Goodbye

Simonrich

Reaction score
I am leaving the group as my A3 has now departed, traded in for a second hand Q3, I thought I could get use to the dreadful road/tyre noise from the Continental tyres but after 10 months I finally gave up the fight, also when the weather turned bad their lack of grip proved dangerous on the back roads where I live. The car had many good points, mainly the superb engine and stronic gearbox but the tyres spoilt an otherwise great car.

Would it not have been cheaper to change the tyres rather than the car if they were really that bad?

I have the continentals and can't say that they're *that* bad, but each to their own. Hope the Q3 suits your needs better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sliced, RYuill, Brennan and 5 others
Winter tyres on a FWD beats a 4wd on summer tyres I belive. I'm desperate for some snow down south so I can drive past some BMW X5s in more control then them!

Mmm. I don't have any problem with noise on my A3. I think it is quite quiet really. And when I need some new tyres I have picked up tips from this forum as to quieter ones.
We live in a rural area with twisty roads and find the grip fine.

Just wondering why a Q3 would be any better actually.

I am very happy with the continentals on my A3 Saloon. Nice ride and
not noisy at all. :)

No issues for me with Continentals....

They are just an "OK" tyre - nothing special

Winter tyres on a FWD beats a 4wd on summer tyres I belive.

Oh any day of the week. Lost count of how many times I've seen "lifestyle SUVs" or "soft-roaders" or whatever the hell you want to call them stuck in icy conditions because their owners thought they were in a Land Rover.

Reactions: Redgrouse
someone changed their car because of noisy tires?????
o_O:undwech::wtf:

18" Conti's on a S3 are pretty bad on brushed concrete.

GY F1E Assy2's are better, but still the road noise is not great in a A3/S3. Plenty of threads on here about it.

I find mines quiet. That's on 17" conti

I had an A4 as a loan car and that was really noisy

I did find the tyres on my 184 were noisier than the tyres on the S3, it could be quite annoying but it did seem that the tyres didn't suit some road surfaces. On smooth fine grain with less PSC it was very quiet.

Before I bought my A3 Saloon, I had a Volkswagen Jetta. I always ran Michelin on it, great tires. On the new A3 Saloon, they came with Continental which I never had before. Great ride and surprised how quiet they are.