Alternative FMIC setup's........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Seen a few FMIC set-ups on a3/s3's like his:

proalloy1zn6.png

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them compared to the inlet/outlet section been at the bottom?
Will this affect how well thw air is cooled as a bigger section of the fmic is located behind the bumper and not the lower grille!

Is that crash-bar cutdown? Doesn't look like it to me. Also looks like you could keep the fogs!
Interesting.

The core is quite thin but there is a lot of surface area... not sure how well it would flow plus while it misses the fogs the headlamp washers may be an issue on S3's and A3's that have them..

<tuffty/>

The core is quite thin but there is a lot of surface area... not sure how well it would flow plus while it misses the fogs the headlamp washers may be an issue on S3's and A3's that have them..

<tuffty/>

Ditto on the washers paul. But i think that would be the only problem.

I think fitment would be a whole lot easier especialy if running larger than 51mm piping.

My only concern is the effect on cooling.

So anyone else got any thoughts on the above set-up? What about the pipe run been shorter? Will this offer a benefit?

shorter pipe run will in hand offer less resistance through the system, so possible some benefit. My main concern would be how much it blocks the airflow to the radiator? There was a company who made a kit for golfs who used a similar design, think they were called mallard engineering, but cant seem to find there site anymore. I would personally stick with the trusty phatter unit

Has anyone bought an Ebay kit, kept their fogs, easy enough fitting, and had good results from it? Really need to know about this so i can get a few things ready for the car this year :)

shorter pipe run will in hand offer less resistance through the system, so possible some benefit. My main concern would be how much it blocks the airflow to the radiator? There was a company who made a kit for golfs who used a similar design, think they were called mallard engineering, but cant seem to find there site anymore. I would personally stick with the trusty phatter unit

yea mallards.... lol, but i heard the kit was a load of duck (i'll get me coat :p )

Has anyone bought an Ebay kit, kept their fogs, easy enough fitting, and had good results from it? Really need to know about this so i can get a few things ready for the car this year :)

S3Paul did IIRC... he did a write up in the FMIC thread I started in the stickies...

<tuffty/>

S3Paul did IIRC... he did a write up in the FMIC thread I started in the stickies...

<tuffty/>

Ye,
I did this, To be fair looking back , as long as you prepaired to trim the inside of the bumper its doable,
As with any job, the first time is a bitch but after that,
Its no biggy.
I wanted to keep my car looking stock to the untrained eye but if you knew what you was looking for...

As for results... all seems well, I havent log'd intakes but its a little cold out to give a fair reading at the moment i would expect.

what bends would be required to custom make the intercooler piping for a3?

intercooler piping kits from ebay are so cheap but would require yourself cutting and joining them together..

No they don't. When I get home I'll post the eBay link of the pipe kit you need for the a3 mate, all the right shapes are pre done for you and to a great standard too.