S3 catch can

S3dave1990

Reaction score
Hi all,
Installed my forge catch can the other day, and now when I take off the filler cap the idle stays the same? I thought this was a symptom of a faulty pcv, also the missus started the car today and a load of white smoke poured out the back took it round the block and no more smoke, and the oil smells of fuel, there is abit of smoke coming from the oil filler with the cap removed, could this be a fuel pump / follower issue?

Cheers
Dave w

Hi all,
Installed my forge catch can the other day, and now when I take off the filler cap the idle stays the same? I thought this was a symptom of a faulty pcv, also the missus started the car today and a load of white smoke poured out the back took it round the block and no more smoke, and the oil smells of fuel, there is abit of smoke coming from the oil filler with the cap removed, could this be a fuel pump / follower issue?

Cheers
Dave w

If you're fortunate,and a faulty PCV is allowing a fair bit of oil into the inlet,then it may be simple enough.

The other things that could be possible would be as before,the cam follower,or possibly turbo oil seals.
You need to get this to a decent garage asap.

The fact that everything was OK up until you fitted the catch can tends to make you think there may be a problem with that side of things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys it was smoking abit before it was fitted only at higher rpms and it was abit black and white the smoke so I'm told, I thought the catch tank would've solved the white smoke issue and the black could be leaking pump injectors? I thought the engine would've been hunting when I removed the oil cap with the catch tank on or does it not do it with them? It's recently been in for a service and I checked the oil level just then while it was warm and it was near the max so possibly overfilled oil and pressure had pushed it past a seal? I'm just clutching at straws now :( knowing my luck it'll be a £3000 bill, luckily turbo is covered under warranty so that'll be money saved if it is that, I'm gunna have a look at the follower and the fuel pump seal when it's cooled down

Cheers
Dave w

I thought cam followers were only £25 lmao

Cheers
Dave w

Reactions: S3Alex
If you're happy and competent doing this yourself,then fine,but otherwise a good reliable tuner is the answer.

Smoking is often down to worn turbo oil seals,but something has clearly changed since you fitted the catch can.

Cheers Alex the car has been abit down on power lately so possibly could be a goosed turbo it's on about 67000 now original turbo, time for a hybrid maybe?

Cheers
Dave w

Reactions: S3Alex
Cheers Alex the car has been abit down on power lately so possibly could be a goosed turbo it's on about 67000 now original turbo, time for a hybrid maybe?

Cheers
Dave w

Possibly.
I'm not good with the oily bits so I leave it all to the likes of AMD and Storm,but the whole thing is tracking down where the problem really is on these engines.

I changed my cam follower a few weeks back at 56000 miles and was hardly worn, but I have just stage 1 tuned and will be changing the follower every year now. If it was the cam follower I wouldnt drive it as the metal bits will be in the engine, hopefully in the sump, but they can make there way to the timing-belt side of things, know you know what that could mean.
More should be said for the cam follower on 2.0 tfsi engines and should be a serviceable item every 20k or so, but there not.
Black smoke normally means the car is running rich and burning more fuel than needed, white is oil.

Yeah that's why I thought leaky injectors or seal in the fuel pump or worn follower, like you say audismart better to be safe than sorry looking at my histor there is no mention of a follower anywhere so possibly have 70k on this one GULP!! I'm going to tps to pick up a follower and a seal for the pump, going back to the issue with the catch tank, should the engine idle change when the dipstick or oil cap is removed like a working oem pcv would or is it different with the catch tanks not having the valve in them, it's a forge recirc tank

Cheers lads
Dave w

Well I looked at my car today, I let the engine idle and took off the crank breather and the was a lot of pressure blowing from the rocker cover which which is I'm assuming why there was no circulation in the catch tank system at idle hence the plumes of smoke, I put the standard pcv back on and no smoke idles fine engine hunts when removing oil cap, it never did that with the catch tank,

Has anyone else had any problems like this running a catch tank? Am I better off going for the revised pcv or is there an underlying problem not allowing me to use a catch tank?

Cheers
Dave w

Well I looked at my car today, I let the engine idle and took off the crank breather and the was a lot of pressure blowing from the rocker cover which which is I'm assuming why there was no circulation in the catch tank system at idle hence the plumes of smoke, I put the standard pcv back on and no smoke idles fine engine hunts when removing oil cap, it never did that with the catch tank,

Has anyone else had any problems like this running a catch tank? Am I better off going for the revised pcv or is there an underlying problem not allowing me to use a catch tank?

Cheers
Dave w

I ran a Forge catch tank for some time,with no problems at all.

Sounds to me as if there's something blocked somewhere either in the pipework,or the adapter plate.

I checked the tank blew through the pipes all clear, adapter plate all clear, I disconnected the crank breather hose and the fumes were blowing out of the rocker cover a lot more than was coming from the crank breather there was also blowing from first outlet on the adapter plate but no suction from the return pipe does the rear breather ever get blocked at all?, I'm stumped to be honest as like you say a fair few people run them with no problem, I heard there was a pcv in the rocker cover also?
Cheers
Dave w