2006/7 A6 Ipod Connectivity

mattyn

Reaction score
Hi All

HAve been viewing a few cars as, obviously I want one, preferably 3.0TDi Quattro S Line. However I am finding a few have the Bose Hifi, with full colour Sat Nav, but no Ipod connectivity.

How easy would it be to do this after purchase, and is it expensive, and what do I need to ensure the car has before I purchase to make it a relatively inexpensive mod.

Cheers all

Matt

my car has bose and colour sat nav but had no ipod, just buy the Dension 500, I'll happily help you with guidance on fitting, I did my own. I can direct you to a web site that has videos of every stage, very easy and very good, it works with MMI, steering wheel just like factory fit, it even has usb connector so you can have a memory stick full of music!!

Thanks guys - just got to find the right car now - not a lot down in Cornwall - in fact nothing.

Looks like I might have to book a flight up country.

Yes, get the Dension Gateway 500. Got one of eBay for £190 (around £300 new, £410 fitted).
Fit it myself, dropped the glovebox by removing side panel covering fuses and 5 bolts.
Have a small box the rest the glovebox on.
There's a gap in the middle left of the glovebox to feed the cable through.
Dension effectively just plugs in but take great care with fibre optic bit and don't short out the metal box on any live parts like the light.
You keep the CD changer if fitted as well.
Take your permanent live from an unused fuse connector and make sure of a solid Earth via one of the nearby bolts. If MMI appears dead on restarting, check and double check the earth. I had no fault codes or VAGCOM requirements.
No need for iPod, 32GB Sony USB (£25) covers ALL my music.
Plenty of vids and pictures via Google.

What a great plan - HDD music - and make the ipod redundant! Oh how that will annoy the kids! They looked at me like I'd gone out when I got rid of all DVDs and CDs and went all HDD through the network!

They say I am such a dinosaur!!

Thanks for the tip!

Matt

If you don't want or need the CD player then just get the AMI. The install is about a minute to complete, remove the CD-Changer using the radio removal tools, un-plug the power & optic connctions plug them into the AMI and push back into the glove box. However you must have MMI software on 3360 or later for AMI to work.

Having used both the AMI & dension the AMI is the better option IMO.

here is the setup in my a6 lemans
it came with the 6 cd/mp3 changer and the ami. i then added the audi 250gb hard drive.
with the correct lead you can use ipods mp3 players etc.
IMAG0370.jpg