My S3 0-60 videos

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Been meaning to do this for ages ...

Took the car out to a flat deserted road, taped a small camera to the steering wheel, and recorded some 0-60 times.

Road was damp but not wet, traction control switched on but didn't activate.

Run 1 - 5.9 seconds
Run 2 - 6.2 seconds
Run 3 - 5.9 seconds

It's quite addictive but was running out of petrol so had to stop! Reckon I could shave a few tenths of a second off with practice.

Hope this is of some interest.

Good vids, but why are you changing gear at 6000rpm and not 7000rpm as surely you would be faster as you wouldnt have to go into 3rd

[ QUOTE ]
Good vids, but why are you changing gear at 6000rpm and not 7000rpm as surely you would be faster as you wouldnt have to go into 3rd

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't get 60 in 2nd gear in the S3...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What power you putting out mate ? is it a stage one ?

Surely there not as standard figures.

6000rpm is jus above peak power why would you rev to 7000 ?

This is the first time I've done this, I've never been on a track day or raced or anything. Love to receive tips on getting the best out of the car from a standing start.

I've got AMD stage 1 - AMD's rollers said 261BHP. I use Optimax only these days too which does seem to improve the response.

I changed gear at 6000 as torque seems to drop off after that, and Audiboy is correct, even at 7000 you can't quite get to 60 in second. The 0-60 would be around 5 secs if you could!

I would agree about not getting into 60 in 2nd (not sure about chipped S3 but I would say taking it to 7000rpms in first would defently help, and even in second in my opinion. Here's a good tip for quicker shifting (Don't let go of the gas, just slam the clucth change as quick as possible and let go, all with the gas pushed to the end or near end). Good launch would probably be takin it to 4000rpms in a "controlled" manner lol and lettin it rip

So if you carry out the test again, this time extending the rev range towards 7,000 revs, we will know if it is better to change at 6,000 revs or higher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok so you cant get 60 in second and peak power is around 6k you learn somthing new everyday when researching a car even the attitude of the owners!!

i would of thought that reving your engine to 7k is not a good idea.

But each to their own.

[ QUOTE ]
What RPM were you launching at? 4k or 4.5k?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was around 4k, I didn't really think about it at the time.

Sorry to pi$$ on your cornflakes but 60mph on my speedo is more like 56mph on my gps.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to pi$$ on your cornflakes but 60mph on my speedo is more like 56mph on my gps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, this wasn't a scientific test, just a bit of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TBH its still good performance considering you have to shift twice.

I've been nursing my best mates MR FQ-320 for a fortnight which is meant to do 62 in 4.7 seconds or something and it seems alot lot slower than the figures suggest.

I know its quicker than my S3 but it would be interesting to see what 2 secs looks like on the road as it doesnt feel like a great deal when you get a prefect launch.

Have you got an uprated exhaust on rob? It sounds much meatier than mine - maybe its your chip?

[ QUOTE ]
Have you got an uprated exhaust on rob? It sounds much meatier than mine - maybe its your chip?

[/ QUOTE ]

rob?

It sounds fantastic on the clip doesn't it? But it's a standard exhaust. It's an illusion of the video's sound recording, it doesn't sound like that really!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rob?

It sounds fantastic on the clip doesn't it? But it's a standard exhaust. It's an illusion of the video's sound recording, it doesn't sound like that really!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, got you confused, But yeah it does sound good on the clip! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seems strange? My 1.8T will reach 60 in second before you need to change up? A mate of mine with a 180bhp Cupra says his would reach 60 in 2nd also?

Neither of these had a remap.

My A3 has then 5 speed box.

My mates 180bhp cupra had the 6 speed.

He's now got the cupra r (225) with forge remap that'll reach 60 with ease in 2nd?

Even when red-lining it, and even with a remap, the S3 cannot quite reach 60 in second.

I changed gear around 6,000rpm, because I can feel the car has peaked - there's not much extra power delivered between 6,000 and 7,000 so it's best to change up.

But of course you lose power whilst changing so it's probably down to personal choice.

maybe the Cupra 225 has a different gear ratio setup? just a thought

As said above, the S3 can't hit 60 in second.. It gets close though (around 57 IIRC).

I assume Imprezas can get to 60 in second? I'm sure they would p*** all over the S3 up to 60 but 0-100 might be more even?

If you look at the 50-70 figures etc the S3 is a lot quicker.

[ QUOTE ]
I assume Imprezas can get to 60 in second?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 5 speed ones certainly can.