Best clutch for Stage 1 remap - slippage

Kiwi79

Reaction score
Had my car remapped at AMD recently, made a nice 306bhp/342lb/ft and drives very nicely but I think this latter number is proving a little too much for the poor clutch.

Getting just bit of slip when accelerating. What is the current favourite choice for an uprated replacement and are there any other parts recommended. I am a bit confused about the flywheel which it seems is a good idea to replace at the same time and see some people talk about single mass versus dual?

I would like a setup that will tolerate a launch or two if I ever go to Santa Pod and not make a grumble about in gear acceleration. Basically If I'm spending close to a grand it had better last!

Thanks

Pop Sachs into the search box. Or tone down the map a bit if you are not going for stage 2.

As above...Sachs organic plus DMF if you don't do drag starts.

Reactions: s3_trev
As Alex said. By far the most popular choice. Thats what I have and its handling stage 2+ so should be more than enough for you.

Sachs but if you have future plans I'd look into the spec clutches

Reactions: S3Alex
Sachs but if you have future plans I'd look into the spec clutches
Also good advice.

The 3+ is traffic friendly and tough.

Reactions: S3_Mat
i recently had a southbend stage 3 daily installed and it's pretty traffic friendly unless stuck in a jam when it becomes a bit annoying. only thing to look out for is noise associated with single mass if thats the way you are heading. mine is unfortunately louder than i would have liked...

i recently had a southbend stage 3 daily installed and it's pretty traffic friendly unless stuck in a jam when it becomes a bit annoying. only thing to look out for is noise associated with single mass if thats the way you are heading. mine is unfortunately louder than i would have liked...
How loud are you talking ???

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The sachs sound a good bet then, but would it survive a day at the Pod if I felt that way inclined in the future - probably not but you never know (say 6 or so passes)? Keen to avoid the "dry clutch ducati bag of nuts and bolts" sound as I think it would make the car difficult to sell to anyone bar an enthusiast, "What's that noise? Oh well let me explain..."

Essentially I want a road driveable option as I live London so the odd jam up is pretty common, don't fancy any weird noises and want one which can take the power - too much to ask:chuncky:, maybe I have to compromise somewhere. A bit of extra peddle stiffness is not a problem.

So If I want to launch it Spec 3+ is the best choice or are there any other contenders? How would it feel compared to the Sachs?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The sachs sound a good bet then, but would it survive a day at the Pod if I felt that way inclined in the future - probably not but you never know (say 6 or so passes)? Keen to avoid the "dry clutch ducati bag of nuts and bolts" sound as I think it would make the car difficult to sell to anyone bar an enthusiast, "What's that noise? Oh well let me explain..."

Essentially I want a road driveable option as I live London so the odd jam up is pretty common, don't fancy any weird noises and want one which can take the power - too much to ask:chuncky:, maybe I have to compromise somewhere. A bit of extra peddle stiffness is not a problem.

So If I want to launch it Spec 3+ is the best choice or are there any other contenders? How would it feel compared to the Sachs?
It's always a compromise ,helix also do a clutch but if you are tuning your car then your sort of limiting the sale market anyway most people who have no interest in performance upgrades on 'sports cars' will have pre conceived ideas on tuned cars that will put them off anyway

Tone down the torque and go standard ? That's what I did with stage 1 ED30. Maybe it's different with S3's ?!

I've used both the Sachs and the Spec.

The Sachs is NOT a good choice for launches or drag runs,but is a good everyday choice for Stg2+.

The Spec is a full face carbon/metallic clutch plus SMF,aimed at race use,and is pretty much bulletproof,currently running around 540lbs on my car.
As it's a full-face clutch,and not a paddle type,it's absolutely fine in traffic,and will cope with being slipped a bit,where a paddle type will usually snatch or judder,and also feels quite light in use.

The downside,is chatter at idle.

Reactions: Allman45
I've used both the Sachs and the Spec.

The Sachs is NOT a good choice for launches or drag runs,but is a good everyday choice for Stg2+.

The Spec is a full face carbon/metallic clutch plus SMF,aimed at race use,and is pretty much bulletproof,currently running around 540lbs on my car.
As it's a full-face clutch,and not a paddle type,it's absolutely fine in traffic,and will cope with being slipped a bit,where a paddle type will usually snatch or judder,and also feels quite light in use.

The downside,is chatter at idle.

Where do you buy these Alex?

Where do you buy these Alex?

AMD and Backdraft are agents for Spec clutches,and obviously it was AMD that imported and fitted mine.

Reactions: Allman45
Did you have to pay import duty when amd billed u Alex ?

470lbs is the quoted figure on awesome gti with the uprated plate

470lbs on a Sachs?

Am I reading that right?

Checked that ... 470 lbs refers to the sintered paddle clutch not the organic.

Last edited:
we run sachs with standard dmf's in a lot of our cars never had a problem

The Sachs was fine on mine up to 440lbs at Stg3 when it began to slip.
Not bad for something rated to 400lbs.

Yeah 400 or 470 not bad

400lbs is the correct figure for the organic plate.

The paddle clutch will accept a higher loading but you may not find it very traffic friendly.
Most paddle clutches behave a bit like switches I.e. In or out and won't tolerate being slipped in traffic or on hills.

The Spec is by far the best compromise between ease of use all round and load capacity.

400lbs is the correct figure for the organic plate.

The paddle clutch will accept a higher loading but you may not find it very traffic friendly.
Most paddle clutches behave a bit like switches I.e. In or out and won't tolerate being slipped in traffic or on hills.

The Spec is by far the best compromise between ease of use all round and load capacity.

How much is the spec? The Sachs is circa £550

How much is the spec? The Sachs is circa £550

That's minus the DMF.

All in the Sachs kit will be about £2-300 cheaper and the Spec is around £1300.

I would say if you have any intention of going on thestrip get the spec as killing the Sachs will cost u more in the long run

Reactions: S3Alex
I honestly wish I had known about the lack out suitable clutches for the S3 before getting it mapped. It appears from what has been said on here the only choice is get Sachs or similar plus DMF and granny it off the lights, crossing your fingers every time you open the taps in 3rd gear or get a Spec 3+ SMF which sounds like it would work out at about £1600 or thereabouts fitted which is frankly mental plus the added bonus of the car sounding even more like a diesel than it already does.

Arghhh #firstworldproblems

Had an Exedy Pink organic in my previous car (about 100kg less than the A3 mind) and that seemed rock solid at 330lb/ft

I honestly wish I had known about the lack out suitable clutches for the S3 before getting it mapped. It appears from what has been said on here the only choice is get Sachs or similar plus DMF and granny it off the lights, crossing your fingers every time you open the taps in 3rd gear or get a Spec 3+ SMF which sounds like it would work out at about £1600 or thereabouts fitted which is frankly mental plus the added bonus of the car sounding even more like a diesel than it already does.

Arghhh #firstworldproblems

Had an Exedy Pink organic in my previous car (about 100kg less than the A3 mind) and that seemed rock solid at 330lb/ft

I wouldn't say you need to granny the Sachs,just treat it with a bit of respect.
After all,I did get all the way to Stg3 with one.

The big difference with something like a Spec Stg3+ is that the gearbox will break before the clutch will,and you do have to bear in mind that if you uprate one area,the next weakest component then becomes the fail point,like the driveshafts,or gearbox bearings.

The truth is that there are sufficient suitable clutches,out there,but you have to choose whether you want the car sounding and feeling like stock,or able to absorb a lot of extra torque.
The fact that you can put 540lbs through a stock gearbox is impressive in itself,but I wouldn't drag it or launch it.

That's reassuring to hear Alex, so avoid the repeated launches of the strip and I should be OK with a sachs organic. It's only stage 1 and staying that way (too expensive otherwise!). Do you not miss the ability to launch your car, seems a shame with all that extra power. Can you give it WOT in yours in 1st once off the clutch?

That's reassuring to hear Alex, so avoid the repeated launches of the strip and I should be OK with a sachs organic. It's only stage 1 and staying that way (too expensive otherwise!). Do you not miss the ability to launch your car, seems a shame with all that extra power. Can you give it WOT in yours in 1st once off the clutch?

Put it this way....I bedded the Sachs in over around 500miles,and didn't abuse it.

It lasted over 30 000 miles before eventually starting to slip at 440lbs.

Power isn't the problem on mine ....it's torque.
540lbs is twice what the car arrived with,and it comes in pretty quickly after 4000rpm,and still produces over 440lbs at peak rpm,so launches are a lottery I would say.

The ECU is programmed for launch control,with a hold point of 4000rpm,just below where the turbo really hits it's stride,but it's not something I feel happy with.
Given a rolling start it's more than fast enough.