Measuring car amp drainage, how?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
As above, how do you measure the standing drainage usage of our cars? Went to maplins over the weekend and bought a multimeter, the guy started explaining it to me but he just went off on several random tangents and just lost me lol.

Pop the multimeter terminals onto the battery, set the multimeter accordingly sit back and watch!

Don't put across pos and negative that will blow the meter It's in amps and meter goes inline of pos i. e one lead on pos lead one on battery . And make sure it's running with what ever load your desire to measure. Check the rating of the meter first.

Whats the dealio??

You got some battery drainage??

Battery went dead mate. Cars not really getting used these days so looking to buy a solar trickle charger and i want to see what the standing drain is to size the right trickle charger up.

Standing drain I believe should only be very minute, i believe its something like 1milliamp.

Mine did the same. Had to buy a new battery on saturday. Struggled to start in the morning then wouldnt start after that had to bump it about 4 times. New battery on and all is well. Will be checking it when the other half gets home with my multimeter.

I've done this before. Don't do it over the battery terminals and don't do it across the live terminal either. Do it this way (copy pasted from my project thread)

"In your case sir, I would grab the diagram of fuses from your manual then get a mate to help you. Open the front door so you can get to the fuses, open the bonnet so you can get to the battery. Lock the bonnet lock manually by pushing in the latch (mimicing the bonnet being shut) and then disconnect the negative terminal off the battery. Put your multimeter across the chassis and negative terminal in current mode, make sure you have a good connection to each, and then fire the door locks. Keep holding the multimeter in place (this is where having a mate helps ) and wait around 5 mintues for the car to enter sleep mode. Now you can see the actual drain on your battery. Around 20mA is normal, mine was 370mA before which is not normal lol. Then go through disconnecting the suspect fuses and see which one drops the current. After you figure out which loom is doing it, you'll have to investigate further."

Reactions: Dani_B19
I dont think their is anything draining it excessively I just think its the normal features and the fact the car can be stood for weeks at a time without been used.