Change Headlight bulbs now sensor beeps

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone come across this problem at all i changed my xenon lights along with the H7 (high beam) ones however sometimes the passenger side xenon lights up then up in a second and the dash beeps at me with a bulb with a X going threw it ? i looked up the error but unsure how to diagnose... any help would be great :salute:

Means the bulb or the ballast is on its way out typically... maybe the ballast as you have changed the bulbs already... the delay in firing the passenger side bulb is most likely whats triggering the 'bulb out' warning indicator

<tuffty/>

hmm so i need a new balast? they expensive or ?... sometimes it beeps and sometimes it doesnt so no idea... it never did these until i changed all 4 bulbs

what bulbs did you use ?

Could try swapping the bulbs across to see if the problem moves... if it does it would suggest the bulb... if it doesn't then the ballast... mine occasionally does this... I haven't changed the bulbs (believe the to be the originals...) but one is a slightly different colour these days IIRC...

<tuffty/>

Could try swapping the bulbs across to see if the problem moves... if it does it would suggest the bulb... if it doesn't then the ballast... mine occasionally does this... I haven't changed the bulbs (believe the to be the originals...) but one is a slightly different colour these days IIRC...

<tuffty/>

yeah i had the same issue one was dull while the other was normal.. so changed it

however would it be important to state i accidentally turned the lights on and the passenger side plug that goes onto the xenon bulb was disconnected and did a ticking noise i immediately turned it off... i really hope i didnt ****** it

the noise will be the ballast trying to fire the bulb.... it shouldn't damage it but never seen it done so don't know for sure...

<tuffty/>

i just went down to check again i try to turn the lights one both of the xenons dont turn on and it beeps .. then i turn them of and bacck on they both light up and stay on.... this sucks

mine do the same just cheap bulbs really live with it o buy the real deal i have ( not being rude )

mine do the same just cheap bulbs really live with it o buy the real deal i have ( not being rude )

hmm if i knew they would do that i would've just bought the original ones.. but im not sure if anyone else is having a problem lorryz didnt report any problem of the sort so im dumb founded

The bulbs I bought are working perfectly, no beeping and fire up straight away. Time will tell of course, but for now the are great.

I guess it could have been luck of the draw. But at the time, I recommended them as they seemed like a cheaper alternative to oem, and they worked (for me at least).

It does suck if its down to the bulbs, but it would suck more if it was the balasts.

Did you try refitting the oem units to see if the fault disappears?

i can try refitting one of them as i dropped one of them pulling it out as its quite tight tbh without bumper off...i think more likely i blew a fuse.... as now both of them turn on then off in a matter of exactly 1 second... so thats what im thinking? anyone know where i can locate the fuse and the number on it ? i think what i need is to maybe try them on some other S3 and see if it does the same then ill let retrofit know about it as im not the happiest person atm driving with just the lower fog lights

Anyone at all or no clue? Its driving me nuts cant see much on the road

i thought id update this if some else had the same issue fitting non-genuine bulbs...i fitted one of the old bulbs and they worked so no fuse no ballast issue its the sodding bulbs thats faulty. now to get on retrofits *** to get a replacement or whatever...

funny thing half the lights i got aren't functioning expect the H7's lol must have shi*t luck

just wondering would that be an appropriate change.. genuine etc.. want get any problems? the dealer wants 190 pounds for them

Genuine PHILIPS D2S 85122 35W 4300K Xenon HID Bulb Made in GERMANY | eBay

Last edited:
well just to put an end to this thread just got my set of new Xenon bulbs today... bought em of this bloke

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d�r

they worked fine and fired up as they are meant too .. tried 3 times and everything was fine no bulb out warning...

as for any morimoto bulbs DONT BUY EM! all i can say 100$ waste but oh well ... atleast i got lights now :)