head gasket ?thermostat?water pump?split hose?

jonny quest

Reaction score
Hi guys , new to the forum and very helpful so far :) but here another brain teaser lol
so just recently (last night)on my 1.8t a3 quattro 180bhp Id checked the engine after a long drive , and found was hotter than normal but the temp guage was at normal operatin temperature , so i unscrewed the header tank and it all bubbled up and under alot of pressure and thought wtf , then it started like sucking the water back in to the engine , then came aloada of water underneath the car on the floor ,by this point I had to have a ciggarette and gather my thoughts lol went back to the car and the header was filled with water at the normal mark I thought hang on whats the water on the floor then lol so started it up and steam came out of exhaust but since driving it this morning theres no steam or no leaks showing and its all normal and no engine lights on and still goes like a stabbed rat :)
Any help with this guys is v much appreciated:kissmyrings:

Never open the header tank when the car is hot, it's a pressurised system and you're lucky you didn't burn yourself.

To me it sounds like water just rushed out of the header tank when you opened it, if there was a leak it wouldn't just leak when you open the header tank.

Agreed , wasnt v sensible thing to do:keule:but would that explain the excessive amount of steam out of the exhaust? and that when there was water at the back of the engine bay and not by the expansion tank and afterwards coolant levels were normal:ambivalence: may be too much coolant and overflowed out through the overflow pipe at top of headertank Due to over pressurisation......may be?

When was the stream coming out of the exhaust? Was this the next day once the car had cooled? It could just be condensation and nothing to worry about. I doubt coolant has got into the exhaust. When you opened the tank I can only presume the pressure sprayed the coolant around the engine bay but you didn't actually loose that much coolant or it was previously overfilled.

Personally I would just forget about it and unless you start losing coolant or having other issues, don't worry about it. Doesn't seem anything is wrong otherwise you'd be having more problems

If the gauge was at normal why did you think it was hotter than normal?
long run hot turbo and exhaust= hotter engin bay.

I was also going to mention this. Although your temp gauge will show 90 degrees even if you're around 100 degrees. Although I doubt I would be able to tell the difference just by feeling the engine bay.

When you get a new car it is only natural to worry about any little thing that sounds or feels "strange", I get it all the time haha

The puddle of water could be your aircon.

You may want to check your coolant levels when the engine is COLD, and top up with engine coolant to replace what was lost (if it was much).

Never undo the cap on any expansion tank when the engine has been running. Risky biscuits.