DRL Bulb Swap / Fitting guide needed

Ali A4

Livin' The Dream!
Reaction score
Hi, I've been trying to find a step by step guide for how to remove and replace the DRL bulbs on a 2009 A3 8P. So far no luck on here..
I've bought a pair of LEDs to replace the standard yellow halogen bulbs and attempted to swap them over yesterday with a mate who is a mechanic and we just couldnt find a way to get enough access to get to the bulbs and remove them. We even had the car on the ramp with the wheels off to access from below but there still wasn't enough room.
Surely there must be a simpler way to get to them without having to go through the hassle of removing the bumper to access the headlights?
Mine is a 2.0 TDi S-line model so I dont know how this compares with space under the bonnet compared with other varients but imagine they're all quite compact in the engine bay.
The picture doesnt do it justice but they also have some weird clips on them and i couldnt get my fingers in there?!
Help is greatly appreciated, many thanks..

There is no picture? Are yours the led drl headlights?

Hi Scott, No mine are the halogen DRL's but I'm trying to swap to an LED bulbs..

There is no picture? Are yours the led drl headlights?
IMG 2742

IMG 2743

IMG 2744

No ideas people?
Is it really a bumper off job just to swap a couple of bulbs?
Audi really dont make it easy do they, I even phoned East Kent Audi for some advise and they were really unhelpful and just told me to refer to the owners handbook which doesnt say the best way to gain access.

It's the same as mine, there a fu**ing nightmare! They twist out, don't pull them or try to unclip them, they twist out and the bulb will pull off the cable/holder. I have had them out before without taking the bumper off, it was hard but it can be done, it's a good idea to wear some thick gloves as the end of your fingers will be sore as hell! I'd give it a try at twisting them out and failing that id just take the bunper off.

it's a bumper off job mate! otherwise it's 3 hours of swearing and a possible trip to the hospital for a sew up job

Cheers guys, will give it a go tomorrow.. Hope its worth it, ha!

Hi great info. Where did you get the led from. Any link please. Thanks