Ebay brakes - Have I been screwed?

Splab333

Reaction score
Hey, I just recieved these brakes in the post eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

But instead of the Mintex pads, I have been given a set of Allied Nippon pads, are these of lesser quality to the Mintex? Should I return them and get them to send the right ones? Obviously i'm not after brembo style performance as I don't have the money for high end brakes but I do at least want what I paid for! Thanks for any input :)

The listing states Mintex and thats what you bought so I would question it and return (at their cost) if they can't supply the correct part...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Danman1
It clearly states mintex pads so that is what you should have received - time to kick off i think. He has some negative feedback along the same line.

Who makes the discs that were supplied just out of curiosity?

Yeah, I saw the 98% positive and went ahead with the purchase...... Just read the last months feedback he has...... The discs are as stated in the ad, they are the panther performance brakes. (although it doesn't say platinum on the box...) They look great and i'm keen to fit them I just hope I don't have to return the whole lot if this guy turns out to be a **** about it.
I have sent an email but after reading the feedback i'm not expecting a reply, it's a shame because the discs are right. Are mintex a better make than these 'motor factor' pads?

Don't worry, i trade using ebay and provided you use paypal you will always win any dispute, should it get that far. 1st ask for a refund and give them 24 hours to reply with a return address or you open a dispute (tell them that) ''SNAD'' seller not as described, even if its your word against theirs, the buyer will always win - a loophole con artists exploit but that's another story! Always return items via 1st class recorded signature and keep your receipt.

I searched Allied Nippon and they just seem like a cheapo make that I guess conform to the lowest safety standards but probably shred in 6 months and make my wheels black every time I drive..

I have now opened a case but they are giving this guy until the 30th to reply..... untill then I can't go ahead with sorting my brakes :(

so the spineless idiot has sort of gotten back to me, no messages so no replies to what I have said but he has offered me a £5 refund through the ebay resolution centre!!!!! Argh..... I guess he's trying to give me some money back for sending lesser quality pads out. I want to keep the discs and use mintex pads and it looks like he isn't gunna budge, what would you guys do? send it all back for a full refund and buy elsewhere? or accept the £5 and fit these pads? Maybe negotiate £10 or £15 back?

Mate dont be tight with brakes. Send them back and buy proper.

Send it all bak and get a full refund. At sellers cost of corse.

i have just messaged him and told him how rediculous it is to not resolve this as he will loose the case, therefore loose a sale as well as the cost of postage times 2!

Reactions: Viking
i wouldnt go near these, pads might be ok but the discs surely cant be any good. for a little more, like £140ish you can get brembo front pads and vented discs. not top of the range by any means but a name you can trust at least

Audi S3 2000 1.8 Brembo Discs & Pads
Quite. I can't find any mention of Panther brakes and clutches or a manufacturers website via Google, other than LK Performance (one of the sellers linked to on Ebay). I doubt they're approved for block exemption, so it's not something I would even fit on the van, never mind the car.

i wouldnt get pads on ebay, so much **** going around you just dont know whats real... china are literally chucking out copys of eveythings.... i was warned off ebay motorcycle chains the other day because theres crap fakes going around...

ring your motor factor and get some ferrodo's on there, or even TPS in marsh barton and go genuine

i fitted EBC grooved discs and red stuff pads and i cant fault them at all . well worth the money!

why you buying off the same seller after he fk'd you over??

why you buying off the same seller after he fk'd you over??

I didn't realise it was until I looked more closely! they have 2 different ebay names!

Would these discs really be unsafe? I'm a bit poor at the moment but not stupid enough to take a risk with brakes, it's just that I read in the brakes sticky that discs are basically discs and it's the pad that counts. I also maybe made a mistake to presume that they must comply to a european standard to be sold by a company in the UK, would this not me the case?

I didn't realise it was until I looked more closely! they have 2 different ebay names!

Would these discs really be unsafe? I'm a bit poor at the moment but not stupid enough to take a risk with brakes, it's just that I read in the brakes sticky that discs are basically discs and it's the pad that counts. I also maybe made a mistake to presume that they must comply to a european standard to be sold by a company in the UK, would this not me the case?

Get on euro car parts for discs. I use plain Pagid discs and they are fine with my DS2500's. ECP had 30% off brakes when I was last on their as well

Parts manufacturers can make brake discs & pads to any standard they want really, and sell them. It's only when you start getting into OEM specification that you get stuff that's got some sort of quality guarantee. Most big name manufacturers will apply for block exemption certification, which means their products are of OEM quality and can be used on cars still under manufacturers warranty without affecting that warranty.

APEC are a cheap brand I use on my works van, and the company has block exemption for all their products. Eicher (sold by Euro Car Parts) I've not managed to find any mention of block exemption for them, so cheap as they are they don't go anywhere near my vehicles.

Without getting into a discussion about whether a certain brake disc is safe or not, I'd be looking at least for a brand name that supplies to main manufacturers or at least block exemption certification.

For the car, I use main dealer stuff only on brakes, and I shop around to get them as cheap as I can. I've no problems with paying a good price for a good product.

well it took ages but I will be getting a full refund :)
It's still a pain that I had to wait all this time and that I have to take the box to the post office at the cost of my time but at least it is resolved. The seller didn't respond once!

I have decided to go for brembo discs but i'm not sure on the pads yet.

If I go for plain brembo discs, is it worth getting pricey pads? I don't drive hard and I got the drilled and grooved ones for looks over anything else. Would it be worth going for brembo max grooved discs?

This is why i'm not a massive fan of ebay, for every person gettin a bargain i'm sure there's a few people having trouble. I am glad you got it resolved.

Go for something like Pagid pads if going std or Ferodo DS2500's if you fancy something with more consistent stopping power...

IMO brakes are important especially on a heavy car like the S3... also worth considering a fluid change if you haven't done one or known of one being done in the past 2 years...

<tuffty/>

MTEC Brakes, Performance Brake Discs, Sport Brake Discs

this website for discs, this is what i use i did alot of research before i bought from here and i couldnt find any bad reports the only thing i did find was that somebody had said there drilled discs crack but iv heard that is just all drilled discs crack eventually. i just paid about 86 quid delivered for a set of 312mm front disc. they come all properly boxed with instructions well made and they look awesome (i go for dimpled and grooved)

im going to run DS2500's with these discs.

I think the lesson here is dont buy brake pads from dodgey sellers on ebay.

Personally i always get discs and pads from euro car parts.