Correct tyre pressure for 225/40/18 Yokohama AD08-R?

Stig555

Reaction score
I just got a new set of tyres for my 2011 S3 Sportback. I'm running a set of 225/40/18 Yokohama AD08-R. What is the correct tyre pressure I should be using? The tire shop suggested 32 all around which seems low. I was reading on there and some people were suggesting over 40 psi which seems really high. Any thoughts?

You should have your recommended tyre pressure settings on a label inside the fuel filler cover or inside drivers door. Also should be in your handbook. Tyre shop settings seem low to me.

Last edited:
You should check the factory pressure from the sticker or handbook and use this as your 'default' setting.

If you are unhappy with the drive of the car at those pressures, change them until you find a happy medium.

I use 36PSI in the front and 32PSI in the rear. In my experience the factory pressure is way too high.

Sticker on the lower drivers door will tell you recommended tyre pressures.

Remember your pressures should be set when cold and also bearing in mind the load that you will be carrying.
So for our 2010 S3 they are

for 225/40 R18 92Y XL

3 People with some luggage
Front 42 Rear 33

Carrying 5 people with boot full
Front 45 Rear 44

If you're running winter tyres then

225/40 R18 92V XL M+S

3 People with some luggage
Front 45 Rear 39

Carrying 5 people with boot full
Front 48 Rear 46

Appreciate the some people adjust downwards if say there is only a driver and no passengers. However, I always use the setting as shown for 3 people from both our S3 and BMW and haven't found the settings too soft or hard.

Reactions: Sayam
I find for fast driving and balance 38 works all round for me, even wear, good balance.

Reactions: Stig555
I find for fast driving and balance 38 works all round for me, even wear, good balance.
Strange to have same setting given weight distribution is heavily orientated towards the front wheels. Still if it works for you .....

Reactions: Sayam
38 front and 34 rear seems to work for me. Never been told that a different tyre brand should affect what pressure you go with?

38 front and 34 rear seems to work for me. Never been told that a different tyre brand should affect what pressure you go with?

Me too but I think what the OP means is different tyres have different sidewall stiffness and therefore react differently to the pressure etc