Car A and Car Z, with car Z being the cheapest and most fuel efficient, reliable, largest boot etc

for example someone may want S3 vs RS4, the S3 would be the head choice for cost reasons over the RS4.

to me thats where this thread is aimed at rather than do i need a £30k car vs £20k car vs £2k car vs train vs bus vs bike vs run vs walk

i understand your point but i dont think that was the aim of the thread

If I'd listened to my head I would keep the 7 year old A4, my heart would buy an Alfa 4C (but I've had an Alfa before!).
As I'm not dead yet and would like a sensible everyday car that turns into a lovely driving machine at the push of a button then the S3 fits the bill - for me.

It's an A3 forum as well, don't see why the question can't be asked to both!

If we're going to get to the point where S3 owners start complaining that A3 owners are invading 'their' threads, it's just getting stupid.

I agree, there seems to be far too many threads on the S3 when there is one, long, main S3 thread anyway. I think the moderator should move to put them all into one...

I'm not criticising anyone's choice or decision, far from it. I'm just saying I don't think you can say your decision is 100% 'head' when it's a £30k+ hot hatch from a premium brand your are talking about - the idea is preposterous.

The fact you can't accept that this is very much the case for some of us is the thing that's preposterous.
Like TLR I have a head car and a heart car (albeit nowhere near as impressive as TLR's is), plus the wives car.

ron-burgundy-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

Reactions: Lmg, cemerson and Leeber